Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-13-2023, 05:23 AM   #1
AZ Entertainment
Human being with feelings

Default Can Someone Estimate: How Many People Use REAPER? (and how much have bought it)

Just curious, does anyone know how many people use REAPER. And how much have bought it? I couldn't find much info about this, all I found was a post from 2012 that says that about 700k users bought REAPER and about 800k are using it without a license. But who's gonna go on extremely outdated info? So let's assume that FL Studio is one of the biggest DAWs, and I found that around 5 million people use it (from a trust me bro type forum) so assuming that REAPER is the 4th maybe 5th most used DAW, I can assume that around 1-2 million people use it. But I want up to date accurate stats, so does anyone have any rough info about this? Thanks.

Last edited by AZ Entertainment; 10-14-2023 at 01:16 AM.
AZ Entertainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 11:02 AM   #2
Softsynth

Forum "Members: 130,403"

Is it really only a tiny percentage signing up to the forums for such a complex product?

I'm guessing those that sign up are far more likely to be active users as opposed to people that just bought yet another program to try then forget - much like gym memberships!
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 02:22 PM   #3
RunBeerRun

I bought my 2nd license during reaper 3, and currently use the 32 bit version of reaper 4.402.

I don't think people are using it without a license, I think they're using a stolen license. And plenty of those people are just machines.
Old 10-13-2023, 05:12 PM   #4
AZ Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post

Is it really only a tiny percentage signing up to the forums for such a complex product?

I'm guessing those that sign up are far more likely to be active users as opposed to people that just bought yet another program to try then forget - much like gym memberships!
Are you saying that most users pirated REAPER and it doesnt have as many active users compared to other DAWs? Then why is REAPER considered "a popular DAW?"
Old 10-13-2023, 09:26 PM   #5
Pink Wool

I think only a small portion of Reaper users would ever sign up to a forum. There's quite a number of people in the Reaper reddit too who aren't members here. Most people don't really need/tend to chat or ask questions online if they start using a DAW.

I was quite active on MidJourney (the AI image platform) last year and they had way over 5 million users at that point. On Discord, in their own forums, I would chat with about 10-15 actually active members. So yeah, forums users does not equel Reaper users.
Old 10-13-2023, 10:09 PM   #6
klong

It would be interesting to know. I'm guessing REAPER doesn't collect a lot of invasive stuff via telemetry, but most of us probably have the default "check of updates" thing, so I assume they have statistics on how many unique active users they have in a given time period.
klong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 12:36 AM   #7
X-Raym

Numbers claims in first post are indeed not verifiable. 👀You can compare official forums members count for eg. or main facebook group for each daw.

It will still not count how many sales it corresponds too, it doesnt filter unactive /duplicate accounts, and mostly, user without account, and some other disparities (maybe some DAW forum is less popular because it's forum engine has issue etc) but at least it would be more the same thing.

Note that for companies that are quoted on stock market, they may have obligation to publish detailed annualy reports, by departement.
If business model is subscription based, just takes sales departement earning and divide by the price of the software to have an estimation of number of sales.
That would still not count unlicensed users though (people with trials, people using it in an organization, cracks, people not updating, people using it not often etc).
Limitation here is that DAW companies in stock exchange isnt that common.Other source for current user count would be annual polls that occurs on known sounds tech magasine like KVR.

But again, not everyone goes on these, we dont know how much % of members do take time to make the poll etc...

It may over-represent US members as well.So, if you found only outdated and unsourced informations, this is because there is no way to know.Some meaningful data are private (for eg, number of reaper download per release, number of total sales...), maybe they are not even aggregated... but mostly, all metrics hide a lots of other use case (people not upgrading etc).
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 12:52 AM   #8
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Entertainment View Post
Are you saying that most users pirated REAPER and it doesnt have as many active users compared to other DAWs? Then why is REAPER considered "a popular DAW?"
All I am suggesting is that purchasing something doesn't equal using it, and that genuine active users is a more interesting figure. Of course even that's hard to tell from forum members as some folks ask a couple of questions and shortly after give up, or maybe they choose a different DAW because they're mate uses it or whatever. Billions of £$ are spent on gym memberships ever year yet a substantial percentage don't even go!

