Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 07-17-2020, 08:26 AM   #41
Shootkin
Human being with feelings

Default Media explorer

Sorry for the frequent bumping, but this is really important to me. Especially since MX is getting so many great updates.

Is it possible to add an option to switch the focus from Media Explorer to the Arrange View after I drag and drop a sample into my arrangement? I would not like to stay in Media Explorer, but to continue my work in the context of my project.

Anyone else? I would be grateful for any support, thank you
Old 07-17-2020, 08:29 AM   #42
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by horneusz View Post
Copying and pasting AI doesn't work:
For me (Win10 x64) the AI is pasted to the beginning of the project instead of where the edit cursor is.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:43 AM   #43
daniellumertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
For me (Win10 x64) the AI is pasted to the beginning of the project instead of where the edit cursor is.
happening to me to :O
daniellumertz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:53 AM   #44
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootkin View Post
Is it possible to add an option to switch the focus from Media Explorer to the Arrange View after I drag and drop a sample into my arrangement? I would not like to stay in Media Explorer, but to continue my work in the context of my project.
+1. But currently each focus switch or a lack of it is problematic since there is no focus indicator implemented which would inform a user what window is focused.
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:04 AM   #45
Shootkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
+1. But currently each focus switch or a lack of it is problematic since there is no focus indicator implemented which would inform a user what window is focused.
Yes, it's reasonable. But in all "more other" programmes, this behavior is treated as the default. If I want this behavior, then I definitely don't need any additional "hints" - I just work as I'm used to. So I'm asking for an option, even if it's not the default behaviour. Is it logical? Or not?

P/S: The focus indicator is not particularly implemented anywhere. The user just goes where he wants and gets the result. If I switch between Windows Explorer windows or Finder windows by scrolling, what kind of focus transition indicator do I have? None.

Last edited by Shootkin; 07-17-2020 at 09:29 AM.
Shootkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:45 AM   #46
vitalker

I don't know where to write, but Justin just released audio player called ReaPlay in VST format for Reaper. You'll find it in root folder on LoL.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:04 AM   #47
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
I don't know where to write, but Justin just released audio player called ReaPlay in VST format for Reaper. You'll find it in root folder on LoL.
Wow, thanks for letting know
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:08 AM   #48
ferropop

Quote:
Sorry for the frequent bumping, but this is really important to me. Especially since MX is getting so many great updates.

+1.

Here's what happens otherwise:

1. Drop sample onto arrange
2. Hit Space to listen to your dropped sample, but MX plays sample instead.
3. You have to click on Arrange to refocus -- but where? You end up clicking on some random section of the project, taking you away from the focus of working on the sample you just dropped.

What should happen:

2. Focus changes to Arrange, MX stops playing immediately upon drop.
3. Playhead/selected track should either stay as-is or seek to drop location, so when you hit play you're hearing it in context.
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:12 AM   #49
ferropop

Also is this not connecting with other users?

"Tint active-track background (IN GENERAL) instead of horizontal guide lines" during dragging.

There's such a visual disconnect between dropping the sample and proceeding to work on it atm. The lack of active-track tinting means, if you look away even for a second (ie, a dialogue box, literally anything...) you have now lost visual focus of where you were just working.

The current guidelines are ok but only engage during sample drop, but why not just tint the backgrounds of selected track(s)? Is this bad in some way I'm not thinking of? I can only see it as a tremendous improvement.
Old 07-17-2020, 10:20 AM   #50
bFooz

Quote:
P/S: The focus indicator is not particularly implemented anywhere. The user just goes where he wants and gets the result. If I switch between Windows Explorer windows or Finder windows by scrolling, what kind of focus transition indicator do I have?
I also support changing focus to arrange on dragging.

In Windows, scrolling is exception, but keyboard goes to whatever window you have focused and that focus is shown well. From examples among softwares, I can name Adobe Premiere Pro with a blue outline around focused section and Davinci Resolve with an orange outline around focused section.
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:37 AM   #51
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Cool, thanks!
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:43 AM   #52
ferropop

Quote:
Cool, thanks!
Hahah no way

A proud WinAmp user here since April 1997!

Timing is so weird -- just discovered WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project) and have been absolutely loving it as a media player. MilkDrop 4 life.
Old 07-17-2020, 10:46 AM   #53
ferropop

...if ReaPlay supported Spotify links (with loudness matching) it would officially become the greatest AB tool on the market. *ahemmm!* <3
Old 07-17-2020, 12:20 PM   #54
Ericson

Reaplay is so awesome!!! Thank you so much Justin for making it available as a VST. I was dreaming this for years to come true! Just brilliant!
Could you also please, please add the block wave graph of Winamp to the spectrum analyzer besides the other ones? I'm used to knowing how songs 'look' on the graph and I can't wait to watch my own songs on the graph within Reaper! Thanks master

EDIT: By the way, the EQ button is wonderfull, finaly I can minimize reaper from full screen with one click haha
Ericson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:42 PM   #55
Justin
Administrator

Block wave graph?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:50 PM   #56
Vagelis

