Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 07-27-2020, 07:36 AM   #1
Coachz
Human being with feelings

Default Edit Cursor Width too thick at selected track.

Somehow I have changed my edit cursor so it is thicker on the selected track. How can I change it back please ? I don't see an image file I have changed and it doesn't matter what color I make it using the theme development tweaker. Thanks for any ideas.

Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:50 AM   #2
ferropop

It's new in the latest pre, and a bunch of people have given their 2 cents on what they hope it to look like.
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:58 AM   #3
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
It's new in the latest pre, and a bunch of people have given their 2 cents on what they hope it to look like.
Oh, where to I give my 2 cents to turn it off.

Old 07-27-2020, 11:44 AM   #4
babag

+1 to option to turn it off. better yet, make turning it on the option.
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 11:54 AM   #5
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by babag View Post
+1 to option to turn it off. better yet, make turning it on the option.
Exactly
Old 07-27-2020, 12:24 PM   #6
ferropop

From a previous post:

Quote:
This isn't me being cheeky to make a point...but here's one of my latest projects:

If I were to hit Ctrl-V at any point during that gif, where would it paste?

ps this isn't even at 4K, the usual resolution. At 4k it requires following the edit ruler vertically, and intersecting with my finger horizontally from the tinted TCP across the screen.

...or option b, the cursor blinks a bit at the exact edit location.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:27 PM   #7
ferropop

Totally understand wanting it to be an option, but legit curious -- do you guys not ever run into the issue of having no clue where your edit cursor is? Like I'm fighting with this constantly...there's literally no visual feedback of where a Paste will happen other than literally drawing a vertical/horizontal intersection with your fingers.

The (tiny) blink just brings your eyes to the most logical currently-interesting part of your project, at any given time. Imagine removing the cursor from MS Word!
Old 07-27-2020, 12:33 PM   #8
karbomusic

Quote:
Totally understand wanting it to be an option, but legit curious -- do you guys not ever run into the issue of having no clue where your edit cursor is?
No, I've never had that problem for two reasons.

1. I configure the edit cursor color so it can easily be seen against everything else at any time - right now it's bright purple.

2. If that doesn't work, modify the edit cursor alternate color in theme settings (example below), which makes the entire thing flash back and forth.

When I saw your theme this morning in this thread, that was the first thing that hit me.. "no wonder he/she can't see it".

Last edited by karbomusic; 07-27-2020 at 12:41 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 01:08 PM   #9
xpander

Quote:
Totally understand wanting it to be an option, but legit curious -- do you guys not ever run into the issue of having no clue where your edit cursor is?
Like karbo, never, and for the same reasons as well. In previous dev topics there have been discussions about making also the (last?) selected track more obvious. For that the thicker line kinda works, but like also suggested, cursor could e.g have a different color for that. Make that two colors like for the edit cursor and all the color & blinking options would be there. A bit different thing how easily that could actually be made...
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 01:09 PM   #10
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post

1. I configure the edit cursor color so it can easily be seen against everything else at any time - right now it's bright purple.

2. If that doesn't work, modify the edit cursor alternate color in theme settings (example below), which makes the entire thing flash back and forth.

When I saw your theme this morning in this thread, that was the first thing that hit me.. "no wonder he/she can't see it".

I would not want a flashing edit cursor but it's easy enough to pick a color that is bright and easy to see yet not too bright to be annoying. If you're gonna make dark backgrounds and dark cursors though you get what you created. Now if I can just get rid of the new WART that is in the cursor. It makes me think I have a sliver of a media item orphaned there.

Old 07-27-2020, 01:11 PM   #11
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
I would not want a flashing edit cursor but it's
I don't like it flashing usually either, gets on me nerves but I was answering ferropops curious question so that he can choose what works for him. I just use a theme where in my case the bright purple works best, or sometimes I use orange, depends on my mood.

