Old 09-14-2011, 02:45 AM   #1
borg64
Human being with feelings

Default How do I draw MIDI envelopes?

Hey folks,

I just hit a wall here. Is there any way to draw MIDI envelopes in Reaper, similar to drawing other automation/FX envelopes, i.e. using bezier curves, linear fades etc? I'm trying to get a long MIDI pitch bend going slowly for a couple of octaves and then rising more steeply at the end (so a bezier curve would be excellent), but recording this long passage with my controllers proved to be hell, and doing it manually with the mouse in the pitch envelope lane even more so.

I just want to create a start and an end point in the MIDI envelope, and then manipulate the in-between. Is it possible?

I'm very thankful for any advice here!

Sven

Borglab website and Borglab on Twitter.
borg64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:02 AM   #2
gofer
-blänk-

- Insert an instance of ReaControlMIDI on the track (eg by rightclick the track header -> "MIDI track control" -> "Show MIDI track control panel")
- Enable the Control Change section of the plugin and select "Pitch Wheel" for one of the sliders.
- Touch the slider and then click the button labeled "Param". In that menu hit "Show track envelope". The pitch wheel envelope should now appear on the track.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:19 AM   #3
borg64

Gofer - you're a lifesaver! Many thanks, this worked like a charm.

Sven

Old 09-14-2011, 03:46 AM   #4
mikeroephonics

Gofer has the answer!

I literally just started using ReaControlMIDI w/parameter envelopes last night for controlling my VSTi modwheel assignments.

I never considered using it until I realized ReaControlMIDI is a VST effect, and can therefore have a parameter envelop in the Media Item lane in REAPER!

Until we (if at all) get envelopes in the MIDI Editor CC Lane, ReaControlMIDI is the best way to handle smooth, precise CC adjustments. And you can control it with a MIDI Controller!
Old 09-14-2011, 03:54 AM   #5
gofer
-blänk-

Of course it works with JS plugins as well , so if you find one with pitch wheel control you could use that just the same. Tracks I use for MIDI all have ReaControlMIDI plus an instance of MIDI_Tool II inserted. MIDI_Tool gives me control over velocity scaling and transpose which I miss in ReaControlMIDI.

Also worth mentioning: Even if you don't need an envelope, it's great to have some track control knobs with parameters you often use on the track headers. Assign/learn the controls you want and save as FX chain, so it's easy to achieve next time.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:40 AM   #6
borg64

Good stuff, I'll be sure to investigate the bundled MIDI specific plugins more closely. Thanks again!