Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 08-13-2016, 08:00 AM   #1
Commala
Human being with feelings

Default Windows 10 OS theme for dark Reaper themes

Posted in another thread sharing a Windows 10 OS theme that makes all windows and menus in Reaper fit a dark Reaper theme (specifically for my Commala theme mod). It might also work for you, try it out:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commala View Post
This isn't entirely OT, but I was looking forward to the Windows 10 dark theme in the new anniversary update and was disappointed to see that it wasn't universally applied (particularly that it had no effect in Reaper).

Since all my old W7 OS themes no longer worked, I began the search for a new OS theme. I wasn't fond of all the methods requiring patching and associated hassle, but I found one theme that was a simple drop-in, as it was just an edited high-contrast theme. So, as is my wont, I made my own and I am quite pleased with the results, overall. If any of you are on Windows 10 and don't mind copying a file to a theme folder, you might also appreciate it.

It's designed specifically to complement my Commala theme mod, but you could open it as a text file and edit it to fit your needs. The only caveat to using a high-contrast theme to accomplish this, is that some OS elements are not as attractive: the taskbar, some app windows, Google Chrome's menus. But Reaper looks good!

Before:

After:

Here's a download link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zvydqdephg...0HC.theme?dl=0

Copy this file to C:\Users\[YOUR USER ID]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes, and double-click it.

OT: personally, once measures such as these are taken (to accomodate a dark theme), I'm satisfied with Reaper's UI.
Commala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:50 AM   #2
Endisol

Many thanks Commala - will give this a try today!
Endisol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:32 AM   #3
sostenuto

@ Commala .... ++1 !! Seems really cool thus far
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:11 PM   #4
Pinknoise

Nice on my Paulie too but the forum becomes unreadable...
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:48 PM   #5
Jae.Thomas

looks great in reaper, makes everything else look like crap
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:34 AM   #6
trevlyns

To be honest I'm a little unsure...

I'm a great fan of your dark theme and use it permanently. No doubt it looks fantastic in Reaper, but it seems to be a bit over-bearing in other applications like internet browser, files etc.

Maybe this will take a bit of getting used to - gonna give it a try
Old 08-15-2016, 06:35 AM   #7
Commala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
looks great in reaper, makes everything else look like crap
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevlyns View Post
To be honest I'm a little unsure...

I'm a great fan of your dark theme and use it permanently. No doubt it looks fantastic in Reaper, but it seems to be a bit over-bearing in other applications like internet browser, files etc.

Maybe this will take a bit of getting used to - gonna give it a try

Depends if you like light text on dark background generally, I guess?

The file explorer, notepad, image editor, all are improved in my opinion, because they are no longer white. Word processor might not be that great, I remember Open Office would colour the page grey but leave the text black which wasn't ideal, and I'd usually switch to a regular theme if I have writing to do. I did notice though that Adobe Reader takes the theming much better in W10 than it used to. I dare say it looks quite good. Maybe some screenshots of the apps that are unacceptable?

You're both right that the use of a high-contrast theme can bring some undesirable elements - for some reason Microsoft thinks little white boxes are necessary in the taskbar and the start menu. But besides that foible, I think I simply have to disagree - I'm quite particular about UI, and I don't have any problems using it thus far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinknoise View Post
Nice on my Paulie too but the forum becomes unreadable...
Themes shouldn't affect the display of webpages much these days. I remember it was cool back in '96 when the OS theme could change the web's appearance across the board. I should mention I'm using Chrome - can't speak to other browsers on this point, but I'm not seeing what you describe here

At any rate, I know it's not ideal, but I was happy to be able to theme anything at all on W10. Microsoft has taken away a lot of functionality in the old theme dialogues
Commala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:36 AM   #8
krahosk

Can the Devs simply make a small tweak to allow Windows 10 Aniversary Update Dark theme in REAPER's GUI?
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:04 AM   #9
Jae.Thomas

the little white outlines of the HC mode kill it for me
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 06:09 AM   #10
Pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commala View Post
Posted in another thread sharing a Windows 10 OS theme that makes all windows and menus in Reaper fit a dark Reaper theme (specifically for my Commala theme mod). It might also work for you, try it out:
Commala, you are simply GREAT! I use your theme when I work with Reaper and switch back to my standard theme afterwards.

THANKS!