Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 06-02-2020, 05:46 AM   #1
Roland-Music
Human being with feelings

Default Film Scoring to Picture: Warp grid for Markers

Are here any Members which use reaper for Film Scoring?

Film composer needs to move Picture Markers to a Grid's downbeat or the Clicktrack. That's not possible at the moment. Project Settings are based on time, but markers can't moved time based currently.

Please extend Grid Moving for Markers linear time based (Music events follow)- in other DAW's it is called "Time Warp Tool" or "SMPTE Lock".
  1. Tempo Mapping for Markers: to be able to set a marker and adjust automatic calculate tempo according to where that marker is placed (Picture in Place).
  2. SMPTE (Timecode) lock would be great. It works similar in Cubase, Logic Pro X, Pro Tools Ultimate, etc. but doesn't work in Repaer because Tempo Mapping for Markers set to Picture Point is not possible.
You have up to 10 Picture Markers in a Session, the time should generate automatic, like snap Function in the Stretch Markers Tool.

Please watch this video below, it explain Picture Markers, it's in Cubase:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tArYK2D2DAU

Tempo Mapping for Markers is essential for Scoring to Picture.

Thanks
Roland-Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 11:57 AM   #2
_Stevie_

Yes, yes, yes, totally support this request!

And yep, that video is perfect for showing what it is all about (starts at around 6:00). Please devs, give it a go.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:12 PM   #3
ferropop

I feel like Subprojects with Warp Grid have SO much potential in Reaper but are just...unfinished, unpolished, somehow vacant of their actual applicability and usefulness in film scoring
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:47 AM   #4
Roland-Music

Okay, some interests seems there: here is the Logic Pro Option for this topic:

You can LOCK Position and Time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNeb...youtu.be&t=476

Attached Images
File Type: png 2020-06-04-Logic.png (42.6 KB, 1116 views)
Old 06-04-2020, 06:39 AM   #5
_Stevie_

Yep, totally essential for film scoring.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:32 AM   #6
Stroudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland-Music View Post
Are here any Members which use reaper for Film Scoring?

Film composer needs to move Picture Markers to a Grid's downbeat or the Clicktrack. That's not possible at the moment. Project Settings are based on time, but markers can't moved time based currently.

Please extend Grid Moving for Markers linear time based (Music events follow)- in other DAW's it is called "Time Warp Tool" or "SMPTE Lock".
  1. Tempo Mapping for Markers: to be able to set a marker and adjust automatic calculate tempo according to where that marker is placed (Picture in Place).
  2. SMPTE (Timecode) lock would be great. It works similar in Cubase, Logic Pro X, Pro Tools Ultimate, etc. but doesn't work in Repaer because Tempo Mapping for Markers set to Picture Point is not possible.
You have up to 10 Picture Markers in a Session, the time should generate automatic, like snap Function in the Stretch Markers Tool.

Thanks

The new Take Markers can be used to mark your video track. As you would have your video track set to Time Based not Beat or Beat+Rate, the Take Markers will remain at their correct points in time. To warp, you can use "SWS/BR: Move closest grid line to mouse cursor (perform until shortcut released)"

I just made this video to explain:

HD wasn't ready at the time of posting this message
Stroudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:12 AM   #7
Roland-Music

Default additionally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroudy View Post
The new Take Markers can be used to mark your video track. As you would have your video track set to Time Based not Beat or Beat+Rate, the Take Markers will remain at their correct points in time. To warp, you can use "SWS/BR: Move closest grid line to mouse cursor (perform until shortcut released)"

Thanks, but No and Yes

Watch your video again. The Markers are moving - if you change the speed! That doesn't help to set Hit Points in the movie with Markers...

You must set the complete project to Time Based ! After this, it is a workaround. You add additionally Take Markers to each Marker. It works now until you don't change the Time Signature (4/4 to 6/8 f.ex. ) and you don't activate the Tempo curve: Gradually transition tempo to next marker - this get quirky now .....

Perhaps as feature request fine tune this, it's unwieldy and time consuming if you have 20 Markers or more in a session, or you get a video version review and have change Markers in the middle .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroudy View Post
HD wasn't ready at the time of posting this message

What is HD?

