Old 07-08-2020, 12:56 PM   #1
vitalker
Human being with feelings

Default v6.12+dev0708 - July 8 2020

v6.12+dev0708 - July 8 2020
  • + Bounce/Glue: filter illegal filename characters out of wildcard replacements
  • + Media explorer: add various display zoom actions
  • + Mixer: fix resizing between send and fxparm lists when inserts not visible
  • + Recording: support automatically creating folders (including based on wildcard substitution) for recorded files
  • + Render/Convert: allow / (create directory) in target filename, regardless of preference to allow / in wildcard substitutions
  • # Area selection: snapping improvements
  • # BWF: fix calculating source preferred position [p=2315899&]
  • # MCP FX: improve appearance of empty slots
  • # MCP extended mixer: When grouping FX parameters, use separate list
  • # Media explorer: fix default preview waveform height
  • # Media explorer: support assigning keyboard shortcut to delete files action
  • # Media explorer: when adding media on a new track, select the track
  • # wav: safer memory allocation/protection against unexpected data when reading wav files [t=239449]
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:13 PM   #2
EvilDragon

Goes back to his den for realz this time.

Thank you!

(This is still a problem, BTW: https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...2&postcount=32)
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:18 PM   #3
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
[*]# MCP extended mixer: When grouping FX parameters, use separate list
Now the question is if TCP should have this too. How possible it is that a user using separate parameters in MCP would want mixed parameters in TCP vs also separate (grouped) parameters in TCP.
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:21 PM   #4
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
Now the question is if TCP should have this too. How possible it is that a user using separate parameters in MCP would want mixed parameters in TCP vs also separate (grouped) parameters in TCP.
I guess that depends on what we consider an "extended" TCP? Since that doesn't really exist on the TCP side vs MCP. It would really only seem to apply if your TCP height is pretty large.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:22 PM   #5
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
Since that doesn't really exist on the TCP side vs MCP. It would really only seem to apply if your TCP height is pretty large.
That's a valid point!
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:24 PM   #6
akademie

Quote:
# MCP extended mixer: When grouping FX parameters, use separate list
yeah, and here we go...
thanks
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:32 PM   #7
deeb

Quote:
I guess that depends on what we consider an "extended" TCP? Since that doesn't really exist on the TCP side vs MCP. It would really only seem to apply if your TCP height is pretty large.
Well for this conceptualizariin yeahh .. but is still needed , but not in This form.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:35 PM   #8
Dimson

Reaper in Select Area mode does not copy hidden envelopes.

Dimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:38 PM   #9
Nixon

On linux:
If I scroll on the media explorer waveform the arrange window scrolls too.

Linux MX 19.2 Fluxbox
Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:40 PM   #10
bFooz

Quote:
True. Or you could scroll down to them parameters, which would actually be the same distance as scrolling to the last plugin with mixed parameters.

It again brings to me question why not port the whole MCP extended mixer into TCP, with some adjustments to better fit horizontal nature of TCP, e.g. columns for fx/params/sends. From user's perspective, that would probably be easier to use than current semi-similar/semi-different solution and would definitely add in consistency across the program.. Theme elements could be reused easily.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:44 PM   #11
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimson View Post
Reaper in Select Area mode does not copy hidden envelopes.
That's by design. The starting point with area selection is that it selects everything you see in the box.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:44 PM   #12
Nostrap

This is gonna be a super nice update! Really excited about all these new features.

The only thing, which I've reported before, is that Monitor FX which were open when I closed Reaper previously no longer open automatically when I open Reaper again. It's a minor thing, but it would be nice to not have to open up FX every time I open Reaper.
Nostrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:49 PM   #13
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
It again brings to me question why not port the whole MCP extended mixer into TCP, with some adjustments to better fit horizontal nature of TCP, e.g. columns for fx/params/sends. From user's perspective, that would probably be easier to use than current semi-similar/semi-different solution and would definitely add in consistency across the program.. Theme elements could be reused easily.
I would fully support being able to switch between normal and extended views in the TCP and giving themers the ability to create layouts for both. Would not only provide consistency, it would solve a lot of usability issues in the TCP itself.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:50 PM   #14
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
That's by design. The starting point with area selection is that it selects everything you see in the box.
And I like it. WYSIWYG is the best!
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:56 PM   #15
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Could we have an indicator in the MCP (and now also in the TCP), when an FX window is open? Like a change in color of the button.
We have it for "bypass" and "offline", but not for "float fx configuration"
Since we are currently making changes to Walter/Theme tweaker in this cycle, I'd like to give a gentle nudge and request a theme tweaker setting to select a different highlight color for FX in the MCP/TCP that currently have an open window displayed.
Old 07-08-2020, 02:05 PM   #16
Phazma

Quote:
[*]# MCP FX: improve appearance of empty slots
What does this do? Is this theme-dependent? Can't see any change in my Reaper.