People sign up to things they like the idea of. Maybe it's a question of how people think of themselves (much as Christians that never actually go to church, or practice anything to do with Christianity) - what type of people they are?
Reaper being dirt cheap inevitably a huge percentage will be people that barely ever used it.
Another way to look at it is asking if we don't know if these people are really using Reaper what use is it knowing the sales figures?
Certainly it's a very large number indeed and Cockos's tiny team does a vast amount of work for an enormous active user base. Bang for buck off the scale.
Old 10-14-2023, 01:15 AM   #9
AZ Entertainment

Quote:
All I am suggesting is that purchasing something doesn't equal using it, and that genuine active users is a more interesting figure. Of course even that's hard to tell from forum members as some folks ask a couple of questions and shortly after give up, or maybe they choose a different DAW because they're mate uses it or whatever. Billions of £$ are spent on gym memberships ever year yet a substantial percentage don't even go!

People sign up to things they like the idea of. Maybe it's a question of how people think of themselves (much as Christians that never actually go to church, or practice anything to do with Christianity) - what type of people they are?
Reaper being dirt cheap inevitably a huge percentage will be people that barely ever used it.
Another way to look at it is asking if we don't know if these people are really using Reaper what use is it knowing the sales figures?
Certainly it's a very large number indeed and Cockos's tiny team does a vast amount of work for an enormous active user base. Bang for buck off the scale.
As someone who lives in a country outside the US, $60 is more like 3500. So I'm NOT just gonna forget about it. I rarely purchase software, and I only purchase software I need. And yes, I get your point, some users just bought REAPER and forgot about it. And I should've mentioned this earlier but, I'm talking about for all REAPER installs. Because FL Studio is downloaded by far more people than musicians, hell my friend downloaded it just to fool around, I wanna get the same info for REAPER. Yeah I'm looking for accurate up to date stats, but rough stats, I think I may have caused a misunderstanding, I updated the post. And thanks.
Old 10-14-2023, 01:35 AM   #10
Softsynth

I guess if the Philippines is so enormously expensive than weighing up your $60 against the free DAWs becomes a serious consideration.

What will it tell you once you have that figure?
Whether it's say 500:1 or 20:1 Pro Tools, Cubase, Ableton whatever?
It's way passed the point of worrying if Reaper is a goer, or being well supported. It's been going for a very long time with ongoing seriously committed development.

Anyway good luck getting your answers.
Old 10-14-2023, 06:34 AM   #11
Fergler

Quote:

I know about 6 people in my life that use Reaper (2 of them exclusively). None of them have a forum account. Very few people have forum accounts to begin with, to be honest. Reddit and twitter has sort of taken that over, and discord threads feel more lively
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 06:39 AM   #12
Softsynth

Interesting. Life's already too short I guess!
Old 10-14-2023, 11:01 AM   #13
Pink Wool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
I know about 6 people in my life that use Reaper (2 of them exclusively). None of them have a forum account. Very few people have forum accounts to begin with, to be honest. Reddit and twitter has sort of taken that over, and discord threads feel more lively
I've heard this too; forums are dying out since people want more direct interaction. I guess it also takes a certain type of personality (even if there's obviously quite a lot of variety) to want to engage with people on a day-to-day basis at a forum.
Old 10-14-2023, 11:23 AM   #14
Softsynth

Yes I have heard that forums in general are in decline as younger users of the internet choose other means.
I guess forums require more patience.

I don't believe they'll ever go away completely. It's just a shrinking user base, but for technical things like this I think a lot of people will always want forums.

Perhaps the faux woke (offense found in just about everything) crowd take over just as AI chatbots are getting better and better, pushing people to look for private AI answers/solutions without public ridicule. Could people even be losing the meagre social skills to even engage in this remote forum banter?
Old 10-14-2023, 12:39 PM   #15
sekim

Quote:
I'm old skool, so how does Discord and Reddit actually differ from a stodgy old forum other than cosmetics? What little I've been on them its just people making posts like always, just a different platform?
sekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 08:09 PM   #16
AZ Entertainment

Quote:
I guess if the Philippines is so enormously expensive than weighing up your $60 against the free DAWs becomes a serious consideration.

