Old 11-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
Tyrannocaster
Human being with feelings

Default Change sharps to flats?

I'm working on a project that is in Cm and the midi display insists on showing everything with names that use sharps. Can I change this to flats? That is, change D# to Eb like it should be? Sharps are fine if you're playing in a sharp key like A or whatever, but this sucks in a flat key.
Tyrannocaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:36 PM   #2
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrannocaster View Post
I'm working on a project that is in Cm and the midi display insists on showing everything with names that use sharps. Can I change this to flats? That is, change D# to Eb like it should be? Sharps are fine if you're playing in a sharp key like A or whatever, but this sucks in a flat key.
As in chnge the way the midi editor displays the note so the note reads right -it is the same note and plays the same MIDI note number.

>
Old 11-14-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
DarkStar

Flashback:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=18425
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=1447

and
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=91963

[IMG]http://img847.**************/img847/8789/r411dsscales01.png[/IMG]

You'll find a .zip file there that should help.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #4
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
As in chnge the way the midi editor displays the note so the note reads right

>
Yes.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:14 PM   #5
Tyrannocaster

Hey, thanks! That is better, although not great. It requires you to do more than you should (IMO) and the resulting display is a little odd, with the key names on the left (the keys in the display) doubled on all of the Cs (no ide why this would be, but all the Cs show two names now, like "C3 C4"). The notes now show the correct flat names but for some reason they still show the sharps too, making for a cluttered view.

Also, since Reaper uses a different editor for each separate midi section, I have to load a ton of these, which is a pain in the butt. I don't want to glue all of the midi events together, which would solve that problem but create far worse ones.

I'm glad you made this available but in my opinion you should not have had to do it; Reaper should be able to deal with flats without kludges like this.

Last edited by Tyrannocaster; 11-14-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:21 PM   #6
James HE

Reatune suffers the same problem.
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:45 AM   #7
DarkStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrannocaster View Post
Hey, thanks! That is better, although not great. It requires you to do more than you should (IMO) and the resulting display is a little odd, with the key names on the left (the keys in the display) doubled on all of the Cs (no idea why this would be, but all the Cs show two names now, like "C3 C4"). The notes now show the correct flat names but for some reason they still show the sharps too, making for a cluttered view.

Also, since Reaper uses a different editor for each separate midi section, I have to load a ton of these, which is a pain in the butt. I don't want to glue all of the midi events together, which would solve that problem but create far worse ones.

I'm glad you made this available but in my opinion you should not have had to do it; Reaper should be able to deal with flats without kludges like this.
Yep - go and vote.

As for the need to load them multiple times:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=28305
and
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=1404

The Cs are doubled as Reaper always display the octave name in the Piano Roll. Switch to "Hide unused / unnamed notes). The Octave difference (C3 C4) is because those names are for a MIDI Octave Offset of -1. That can be set in Preferences >> Media >> MIDI.

The note names files are text files so they can be edited in Notepad or in the piano roll itself (double right-click then Tab / Shift+TAb to the next / previous one).
Old 11-15-2012, 03:31 AM   #8
gofer
-blänk-

re: the doubled C names

Couldn't you just leave the notes for all C unnamed and they won't double up?
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:37 AM   #9
DarkStar

^^^^
Yes, you would be OK in the "All notes" (Piano Roll) view. But they would not appear in the "Hide unused / unnamed notes" view, even though they are "named".

Last edited by DarkStar; 11-15-2012 at 03:46 AM.
DarkStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:55 AM   #10
Tyrannocaster

DarkStar, according to those threads you linked to, if I have the channel set to show all then subsequent new editors will show the note names as per the file. However, this isn't correct. I am using Reaper with a GR-1 guitar synth - this sends notes on six channels so I have to have "all" on. When I load a note name file the next editor I open does not have the correct names - it has the old ones. I just checked this. I am using Reaper 4.261 32 bit with Windows 7. In any case, isn't "all" the default setting? Or is there another place I should be looking rather than that little CHANNEL popup in the upper right corner of the midi editor?
Old 11-15-2012, 07:45 AM   #11
DarkStar

'Fraid not - that's how I (and others) would like it to work, but it has not been implemented.
  • At the moment, when "All" is selected and a Note Name file loaded, the names are visible for "All" or Channel 01 is selected.
  • When another channel is selected and a Note Name file loaded, the names are visible only when that same channel is selected.
You're looking in the right place.

Also, the Note Names are tied to the track, not to the clips. So if a clip is moved to another track the note names are no longer present
Old 03-04-2016, 01:46 PM   #12
JFetter

Any updates since 2012?

I'm also working on a piece with flats, and it is needlessly confusing trying to find my place in the sheet music score, by looking at a note progression A-Bb, and then trying to find the same place in my midi editor by looking for A-A# instead.

This seems like an easy thing to implement per project.
JFetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:30 AM   #13
Mordi

Is this still not a thing? I figured this was a given.
Mordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:20 AM   #14
_Stevie_

This is something I just discovered and thought I might share it.
I had flats all over the place, although, key snap was deactivated.

My findings: the scale dictates the accidental, even if it is turned off!
So double check, if you maybe have a scale set that causes this.

Old 09-20-2020, 08:44 AM   #15
outpatient

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
This is something I just discovered and thought I might share it.
I had flats all over the place, although, key snap was deactivated.

My findings: the scale dictates the accidental, even if it is turned off!
So double check, if you maybe have a scale set that causes this.
yep - I actually find this helpful as I rarely use key snap, so I get an easy toggle between sharps/flats with the 'notation: display accidentals as [sharps/flats] in C major' actions. just gotta remember to set it back to C major before turning key snap off

funnily enough this is something that drives me insane about other DAWs. it's such a simple, obvious thing, and the vast majority of them don't have *any* way to display flats. cubase can, but you have to set up a chord track and pick a flat key (and even then you're still stuck with C3 being middle C, ugh...)
outpatient is offline   Reply With Quote