Old 03-01-2022, 01:27 AM   #1
uli12v
Human being with feelings

Default devastating MIDI-Latency while recording

please help, I am spoiled
I try to get rid of capital problems with MIDI-Latency. It is a monster -latency of almost second. I have to say that I work with Reaper since some months and now I startetd with MIDI brand new. I never used MIDI before thus I think : it is a beginner - problem:
I had never performance problems with audio and multitrack. even with a lot of effects, 16 Tracks
now with my new bought system of i7-1165G7 Prozessor 11. Generation 16 GB, 2 x 8GB, DDR4, 2.666 MHz.
And I tried a lot of audiointerfaces, and even bought a new one (presonus USB96) , only to record MIDI AND i bought a new simple Midi divice, but without benifit.
BUT:
without effects, one track, buffers reduced to minimom block sice 2 x 512 (lower it dues not work at all)
... I still have latency of about more than 100ms latency, which means : I am not able to record anything (as a drummer: play to klick)! .
Is there any help how to get rid of this devasting recording problem? I think about to cancel MIDI, selling my MIDI devices
uli12v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 05:47 AM   #2
beingmf

Midi has basically no latency to speak of. What you're referring to is the time lag between a Midi event (most likely hitting a key or drum pad in a live monitoring scenario) and the corresponding audio event.
You mention block size "2x512", which isn't a setting you'd find in an ASIO control panel. I assume you've installed the drivers for your interface, either from a CDR or from the Presonus website.

tl;dr: Set your driver to ASIO and you're good.
Old 03-01-2022, 06:47 PM   #3
uli12v

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
You mention block size "2x512", which isn't a setting you'd find in an ASIO control panel. I assume you've installed the drivers for your interface, either from a CDR or from the Presonus website.

tl;dr: Set your driver to ASIO and you're good.
Yes it worked, driver was not installed , was a bit tricky to find the right one,
thanx a lot ! Now I can chose 16 blocks
Old 03-02-2022, 03:09 AM   #4
beingmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by uli12v View Post
Yes it worked, driver was not installed , was a bit tricky to find the right one,
thanx a lot ! Now I can chose 16 blocks
Haha, no, you don't choose "16 blocks" - as this is still not the ASIO driver you're using. This is what you want:

Then for everything latency related, go to the ASIO control panel/preferences/... which shows up in this window and tweak your settings there.
Old 03-02-2022, 11:44 AM   #5
uli12v

Default Now I use the Asio driver ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
Haha, no, you don't choose "16 blocks" - as this is still not the ASIO driver you're using. This is what you want:
Then for everything latency related, go to the ASIO control panel/preferences/... which shows up in this window and tweak your settings there.
exactly this what you are shown, was in my big (old) soundcard (fostex 18 Channel), its settings apear in the driver-app of device.
But now this bottum , there is no reaction, but I can set the size directly in the driver-app, if I put it on 2048 there is latenca, and now I can rduce it to 16, than no latancy
so all right
Old 03-02-2022, 02:08 PM   #6
beingmf

Ah - now I got it: You refer to a block size of 16 samples, not 16 blocks of size X.
That's pretty heavy on the CPU. I can easily live with 64 or even 128 samples, but this of course depends on the hardware/driver and your individual tolerance level.

Last edited by beingmf; 03-03-2022 at 06:13 AM.
beingmf is offline   Reply With Quote