What will it tell you once you have that figure?
Whether it's say 500:1 or 20:1 Pro Tools, Cubase, Ableton whatever?
It's way passed the point of worrying if Reaper is a goer, or being well supported. It's been going for a very long time with ongoing seriously committed development.

Anyway good luck getting your answers.
I actually used FL Studio, until I looked at their prices and if I buy their producer edition which is $199, It turns to 11,000. That's equivalent to buying a new phone here in the Philippines. And FL Studio IS NOT a phone. I could use that money to pay the bills, upgrade my house, and much more instead. And that's how I found REAPER. And what will it tell me once I have the answer? I just wanna know how much money they make from REAPER and how popular it is. Mostly for fun though.

Last edited by AZ Entertainment; 10-14-2023 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-14-2023, 09:50 PM   #17
Pink Wool

Quote:
I just wanna know how much money they make from REAPER and how popular it is. Mostly for fun though.
I really doubt anyone can give you anything definite, except Justin - and one would assume he's not going to tell. Parts of running a business etc.
Old 10-14-2023, 10:18 PM   #18
lizzard

One of the strengths of reaper is this forum which goes way back.

The resources available here are second to none and I can only hope it stays like this

With the facecook clikctok and other Ephemeral groups , so much is lost to history and all users inputs are lost over time . It allows a race to the bottom with many companies going for the adobe model which is infuriating to most musicians.

I buy reaper because of the respect I have for the functionality and the story itself .

I am involved in aviation and I once wrote a long and detailed post that covered landing technique that was not published before and really useful for less experienced pilots to avoid dangerous scenarios.

the forum owner suddenly decided that it was in his financial interest to shut it down and use facecook which appealed to the newer pilots so they could share videos of "look at me " ... some good videos for sure but no information archive anymore.

The younger generations don't seem to value this as much as older people which is a shame as we are at risk of becoming collectively dumber. Its all about companies profits, and wanting to know how much money is circulating seems inappropriate to put it kindly.
I would like to think that our developers are enjoying their Hollywood mansions with a few support staff bringing them drinks while they work outside by their infinity pools , at a loss to work out whether to use the lambo or the restored 63 Caddy

Just My opinion of course

Last edited by lizzard; 10-14-2023 at 10:28 PM.
lizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 10:53 PM   #19
AZ Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Wool View Post
I really doubt anyone can give you anything definite, except Justin - and one would assume he's not going to tell. Parts of running a business etc.
It's really just for fun, I don't need a definite answer. It probably is in the millions. I thought it would be nice to talk about it.

Last edited by AZ Entertainment; 10-14-2023 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-15-2023, 12:21 AM   #20
Pink Wool

Quote:
It's really just for fun, I don't need a definite answer. It probably is in the millions. I thought it would be nice to talk about it.
Given that Reaper is so cheap (the cheapest real daw?), the "trial" is just a nagscreen and the download size and program size are so small, I would assume it's quite a lot of people. Millions, like you said.

Plus places like BBC and educational enteties etc. that use Reaper.
Old 10-15-2023, 10:34 PM   #21
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
I know about 6 people in my life that use Reaper (2 of them exclusively). None of them have a forum account.
Confirmed here, but more like a dozen in my case.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 11:54 PM   #22
/AND/

Quote:
I actually used FL Studio, until I looked at their prices and if I buy their producer edition which is $199, It turns to 11,000. That's equivalent to buying a new phone here in the Philippines. And FL Studio IS NOT a phone. I could use that money to pay the bills, upgrade my house, and much more instead. And that's how I found REAPER. And what will it tell me once I have the answer? I just wanna know how much money they make from REAPER and how popular it is. Mostly for fun though.
You could use phone money to upgrade your house?!