What one can also do is just barley offset the colors so the flashing is easy to find but not totally annoying and more subtle. I used an extreme difference to show the difference easily for thread purposes.

Personally I think the track itself in the arrange area being highlighted when selected and a contrasty cursor is way better than that little vertical blob LOL, YMMV.

Last edited by karbomusic; 07-27-2020 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-27-2020, 01:12 PM   #12
mccrabney

wow, i thought i'd like a flashing edit cursor a LOT more than i ended up liking it.
it's very different than your standard text box blinking cursor, since it takes up so much vertical room. got me a little queasy even
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 01:15 PM   #13
mccrabney

i think it's funny that we were FRing a flashing cursor and nobody said that it was already there

anyway, i just set my edit cursor/alternate cursor to be 2 slightly different shades of the same color, which gives it just enough movement to jump out, but not enough to make me dizzy.

thanks, karbo
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 01:18 PM   #14
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
i think it's funny that we were FRing a flashing cursor and nobody said that it was already there

anyway, i just set my edit cursor/alternate cursor to be 2 slightly different shades of the same color, which gives it just enough movement to jump out, but not enough to make me dizzy.

thanks, karbo
Yea, I agree super contrast via flashing makes me dizzy.
Old 07-27-2020, 01:48 PM   #15
xpander

Quote:
Personally I think the track itself in the arrange area being highlighted when selected and a contrasty cursor is way better than that little vertical blob LOL, YMMV.
Same thought about that as well. Some have said they can't see the selected track, but they can surely explain better what they meant. The possible too big distance for the eyes to travel along the display to see the selected panels was one. Suggestion for the whole track background(s) colored when selected was also made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
Yea, I even put a title on the post I wrote about it.

Last edited by xpander; 07-27-2020 at 02:01 PM. Reason: better language, tonight...
Old 07-27-2020, 01:52 PM   #16
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
Suggestion for the whole track background(s) colored when selected was also suggested as a solution.
Exactly what I was thinking too, then between the fancy cursor options we already have, and the tinted background when selected, it's the same simple cross-reference.

Does "Selected track control panel background" not already do this?
Old 07-27-2020, 02:00 PM   #17
xpander

Quote:
Does "Selected track control panel background" not already do this?
Yep, selected TCP can be made to show the selection status visually as quietly or loudly as users would like them. May require some editing though, depending on the theme.
Old 07-27-2020, 02:03 PM   #18
Coachz

If they can't tell what track is selected they might like to apply these files which helped the tint here dramatically.

click the 2nd underlined "here" to get the zip file.
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...90&postcount=2

Last edited by Coachz; 07-28-2020 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:15 PM   #19
ferropop

Quote:

Karbo, in your above image if you were to hit Ctrl-V, on which track would the data paste to?
Old 07-27-2020, 03:18 PM   #20
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
Yep, selected TCP can be made to show the selection status visually as quietly or loudly as users would like them. May require some editing though, depending on the theme.
It doesn't tint the actual media area, just the TCP.

You literally have to trace your finger horizontally from the tinted TCP to where it intersects the ruler.

Maybe i'm not explaining this clearly enough and it's my fault haha, but I'm struggling with how this isn't an issue for others.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:19 PM   #21
karbomusic

Quote:
Karbo, in your above image if you were to hit Ctrl-V, on which track would the data paste to?
Track 3 or rather the highlighted track because unless you do a screenshot and cropped them out like I did, the selected track is always visible but...

...your question above is not the question I answered before you asked about telling where the cursor was not what track it was. Yes I understand the previous ask but that was not part of your "I'm just curious" verbiage.

As far as background vs item tinting I agree but your screenshot definitely shows lots of space in order to see the background (though I must say, I'm sure that theme has uses but to my eye it isn't helping this issue at all and possibly making things worse YMMV). It might be possible to do some theme tweaking to make the selected background visible through the item though FWIW.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:20 PM   #22
ferropop

For the record I'm 100% good with the entire selected track being tinted, and the intersection of that and the ruler being the paste point. That's a FR of mine dating years back.

