Old 08-02-2020, 02:18 PM   #1
babag
Human being with feelings

Default fxchain question

is there some place i missed that displays the name of the fxchain that i have loaded? probably something obvious i missed. been tweaking a chain and have several variants and would like to check which is loaded.

thx,
babag
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 04:18 PM   #2
martmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by babag View Post
is there some place i missed that displays the name of the fxchain that i have loaded? probably something obvious i missed. been tweaking a chain and have several variants and would like to check which is loaded.

thx,
babag
me too i would like to have this feature...
martmix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 04:20 PM   #3
Coachz

No, the fx chain does not get displayed because it's basically just a preset that loads fx inand then you can add more effects and so it would no longer be that chain
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 04:25 PM   #4
akademie

^^^^^ That.

But it could be useful to have that info in Undo History maybe...? (just for reference to origins)
(Something like "date/time ... FXChain "chain_name" added to a track XY")
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 04:33 PM   #5
martmix

just the posibility to display the "rack" just like in cakewalk..
Old 08-02-2020, 04:39 PM   #6
akademie

"rack" isn't FXChain as soon as any other FX is added/removed/repositioned within the chain and when any parameter is tweaked after the fact - that's why Coachz wrote analogy to a "preset".

EDIT:
But you may use "FX Comment for" the very first FX in a Chain (or even for every one in chain if you can spend time to add that info to all of them) and Enter there the same name as filename of FXChain. Then you could get clue what chain was originally loaded... before it got messed by further tweaking and editing, of course
Old 08-02-2020, 04:43 PM   #7
heda

workaround would be to make a dummy blank JSFX plugin, rename it to the name you want, and include it in the fxchain.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 04:46 PM   #8
akademie

... or that ^^^^^^, yes heda
Old 08-02-2020, 04:47 PM   #9
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
workaround would be to make a dummy blank JSFX plugin, rename it to the name you want, and include it in the fxchain.
That's a pretty good idea. You could put it first and give it the FX chain name with some characters around it to make it stand out from all the others.

**Sax dly rvb **
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 05:44 PM   #10
martmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
That's a pretty good idea. You could put it first and give it the FX chain name with some characters around it to make it stand out from all the others.

**Sax dly rvb **
yes good idea !
Old 08-02-2020, 09:41 PM   #11
babag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
No, the fx chain does not get displayed because it's basically just a preset that loads fx inand then you can add more effects and so it would no longer be that chain
right, but, if you're developing a workflow, as i described, you'd give the chain a name and number, resaving and incrementing with each change. Dialog_FX-00 might be an example name.

i actually do use dummy plugs for identification of sections within my chains but it's a lot more work to do that than it would be to simply see the fxchain name readily displayed someplace. also, the same argument can be made regarding individual fx presets. i just tried loading a preset and changed the settings. by the logic above, this should be a new preset now, yet the original preset name still shows. it does revert to 'no preset' after a save and reopen. if the preset is unchanged, the original name is preserved in the display. perhaps this is an area that could use a little thought. i'd be happy, though, if there was a display field someplace for full fxchains that behaved like this.

thanks,
babag

Last edited by babag; 08-02-2020 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-03-2020, 04:21 AM   #12
akademie

In fact it does not make a sense at all.
If you just load more than one FXChain files to a track, then it cannot display correct info.

And if by chain as a "rack" you could mean set of plugins in specific order and specifically interconnected (by in/out pins of each single FX instance). Parameters settings aside, so even if you tweak parameters of each plugin there it is still the chain/rack. But again if you change the order, add another FX, change routing between the FX's, then it woul be misleading to call it by the original FXChain name.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:30 AM   #13
babag

if you change something it reverts to something similar to the 'no preset' state of individual plugins. seems pretty simple.