@Justin

I can't close the reaplay from the X button, is this intentional?
And btw congrats and thank you, love it
Old 07-17-2020, 12:51 PM   #57
tronce

Quote:

definitely +1 for this
tronce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 01:03 PM   #58
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
@Justin

I can't close the reaplay from the X button, is this intentional?
And btw congrats and thank you, love it
That's intentional unless the playlist is open -- you can hide the main window with alt+w in that case too.
Old 07-17-2020, 01:13 PM   #59
Vagelis

Ah i see, thanks!
Old 07-17-2020, 01:15 PM   #60
babag

Quote:
Is it possible to add an option to switch the focus from Media Explorer to the Arrange View after I drag and drop a sample into my arrangement?
i'd like to see this as an option, not necessarily default. while i might work this way sometimes, i often am repeatedly grabbing short bits from a very long file in the media explorer and returning to the m.e. for more. it's not until i amass a bunch of clips in the arrange that i want to move focus. no objection to an option but it would be a real pain to be constantly bouncing back and forth.
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 01:18 PM   #61
Denys

Quote:

Another +1 for this!

That and maybe Spectrogram view in the Media Explorer if it's not too much work on the dev side?
Old 07-17-2020, 01:20 PM   #62
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by babag View Post
i'd like to see this as an option, not necessarily default. while i might work this way sometimes, i often am repeatedly grabbing short bits from a very long file in the media explorer and returning to the m.e. for more. it's not until i amass a bunch of clips in the arrange that i want to move focus. no objection to an option but it would be a real pain to be constantly bouncing back and forth.
It would just be focus for keyboard input. I hear you on your particular workflow, I don't think it would interrupt it. Are you using Actions/shortcuts to amass the clips in Arrange, or just double-clicking in MX? Because if after the sample gets added and focus were to change to arrange, you just keep doing your mouse thing as if focus hadn't changed.

If you're using keyboard shortcuts then that's different because yes focus would be moved away from MX.
Old 07-17-2020, 01:29 PM   #63
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
Noticed this in recent pres:

Issue: When "Rendering to file" with the above settings (Run FX When Stopped Unchecked, run FX for 0 ms) the normally-suppressed FX tail is being Rendered into the file. ie, if you hit Stop in the middle of a big reverb tail, then Render to File, you would get that reverb tail playing at the beginning of your rendered file.

Workaround: Before "Rendering to file" I have to find a blank part of the project, hit Play and let the FX tails "drain", then run Render To File.

Could (shouldn't?) Reaper flush the FX immediately before running the Render to File process?

For clarity:

Note: the first few bars are empty, there should be no audio at all. Instead the tail from the previous Stop are played during this silent part of the project. Same thing happens with Render to File.
Old 07-17-2020, 01:57 PM   #64
Ericson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Block wave graph?
Don't know how it's called. Please see attachment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SmartSelect_20200717-225531_Gallery.jpg (20.9 KB, 180 views)
Old 07-17-2020, 02:10 PM   #65
Ericson

Quote:
Hahah no way

A proud WinAmp user here since April 1997!

Timing is so weird -- just discovered WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project) and have been absolutely loving it as a media player. MilkDrop 4 life.
Thanks for sharing Wacup, haven't heared about it before. Does it scale correctly on 4k screen? Because Winamp 5.666 keeps jumping away off screen every time when using hidpi screen
Old 07-17-2020, 02:15 PM   #66
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericson View Post
Don't know how it's called. Please see attachment.
Ah blocky spectrum analyzer? Meh.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:58 PM   #67
rasmusmarshagen

Quote:
For clarity:

Note: the first few bars are empty, there should be no audio at all. Instead the tail from the previous Stop are played during this silent part of the project. Same thing happens with Render to File.
Yes this is really annoying would love if they fixed it. That tail also plays in a veeery choppy manner every time when navigating the edit cursor after stopping the transport.
rasmusmarshagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 04:51 PM   #68
BJORG

Quote:
Cool, thanks!
Totally in love with that... my Reaper DJ session get so much easier! Each track with his own player... YEAH!
BJORG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 04:57 PM   #69
daxliniere

Quote:
Cool, thanks!
Oh cool! I can load this plugin into WinAmp with the VST DSP plugin! XD XD

Great news about WACUP. I've been using WinAmp since I was in high school (I think I even bought a licence before Justin sold NS) and I never stopped using it. I still get people in the studio say "Hey! Is that Winamp??"

My friends and I spent HOURS watching Ryan M Geiss' handiwork. Happy memories.
daxliniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 03:42 PM   #70
Shootkin

Quote:
What should happen:

2. Focus changes to Arrange, MX stops playing immediately upon drop.
3. Playhead/selected track should either stay as-is or seek to drop location, so when you hit play you're hearing it in context.
It's Exactly what I dream about!
Old 07-18-2020, 03:43 PM   #71
Shootkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
From examples among softwares, I can name Adobe Premiere Pro with a blue outline around focused section and Davinci Resolve with an orange outline around focused section.
Okay, okay, I agree, I just didn’t pay attention to it But if the absence of the indicator concept in Reaper will be an obstacle to the implementation of this option, it will be so sad.