Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS X

Old 07-29-2020, 03:56 PM   #1
superblonde.org
Human being with feelings

Default Possible Solutions for installing Plugins on Catalina

I installed a couple vsti's recently in catalina and didnt have a problem other than trying to figure out all the hoops to jump through to download free versions and/or install the companys' installers which would then do some installation. for example I installed bbc orchestra from spitfire audio (talk about hoops to jump thru, to get it free... yikes).

I had some confusion because I couldnt find them in reaper. turned out to be one of the few times when rebooting made everything appear properly.

To run unsigned apps or plugins I have never had to go into terminal or run commands. I run the unsigned installer-app, catalina complains, then I go to system preferences (i.e. like "control panel") and then under the Security pane there is a red warning icon which says "blah blah app is trying to run, allow it to run?" and click Ok. Then re-run the app again.

Btw this does not turn off security features. Except for that 1 app. All subsequent attempts of other apps will still have to go thru the same deny-then-manually-allow process.
superblonde.org is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:34 AM   #2
superblonde.org
Human being with feelings

I just installed 4front piano on catalina.

1. Download it from the website as zip

2. Using Finder, copy-paste the library file into my Library path,
/Users/jonathan/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST

3. Using Finder, Rename to .vst extension as it says in it's readme
4Front Piano.vst

Now I have the VST file,
/Users/jonathan/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/4Front Piano.vst

Which by the way says it is (just checking that it is 64 bit):
Code:
% file /Users/jonathan/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/4Front\ Piano.vst/Contents/MacOS/4Front\ Piano
/Users/jonathan/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/4Front Piano.vst/Contents/MacOS/4Front Piano: Mach-O universal binary with 3 architectures: [ppc_7400:Mach-O bundle ppc_7400] [x86_64] [i386]
/Users/jonathan/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/4Front Piano.vst/Contents/MacOS/4Front Piano (for architecture ppc7400):	Mach-O bundle ppc_7400
/Users/jonathan/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/4Front Piano.vst/Contents/MacOS/4Front Piano (for architecture x86_64):	Mach-O 64-bit bundle x86_64
/Users/jonathan/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/4Front Piano.vst/Contents/MacOS/4Front Piano (for architecture i386):	Mach-O bundle i386
4. Run this single command in Terminal to allow this single library to always open:

Code:
sudo xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine "/Users/jonathan/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/4Front Piano.vst"
5. Run Reaper as normal, it scans VSTs and sees the new one.

So yeah you are correct that unsigned VSTi requires a Terminal command. Normally I don't install these. But there could easily be a utility app to do this for the user if they don't want to type the one simple command in Terminal. Plus the utility could verify the VST is 64-bit.

In another 4 years all these VSTi's will have to be recompiled for Apple ARM anyway or they won't run at all on new hardware. So really this is a short transition timeframe.

For those with lots of VSTi then they could run a recursive Terminal command to unsecure all their VSTi in one operation (somewhat less safe, definitely).. something like,

find ~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST -name "*.vst" -exec sudo xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine "{}" \;

Last edited by superblonde.org; 07-30-2020 at 08:56 AM.
superblonde.org is offline   Reply With Quote