The blinking cursor at the intersection point also achieves this. I'm good with literally anything that gives us any point of reference that doesn't involve putting my fingers on the screen, physically.

Last edited by ferropop; 07-27-2020 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:26 PM   #23
ferropop

Quote:
Track 3 or rather the highlighted track because unless you do a screenshot and cropped them out like I did, the selected track is always visible but...

...your question above is not the question I answered before you asked about telling where the cursor was not what track it was. Yes I understand the previous ask but that was not part of your "I'm just curious" verbiage.

As far as background vs item tinting I agree but your screenshot definitely shows lots of space in order to see the background (though I must say, I'm sure that theme has uses but to my eye it isn't helping this issue at all and possibly making things worse YMMV). It might be possible to do some theme tweaking to make the selected background visible through the item though FWIW.
Hey Karbo I assure you it's not the theme.

Maybe it's because I'm on a 65 inch 4K TV, but the tiny tinted TCP being literally 40 inches to the left of the actual ruler does not constitute "obvious intersection" haha.

My point is more general really -- shouldn't the paste point be of paramount importance? I can't think of a single more important point to, without any shadow of a doubt, highlight with pin-point accuracy, than the intersection of the current track and the edit ruler...and currently this is at best questionable.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:26 PM   #24
karbomusic

Like I said, there "might" be some theme tweaks that may expose the differing/selected background when there are no spaces between items but maybe not. I can't test that for you any quicker than you can because I don't want to dork with my precisely-tweaked-for-my-needs-theme and I don't so much feel like downloading and installing a portable to do the research/testing right now.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:29 PM   #25
ferropop

Quote:
Like I said, there "might" be some theme tweaks that may expose the differing/selected background when there are no spaces between items but maybe not. I can't test that for you any quicker than you can because I don't want to dork with my precisely-tweaked-for-my-needs-theme and I don't so much feel like downloading and installing a portable to do the research/testing right now.
Absolutely. For sure there isn't a way with a theme though, the element doesn't exist. I really wish it would - I can't imagine the opposition to the currently selected track being tinted, even like 1%. It's such a useful piece of information.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:30 PM   #26
karbomusic

Quote:
Hey Karbo I assure you it's not the theme.
My point is, that theme was just hard to look at in general, and if there was a cursor anywhere on the screen, it was about 100 times harder to see than the one in my theme which I tweaked for visibility.

I'm not knocking your theme at all, it just seemed counter-intuitive to read your post then see that theme but again, YMMV, you use it, plenty about it I don't know.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:30 PM   #27
karbomusic

Quote:
Absolutely. For sure there isn't a way with a theme though, the element doesn't exist. I really wish it would - I can't imagine the opposition to the currently selected track being tinted, even like 1%. It's such a useful piece of information.
There are settings for blend modes et al aka how the item color interacts with the background below it - which would possibly make a small/enough difference in the items over the background, which is why I said might. And I don't remember if the blend modes work against the BG, someone needs to confirm/deny or look. The blend modes may only affect grid/cursor, again, needs to check.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:34 PM   #28
ferropop

Quote:
There are settings for blend modes et al which would possibly make a small/enough difference in the items over the background, which is why I said might.
Interesting, though that would only involve the items themselves and not the actual background. Either way I appreciate the things you're saying, and ultimately hope they decide to implement either a subtle blink, or something close to my mockup here:

No question at all of where in space-time we sit
Old 07-27-2020, 03:38 PM   #29
ferropop

Quote:
Interesting, though that would only involve the items themselves and not the actual background. Either way I appreciate the things you're saying, and ultimately hope they decide to implement either a subtle blink, or something close to my mockup here:

No question at all of where in space-time we sit
Would have extremely beneficial applications with Area Selection as well, as (again, this affects many things...) currently if you're duplicating/moving the Area Selection box, you are literally guessing-and-hoping that you're dropping it at the desired location.

