Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 02-03-2011, 09:27 AM   #1
Thurgood
Human being with feelings

Default opening new project tab using existing template

Hello all: I have an existing saved project that has "source tracks" that I would like to open/import into a "new project" using a project template that I have saved under "file-project templates". Here is the issue for me: when I have the oroginal project open I can open "new project tab" jsut fine but I want to use an existing template. ( this one has preset sends returns etc. that I genereally use when working with a singer player artist). When I select new project tab it opens a blank tempalte whereas I want the other tempalte. Yeah I know I could recreate the routing once the new project tab is open but golly I spent quite a bit getting the "singer/player template" right.

I know there is a way around this but I am stumped. Its kinda like going from project recording/construction to mixing using a new tab. . Could this be some sort of "import to existing template"? Help. Could two instances of Reaper operate such that I can cut and paste between the two? seems cumbersome. Thanks in advance.
Thurgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:45 AM   #2
fsenseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurgood View Post
Hello all: I have an existing saved project that has "source tracks" that I would like to open/import into a "new project" using a project template that I have saved under "file-project templates". Here is the issue for me: when I have the oroginal project open I can open "new project tab" jsut fine but I want to use an existing template. ( this one has preset sends returns etc. that I genereally use when working with a singer player artist). When I select new project tab it opens a blank tempalte whereas I want the other tempalte. Yeah I know I could recreate the routing once the new project tab is open but golly I spent quite a bit getting the "singer/player template" right.

I know there is a way around this but I am stumped. Its kinda like going from project recording/construction to mixing using a new tab. . Could this be some sort of "import to existing template"? Help. Could two instances of Reaper operate such that I can cut and paste between the two? seems cumbersome. Thanks in advance.
Can you not open a new project tab and then with that tab selected open your project template? Don't have Reaper handy at the moment to try it out.

Kind Regards,
Fleet
fsenseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:45 AM   #3
DarkStar

Just select [File] >> Project Templates and pick the one you want.

But see this too: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3220

Also, you can set a default project template in your Preferences
Old 02-03-2011, 12:26 PM   #4
Thurgood

Thanks. When I do this.

"Can you not open a new project tab and then with that tab selected open your project template?"

Reaper opens a blank tab and when I choose "open project template" it closes the open project (that I was working on.) Hmmmm. Lemme think.

Ok that seems to work as it closes the "blank" new project but in fact I was able to open the template of my choice that replaces the "blank" with my tempalte of choice. . . Thanks. What was throwing me in the ditch was the pop up that asks me to save existing project. (new blank project tab). I realy appreciate your help.

Any tips for transferring the files from the original to the new, now open, template yet maintaining the timing integrety? Could I just do a copy selected items and paste beggining on a different track in the new template? For example: Original project uses tracks 1-12 as recorded audio/loops, the new template begins at track 13 (1-12 are returns). ?
Old 02-03-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
BenK-msx

hi thurgood, what you're describing is pretty similar to what i do with 'reawave' (see my sig) - all that does is basically open up a set project template (which could easily be your own one) in a new tab and pastes selected audio into it, then you can also glue edits etc. back in their original place into the main project.

the guts of the first bit revolves around the sws action 'load project template N', (rename your project template to Nwhatever ): e.g 10mytemplate.rpp then the action 'load project template 10' loads it up.

so then macro goes:
copy stuff
new tab
load project template N
paste your stuff..

you should be able to adapt the principle to your particular needs if you have a dig around the macro and alter things a bit,
any qs let me know and will try to assist.

but what you want can be done with a little bit of setup.

Last edited by BenK-msx; 02-03-2011 at 01:00 PM.
BenK-msx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:41 PM   #6
Thurgood

Thanks to you. I figured there was a way to do what I wanted either via SWS or other macro. I will investigate more. Greatly appreciated. Got to love this software and forum. Cheers.