Here is the workaround:
Old 06-15-2020, 07:26 AM   #8
Stroudy

You're right, regular markers (above the WILL move. If the track is set to Time-Based - Take markers won't move.

If you still need regular markers - there is another way around that. Heda Track Regions (it can do regions AND markers) - https://reaper.hector-corcin.com/app/regions-tracks

Set a track in time-based mode and use items as markers - the Heda script will generate regular markers where the items are. When you map a new tempo, those markers won't move. If you're using MIDI items to do this - make sure the item ignores the tempo - use this action...

SWS/BR: Enable "Ignore project tempo" for selected MIDI items (use tempo at item's start)

HD is referring to the quality of the youTube video - doesn't matter now.
Stroudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 10:44 AM   #9
heda

hehe... Thank you Stroudy

I think REAPER can do this well, with a combination of time based markers and SWS grid tempo functions... I'm not sure what is the problem.
I cannot watch the video now but I'll watch it later and try to understand what is needed.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 05:05 AM   #10
Roland-Music

Default practical

Okay, thanks - construction kit reaper . It looks quite complicated for 10 or more markers - i will try it, if its practical in production...
Old 06-20-2020, 05:14 AM   #11
heda

Quote:
Okay, thanks - construction kit reaper . It looks quite complicated for 10 or more markers - i will try it, if its practical in production...
don't give up. it is possible to do it without construction kits
project settings, set markers to time based.
then there are some functions to insert tempos to adjust to a time selection between two markers or even tempo grid warp with the sws tempo functions.
what we are missing I think, is that Logic's tempo ramp calculation feature. that's kind of cool
Old 06-22-2020, 04:19 AM   #12
_Stevie_

@Heda, I'll try to sum up the issue:

Markers can't be individually switched from tempo-based to time-based. They follow the timebase setting in the project settings (Timebase for items/envelopes/markers).
Therefore, they will move with the MIDI, when adding new tempo or measure changes.
Usually, markers in film are used to create hitpoint-references for the video.
That means, we should be able to have independent timebase settings for markers and MIDI data.
Old 06-22-2020, 04:47 AM   #13
heda

ok I understand now.. thanks
it would be good to have the option to set markers to Time, with item/envelope still to Beat.
the workaround is to set all tracks to Beat to override the project setting but you have to do it for all new tracks you create too. not ideal.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:05 AM   #14
Roland-Music

I'm back to this topic: Reaper has everything you need for this.

The developer only must implement the Lock Position and Time and calculate the new tempo so set this Markers as shown above:

VIDEO: Here the Tempo Map example in Logic Pro X
https://youtu.be/JNebiTkCJUc?t=606

Old 03-17-2021, 08:39 AM   #15
Roland-Music

After one year I would like to bring this topic in front: Marker with SMPTE (Timecode) lock would be great - See first post.

For scoring to picture the additional Take Markers to each Marker don't really help and are a nightmare to setup. I have at least 25 Markers (Way- and Hitpoints) in a filmscore cue with tempo and Signature changes.

So please add a Beatmapping feature with SMPTE locked Markers. Every major DAW has this...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg marker-20210317.jpg (24.0 KB, 797 views)
Old 03-17-2021, 09:34 AM   #16
geoffroy

Would love this
Old 03-17-2021, 07:20 PM   #17
tonalstates

pleaaaaase +1
tonalstates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 12:27 PM   #18
CQrity

Another +1
CQrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:04 AM   #19
Roland-Music

The topic Film Scoring - to Picture should not be forgotten. Who actually decides which Feature Request will be added? There is no vote or most wanted - we should create a pay donation...
Old 04-02-2021, 09:25 AM   #20
_Stevie_

I fear this all wont help. It's the devs decision and they practically do one thing after another. Right now, it is Razor Edits and probably an additional take system. So I guess, there will be no time to add new major features.

And demanding things with pressure in a harsh tone usually doesn't help (no criticism here, just a general observation out of my own experience).