I paid around EUR 700 (USD 800) on Image-Line and FL Studio, only to throw it away because of their arrogance. And switched to Reaper
/AND/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 11:56 PM   #23
/AND/

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekim View Post
I'm old skool, so how does Discord and Reddit actually differ from a stodgy old forum other than cosmetics? What little I've been on them its just people making posts like always, just a different platform?
You have to actually think through your question or answer, be brave to face potential ridicule and critique, and engage in a civil conversation on a forum, which youngsters don't particularly like.
/AND/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 11:59 PM   #24
Softsynth

Quote:
I actually used FL Studio, until I looked at their prices and if I buy their producer edition which is $199, It turns to 11,000. That's equivalent to buying a new phone here in the Philippines. And FL Studio IS NOT a phone. I could use that money to pay the bills.
Oh okay so similar to UK ? ! - IOW (compared to fruity loops) Reaper's $60 is still not a lot for how long a license lasts. My last android smartphone is comfortably less than $200, and yes I begrudgingly spent about £100.

I thought you were making out your exchange rate was ultra bad - I should have looked for myself.

A smartphone as a yardstick is almost useless - a bit like saying "a car" as a status symbol. Pricing in UK could be anything new from £60 to £2k, both of which will work quite well for many people's needs, but the latter might get you hospitalised flashed about publicly in the wrong area!

Pay is much lower in the Philippines and yet the cost of living is 69% lower than the UK. Hence hard to gauge.
Old 10-16-2023, 04:39 AM   #25
mindlessgenius

Quote:
"All metrics of scientific evaluation are bound to be abused. Goodhart's law [...] states that when a feature of the economy is picked as an indicator of the economy, then it inexorably ceases to function as that indicator because people start to game it."
— Mario Biagioli
In this sense: The fact that we don't know exact numbers can be used as a metric for how few data Cockos collects from its users and reassures that sometimes no news is good news. If they use their time to write good code instead of counting copies of theoretically infinitely reproducible digital data, this is a knowledge gap I can comfortably live with.
mindlessgenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 03:54 PM   #26
Fergler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekim View Post
Well for one, they are cross platform by design. Forums are not a great mobile experience , in particular this one (old phpbb from before widespread phone use). And it's much easier to subscribe to a thread or chat room. People can ping you. Notifications can appear on the device instead of relying on email.
Media support is way more modern, and overhead lower. It's easier for moderators to manage roles and privileg, and to validate identity if needed
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 12:25 AM   #27
McSound

I worked a lot in Samplitude and Nuendo and then switched to Reaper. What I would say is that Reaper was most beneficial purchase of my life! It saved me ton of work time (though stole it for scripting and it's absolutely justified) Then I bought a second copy of Reaper for my son working with me in post production.
McSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 04:05 AM   #28
GaryG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Wool View Post
Given that Reaper is so cheap (the cheapest real daw?), the "trial" is just a nagscreen and the download size and program size are so small, I would assume it's quite a lot of people. Millions, like you said.

Plus places like BBC and educational enteties etc. that use Reaper.
I keep reading that Reaper is becoming a standard in the gaming industry for sound effect editing and (having also read...) that the gaming industry is bigger than music, movies and books *combined*... probably a few licenses there then.
GaryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 04:18 AM   #29
mindlessgenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryG View Post
..the gaming industry is bigger than music, movies and books *combined*...
Measured in sales volume and profit, yes. But the number of people working in music should be a multitude of those working in games. Musicians are just paid a lot worse
Old 10-18-2023, 04:19 AM   #30
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryG View Post
I keep reading that Reaper is becoming a standard in the gaming industry for sound effect editing and (having also read...) that the gaming industry is bigger than music, movies and books *combined*... probably a few licenses there then.
Oh dear, that's a worry. Here in Australia at least (where literally half the TV ads are for gaming) we have a seriousproblem with gaming addiction.
Old 10-18-2023, 04:31 AM   #31
mindlessgenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
Oh dear, that's a worry. Here in Australia at least (where literally half the TV ads are for gaming) we have a seriousproblem with gaming addiction.
Probably not much of a comfort, but this is a global pandemic and Aussies are not alone there.
Old 10-18-2023, 04:32 AM   #32
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindlessgenius View Post
Probably not much of a comfort, but this is a global pandemic and Aussies are not alone there.
Yu're right! It's not much of a comfort 😢