Btw I have seen in the recent pres that its is possible to display (and I suppose open and add) insert FX to the TCP. This would be very cool as that way it might be possible for me to work without mixer. But I can not see how to do that. Does it have to do with Fx parameters? I don't use them so I don't know how they work exactly. I know that I can add a single parameter from an FX via the "Param" button but I don't find any option to add the whole insert to be accessible via TCP.
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:13 PM   #17
musicbynumbers

+ Recording: support automatically creating folders (including based on wildcard substitution) for recorded files

Woo hoo! If that's what it sounds like then super thanks!

Hmm. I'm hoping that means parent track and track? I'll give it a go!

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 07-08-2020 at 02:28 PM.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:17 PM   #18
horneusz

Scrollbar is not above embedded FX:

horneusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:20 PM   #19
ovnis

Hello devs,

Is it possible to expand the volume fader, please ?

More long, so more accurate. And more esthetic. No wasted space.

ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:26 PM   #20
musicbynumbers

+ Render/Convert: allow / (create directory) in target filename, regardless of preference to allow / in wildcard substitutions

Thanks for this too!

Regarding folder directories. It would be amazing if we could have a way to do something like this at some point..

\$ParentTrack\$Track

Which works now but only covers one parent track.

If we could have something else we can add to have it include multiple levels of parent tracks, creating sub folders for each level of parent track nesting that would be amazing for game audio.
Old 07-08-2020, 02:26 PM   #21
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovnis View Post
Is it possible to expand the volume fader, please ?
More tweaks of responsivnes are needed. This is usually approached "mobile-first", in our terms meaning first design the layout of the smallest possible window and then expand larger.
Old 07-08-2020, 02:30 PM   #22
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
\$ParentTrack\$Track

Which works now but only covers one parent track.

If we could have something else we can add to have it include multiple levels of parent tracks, creating sub folders for each level of parent track nesting that would be amazing for game audio.
Since when ? Uau did not see that comming ! Nice ! And +1 for parent2folder
Old 07-08-2020, 02:32 PM   #23
schwa
Administrator

btw if the track is named "foo/bar" that folder structure will be automatically created as well (optionally, the option is with the wildcard options).
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:44 PM   #24
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrap View Post
The only thing, which I've reported before, is that Monitor FX which were open when I closed Reaper previously no longer open automatically when I open Reaper again.
FWIW I tried v5.99 and v6.12 and neither open the monitoring FX chain window on startup. Are you sure you didn't have an action running on start up? For example you can use SWS global startup action feature, enter 41882, that is the action # for "View: Show monitoring FX chain".
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:44 PM   #25
WyattRice

Any chance of getting AS to snap respect snap to project sample rate, and also cursor, time selection, markers to AS starts and ends?
Old 07-08-2020, 02:47 PM   #26
Joe90

Quote:
v6.12+dev0708 - July 8 2020[*]# MCP extended mixer: When grouping FX parameters, use separate list
Thank you! Much appreciated.
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:55 PM   #27
xpander

Default Typo

In Theme development/tweaker; FX isnert text: offline. Should read; FX insert text: offline.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 03:17 PM   #28
RobinGShore

Quote:
Was this changed recently. I could swear that in previous dev builds hidden envelopes moved/copied with area selection as long as the "Envelope points move with media items" option was turned on, but that doesn't seem to be the case any more. Hidden envelopes don't copy even when the option is on.

Anyways if that's a design choice, it feels like a really poor one to me. I use lots and lots of automation envelopes, so I keep most of them hidden, otherwise the screen gets cluttered. I need to be able to have the envelopes follow my edits, and I don't want to have to toggle visibilty on and off everytime I make an edit.

In general I don't understand the decision to have the existing editing options/prefrences (trim behind, auto-crossfades, and now envelope follow) not apply to area selections. I get that a lot people want area selection to always be "WYSIWYG", but as long as they set their options correctly it can still work how they want it, while those of us who do need it to work differently sometimes, can still toggle the options on and off. Best of both worlds, no?

Last edited by RobinGShore; 07-08-2020 at 03:36 PM.
RobinGShore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 03:26 PM   #29
puddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinGShore View Post
Was this changed recently. I could swear that in previous dev builds hidden envelopes moved/copied with area selection as long as the "Envelope points move with media items" option was turned on, but that doesn't seem to be the case any more. Hidden envelopes don't copy even when the option is on.

Anyways if that's a design choice, it feels like a really poor one to me. I use lots and lots of automation envelopes, so I keep most of them hidden otherwise the screen gets cluttered. I need to be able to have my envelopes follow my edits, and I don't want to have to toggle visibilty on and off everytime I make an edit.

