Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 06-29-2016, 02:21 PM   #1
juliansader
Human being with feelings

Default ReaScript: MIDI_GetNote returns endppqpos different from visual appearance in editor

Standard MIDI specifications do not provide for overlapping notes. However, overlapping notes can exist in REAPER's MIDI editor (at least temporarily, but they are quite unstable), and the MIDI editor can remember the correct starting PPQ position and endpoint for each overlapping note.

The problem is that the ReaScript MIDI_GetNote function does not always return the same endpoint PPQ value as displayed in the MIDI editor. Instead, MIDI_GetNote sometimes returns the PPQ position of the first note-off after the note's note-on. According to MIDI specifications, the first note-off is indeed the correct endpoint for the note - but it does not correspond to what the user sees in the MIDI editor.

I suggest that MIDI_GetNote should always return the endpoint PPQ that the MIDI editor itself uses. That way, what the script sees and what the script does will correspond to what the user sees and would like to do.

(REAPER v5.21.)
juliansader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:23 PM   #2
Lokasenna

If it helps, FNG_GetMidiNoteIntProperty(midiNote) can return the length directly - note that midiNote in this case is a special data type for the FNG functions, so you have to use the other FNG stuff with it:

Code:
local take = reaper.MIDIEditor_GetTake(editor_hwnd)
local FNG_take = reaper.FNG_AllocMidiTake(take)
local FNG_note = reaper.FNG_GetMidiNote(take, index)
local length = reaper.FNG_GetMidiNoteIntProperty(FNG_note, "LENGTH")
I have no idea what format the length is returned in, but I would assume PPQ. If not, you've got all the conversion functions for PPQ<->QN<->Time on hand.
Lokasenna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:07 PM   #3
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
If it helps, FNG_GetMidiNoteIntProperty(midiNote) can return the length directly - note that midiNote in this case is a special data type for the FNG functions, so you have to use the other FNG stuff with it:

Code:
local take = reaper.MIDIEditor_GetTake(editor_hwnd)
local FNG_take = reaper.FNG_AllocMidiTake(take)
local FNG_note = reaper.FNG_GetMidiNote(take, index)
local length = reaper.FNG_GetMidiNoteIntProperty(FNG_note, "LENGTH")
I have no idea what format the length is returned in, but I would assume PPQ. If not, you've got all the conversion functions for PPQ<->QN<->Time on hand.
Thanks! I will test FNG_GetMidiNoteIntProperty to check if it always returns the displayed length.

(One must be careful about not running FNG_FreeMidiTake at the end, since that function automatically 'corrects' all overlapping notes in the take, which may not be what the user wants.)
juliansader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 05:54 PM   #4
_Stevie_

Julian, how did you like the FNG MIDI commands? Are they more reliable than the default ones? I have the same problem concerning the note length.
It only works correctly if I turn off "MIDI_Sort":
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=1927325
_Stevie_ is offline   Reply With Quote