This is not helped by the fact that if you accidentally drop it in the wrong place (I have a 65% success rate), the Undo does not restore the Area Selection location, and you have to re-draw the box.

If the Vertical Span of the Area Selection tinted the underlying tracks, there would be no question whether you're dropping it at the right place. I'll mock this up later.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:39 PM   #30
karbomusic

Quote:
Interesting, though that would only involve the items themselves and not the actual background.
But we're at this point in the discussion because you inferred you can't see the background that changes due to track selection when there are no spaces between items? If the blend modes can affect items against the BG (since the BG changes when selected), then those items on those tracks will look different than items on other tracks. I'm not sure it will work just explaining how you and I ended up in blend modes.

No, I'm not dissing anyone's FR, it's just my nature to exhaust all possibilities in order to get work done. That's why I have so few FRs, I almost always find a way in some form at least but not 100% of time.

Last edited by karbomusic; 07-27-2020 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:45 PM   #31
karbomusic

Oh yea, there's also a setting or script or something that will make the selected track larger than the rest, then when you select another it makes that one the large one - working from memory but it exists.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:04 PM   #32
Win Conway

Quote:
Oh yea, there's also a setting or script or something that will make the selected track larger than the rest, then when you select another it makes that one the large one - working from memory but it exists.
Any link for that script, it isn't a setting and is_selected in themes only realtime updates on MCP not TCP.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:17 PM   #33
karbomusic

I think it's this one from reapack:

Script: mpl_Enlarge selected track.lua Or the background version.

Just start with all tracks the same size and smaller but manually enlarge a selected track. Now run the script. IIRC, from that point on, the track you select goes to the size you set just before running the script - the script remains running in the background:

Old 07-27-2020, 04:23 PM   #34
Coachz

Quote:
I think it's this one from reapack:

Script: mpl_Enlarge selected track.lua Or the background version.

Just start with all tracks the same size and smaller but manually enlarge a selected track. Now run the script. IIRC, from that point on, the track you select goes to the size you set just before running the script - the script remains running in the background:

Nice looking script
Old 07-27-2020, 05:06 PM   #35
puddi

Imagine using a word editor where the edit cursor stretched across all lines and the only way to tell what line you were on was by looking at some icon on the left-hand pane. Pretty awful, right?

It really needs to be obvious which track is selected without having to divert your eyes from the area you're working. The thicker edit cursor just looks funky.
Old 07-27-2020, 05:22 PM   #36
Klangfarben

Quote:

I'm still confused as to why we are getting away from the below. When puddi posted this pretty much everyone said yup, this is exactly what we want. Certainly hasn't changed for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddi View Post
Hnnng, track tinting. Look how easy it is to see what track is selected:

Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:29 PM   #37
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
I'm still confused as to why we are getting away from the below. When puddi posted this pretty much everyone said yup, this is exactly what we want. Certainly hasn't changed for me.
Klang, 100% in agreement but I do see the benefit in the ruler extending vertically through all tracks. My mental compromise was that the ruler stay as-is, but the tiny section comprising of the Active Track be 'blinky'.

And/Or, as I FR'd years ago, tinting the track as in the puddi gif.
Old 07-27-2020, 05:44 PM   #38
Coachz

Please make all of this stuff optional
Old 07-27-2020, 05:48 PM   #39
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddi View Post
Imagine using a word editor where the edit cursor stretched across all lines and the only way to tell what line you were on was by looking at some icon on the left-hand pane. Pretty awful, right?

It really needs to be obvious which track is selected without having to divert your eyes from the area you're working. The thicker edit cursor just looks funky.
Complete agreement, from the moment I first used Reaper I was surprised that it lacked this.
Old 07-27-2020, 05:49 PM   #40
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Please make all of this stuff optional
Coachz what is it about knowing which track you're on that you object to?