In general I don't understand the decision to have the existing editing options/prefrences (trim behind, auto-crossfades, and now envelope follow) not apply to area selections. I get that a lot people want area selection to always be "WYSIWYG", but as long as they set their options correctly it can still work how they want it, while those of who do need it to work differently sometimes can still toggle the options on and off. Best of both worlds, no?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it used to copy hidden envelopes in a previous version. That's what I'd expect if I have "Envelope points move with media items" turned ON. It sucks having to expand all envelopes if you want to quickly copy a section of the track.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:33 PM   #30
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinGShore View Post
Was this changed recently. I could swear that in previous dev builds hidden envelopes moved/copied with area selection as long as the "Envelope points move with media items" option was turned on, but that doesn't seem to be the case any more. Hidden envelopes don't copy even when the option is on
Yeah, I thought this had been discussed as well and that the expectation was if Envelope points move with media items was enabled, they would always be copied with AS, whether explicitly selected/visible or not.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:41 PM   #31
X-Raym

Quote:
# Media explorer: support assigning keyboard shortcut to delete files action
Not tested but is there a version with a warning popup ? Just as a safety measure to prevent errors.
Also, does the file goes to windows/mac recycle bin ?
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 03:41 PM   #32
musicbynumbers

Quote:
btw if the track is named "foo/bar" that folder structure will be automatically created as well (optionally, the option is with the wildcard options).
Nice! That's going to be very useful thanks!
Old 07-08-2020, 04:11 PM   #33
Joe90

Quote:
Yeah, I thought this had been discussed as well and that the expectation was if Envelope points move with media items was enabled, they would always be copied with AS, whether explicitly selected/visible or not.
I'm inclined to agree.

I'm generally a fan of the WYSIWYG approach for A.S, but in this situation it does feel more sensible to have A.S respect the 'move envelope points with media items' setting.
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:33 PM   #34
PitchSlap

Quote:
  • + Media explorer: add various display zoom actions
  • # wav: safer memory allocation/protection against unexpected data when reading wav files [t=239449]
Zoom in/out to selection works well, thanks!
The Media Explorer is my second home so the renovations are much appreciated.

A few other ideas.
-Zoom to right or left edge of selection (great for fine tuning loop points without endless mousing).

(Selection related but zoom/selection go hand in hand):
-Redo last selection.

-Modifier to lock the opposite edge of the selection. Countless times I've zoomed way in to tweak a selection edge only to accidentally lose the selection and have to zoom out and start over.

-Snap right or left edge of selection to the nearest zero crossing to prevent clicks (and/or adjust the whole selection to nearest zero-crossings).

-Adjust right/left selection edge to the next/previous beat (using the BPM calculated from the file length).

(reaper_wave.dll issues appear to be fixed)

Last edited by PitchSlap; 07-08-2020 at 04:41 PM.
PitchSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:50 PM   #35
heda

in the real world where you use the software to produce, my estimate is that 99% of the times you copy items or an area, you WANT to copy the envelopes too. because you want to copy the sound of the area, not the items only. If you have 20 envelopes I want to copy them without having them visible because it would be more difficult to select the area across multiple tracks with many envelopes visible too.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:53 PM   #36
RobinGShore

Writing metadata from the media explorer isn't working for me. I keep getting the following error
Old 07-08-2020, 05:03 PM   #37
puddi

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I'm inclined to agree.

I'm generally a fan of the WYSIWYG approach for A.S, but in this situation it does feel more sensible to have A.S respect the 'move envelope points with media items' setting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
in the real world where you use the software to produce, my estimate is that 99% of the times you copy items or an area, you WANT to copy the envelopes too. because you want to copy the sound of the area, not the items only. If you have 20 envelopes I want to copy them without having them visible because it would be more difficult to select the area across multiple tracks with many envelopes visible too.
+1

I just checked with Ableton, Bitwig and Studio One and they all copy the hidden envelopes with the area selection unless the user explicitly tells the program not to. Makes more sense to me.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:08 PM   #38
RobinGShore

Area selection snapping only seems to work when the grid is visible, this makes sense if you're snapping to grid lines, but not when snapping to the cursor, markers etc. I barely ever show the grid, but would still like to be able to snap areas to the cursor

Edit: once an area selection is already created, I can move it around and it will snap to the cursor when the grid is hidden, but when creating new areas the area selection edges only snap if the grid is visible.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:23 PM   #39
operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
Agree 100%... We already have the toggle action "automation follow item" when moving items regularly. Why not have this also affect the AS editing, would make the most sense to me.
operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:40 PM   #40
musicbynumbers

media explorer mouse wheel zoom is inverted.

Is it something I did or is there a way to invert this as what is zoom in when on the arrange (mouse wheel scroll up) is currently zooming out in media explorer