Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 08-03-2020, 10:56 AM   #1
Lynx_TWO
Human being with feelings

Default Step by step troubleshooting guide?

Has anyone put together a handy troubleshooting guide for Reaper that goes step by step and lists what to check, specifically when it comes to how REAPER interacts with the CPU, RAM, GPU, and Hard drive?

My problem is, I reset all of Reaper’s settings and now I’m getting some really odd behaviors. Last night I went to render out some tracks. With the project I’m using, usually it renders at 0.2-0.6x real-time. Last night the tracks screamed out of Reaper at 10-12x real time. Assuming something was off, I went back to make sure all the effects were on. I did nothing but click the FX button on each track just to make sure they were checked. Everything was fine so I re-rendered and hit the usual .5x rendering speed. I swear I changed nothing else.

Today I rendered out some tracks, and the speed was 1.8x. BUT, halfway through I noticed some of the graphical interfaces weren’t updating (specifically, only the first two track meters were updating, the rest were dark as if disabled, and also OakSound Soothe 2, an amazing plugin, wasn’t updating) so I stPopes the render, again checked to make sure hadn’t done something dumb and turned a plug-in off, then hit render again. Back to 0.5x render speed.

I haven’t changed anything else, literally just used Reapers reset function from the Windows menu, then after completing, loaded my last project.

Any help or pointing in a direction for research would be really appreciated. Thanks guys and Thanks for making such an amazing DAW! 64-bit floating point and seamless integration with 32 bit plugins had me sold from Day 1 of use
Lynx_TWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:41 AM   #2
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx_TWO View Post
I haven’t changed anything else, literally just used Reapers reset function from the Windows menu
Well, a reset to factory defaults is nothing or it's massive, depending on how much your config differs from the factory config.

There seems to be a question as to whether your plugins are working as expected, and one thing you haven't told us is what these slow renders actually sound like. Are the plugins sounding as expected? Is the sample rate as expected?

I know I'm not answering your actual question.... CPU, RAM, GPU, and Hard drive covers a lot of ground beyond my knowledge, and I don't know of such a guide.

Surely the factory reset must be responsible for the odd behaviour, though, if it's all you've done. A factory reset doesn't change much when I do one (it ditches the VST paths, obviously, but I rarely have to worry much about stuff like buffer settings).... so, when was "Day 1 of use," and what have you changed in the days/weeks/months/years between day 1 and the reset?

The answer's there somewhere.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:51 AM   #3
Lynx_TWO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fex View Post
Well, a reset to factory defaults is nothing or it's massive, depending on how much your config differs from the factory config.

The answer's there somewhere.
Agreed. I'll have to keep digging - if I find anything I'll report back. I wonder if there is a program that can monitor each plugin individually and print a report? That might help narrow it down.

Thanks!
Lynx_TWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:26 AM   #4
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx_TWO View Post
Agreed. I'll have to keep digging - if I find anything I'll report back. I wonder if there is a program that can monitor each plugin individually and print a report? That might help narrow it down.

Thanks!
I don't know about printing a report, but in Reaper....

View > Performance Meter

.... will give you a good idea what your plugins are doing with your CPU.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote