Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 07-22-2020, 11:01 PM   #1
COBI
Human being with feelings

Default Getting REAPER and EWQL PLAY to play nice together?

I'll try to keep this short and sweet.

I have a REAPER project that originally was set up to use a total of eight instances of the EastWest Quantum Leap PLAY engine: Four of these were for the instrumental tracks and four were for the choral parts (one each for S, A, T, and B). FWIW, my computer has had absolutely no trouble in running REAPER projects that had even heavier loads imposed on them, so that is not probably a key factor.

Everything was going along just fine, until I got to measure 117.4.00 in REAPER. Then, for some unknown reason, REAPER started hanging at that point, where SATB all had parts entering at the same time (not for the first time in this piece). The odd thing is, that, Task Manager shows REAPER consuming approximately 80% of the CPU (on average) in that hung state, and yet, nothing seems to be happening. Playback is just sitting there, hung, and I have to kill everything in Task Manager, because REAPER becomes totally unresponsive.

I thought maybe REAPER was just getting overwhelmed or overloaded or something, so I decided to divide the piece into two separate files, one for the instrument tracks and one for the choral tracks.

However, when I try to launch the REAPER project that contains just the choral tracks (and PLAY instances), it still hangs at the same point—but only with all four instances of PLAY loaded. If I abort the loading of the PLAY engines during project startup, things move along just fine. But of course, then I get no sound output. [This same pattern holds true in the original file/project that has all eight instances of the PLAY engine installed and running. So, that would seem to rule out REAPER being the culprit--but who knows?]

I am sending a copy of this request to both Cockos Incorporated and EWQL, because I cannot, personally, figure out what is causing it. There must be something in the REAPER project file at that point that REAPER does not like or cannot handle; but is it REAPER or is it the EWQL PLAY engines?

I would be happy to send a copy of the file, if it would help someone—ANYONE—figure out what the problem is and fix it.

Any takers out there?