Old 02-26-2020, 06:42 AM   #1
jwwaudio
Human being with feelings

Default How to find a VST?

I would bet my life this has been asked before. I am new to DAW's and of course, REAPER V6.0X.

Currently I have V 6.04 installed on my MAC Book. I am running the latest version of Catalina.

I find the installation of plug ins to be very confusing. I have successfully installed a theme by dragging and dropping a theme onto Reaper.

Should I create a folder someone on my machine and copy a typical VST plugin into that folder so when I scan for plugin's, Reaper will detect it?

What am I missing?

Jeff W Waldrop
jwwaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 07:13 AM   #2
vdubreeze
Human being with feelings

Hi Jeff, welcome!

No, there will be two places VSTs can be manually installed (if an installer didn't already put them there). One is Library/Audio/Plugins/VST (and the other plugin formats, VST3, Components (AU) etc), which will make them accessible to all users. The other place is User/Library/Audio/VST, which will make them accessible to only that user. Apple keeps that library folder invisible, so you need to access it by going to the Go menu in the Finder while holding the option key.

VSTs go into VST folder, VST3 into VST3 and Audio Units, or AUs go into Components.

Last edited by vdubreeze; 02-26-2020 at 07:25 AM.
vdubreeze is offline   Reply With Quote