But don't get me wrong, being a film composer myself I'm totally supporting all these reuqests.
Old 04-02-2021, 09:53 AM   #21
Klangfarben

Just wanted to jump in here and say SMPTE locked markers would be incredibly helpful to have. In film/media composing, timecode is king so having a marker I know can't move from the specified SMPTE location would be a HUGE boon and timesaver. It also would save lives when doing conforms, preventing many untimely and unnecessary deaths in the film community. Ok, maybe not "many" but definitely more than one. Devs, you don't want anyone dying do you??
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 11:28 PM   #22
juliuskrakow

+1 from me too
juliuskrakow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 05:42 AM   #23
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
Just wanted to jump in here and say SMPTE locked markers would be incredibly helpful to have.
Is there a difference between locking markers to time with timebase=time and locking them to SMPTE?
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 06:05 AM   #24
juliansader

Quote:
I'm back to this topic: Reaper has everything you need for this.

The developer only must implement the Lock Position and Time and calculate the new tempo so set this Markers as shown above:

VIDEO: Here the Tempo Map example in Logic Pro X
https://youtu.be/JNebiTkCJUc?t=606

The examples in the video seem similar to REAPER's "Create measure from time selection (new time signature)".

The example in the image is more advanced, however, with a tempo *curve* instead of a constant bpm. I don't think that REAPER can easily do that natively.

Personally, I use a script to stretch tempo curves to precise time positions, and I uploaded it to ReaPack as "js_Stretch tempo markers to edit cursor". (Tempo scripts are tricky, so if you use this script, please double check that it worked OK.)
Old 05-01-2021, 06:23 AM   #25
juliansader

Quote:

Everything in this video seems to be standard REAPER stuff, using either SWS actions or REAPER's own mouse modifier functions for the tempo lane.

Or am I overlooking something?
Old 05-10-2021, 05:23 AM   #26
Roland-Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
Is there a difference between locking markers to time with timebase=time and locking them to SMPTE?

Okay, i have tried this - it sadly doesn't work with: SWS/BR: Move closest grid line to mouse cursor (perform until shortcut released). In the screenshot i moved Grid 3.1.0 to Marker 1 - the Marker 2 (and all the following) are now on the same time position but a different movie Frame (!) ....

You need timebase=beat and locking Marker to SMPTE.

Old 05-10-2021, 06:02 AM   #27
_Stevie_

Another solution would be the ability to specify a single marker as time or beat based.
So we wouldn’t need marker locking but would just have 2 different types of markers.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:45 AM   #28
Roland-Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Another solution would be the ability to specify a single marker as time or beat based.
So we wouldn’t need marker locking but would just have 2 different types of markers.
No, not needed - even figure it out - it works as follows:

Project Settings:
- Timebase for items/envelopes/markers: Time
- Timebase for tempo/Time Signature/envelope: Beat

Track Settings:

- Movie Track: Timebase: Time
- MIDI Tracks: Timebase: Project Timebase
- Project Lock Settings: Locking markers prevents you from changing (not even necessary)

change Tempo with:

- SWS/BR: Move closest measure grid line to edit cursor
or
- SWS/BR: Move closest grid line to mouse cursor (perform until shortcut released)

We only need a Time Ramp curve.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:19 AM   #29
Klangfarben

Quote:
No, not needed - even figure it out - it works as follows:

Project Settings:
- Timebase for items/envelopes/markers: Time
- Timebase for tempo/Time Signature/envelope: Beat

Track Settings:

- Movie Track: Timebase: Time
- MIDI Tracks: Timebase: Project Timebase
- Project Lock Settings: Locking markers prevents you from changing (not even necessary)

change Tempo with:

- SWS/BR: Move closest measure grid line to edit cursor
or
- SWS/BR: Move closest grid line to mouse cursor (perform until shortcut released)

We only need a Time Ramp curve.
Unfortunately this is not the case. For this to work, we actually need three things.

1) The ability to set individual markers to time or beats (not just set them all to one or the other in the project settings)

2) The ability to lock a marker to SMPTE timecode. Currently there is no way to hard lock even an item, let alone a marker so this is sorely needed

3) Once the above two are implemented, then yes, we would need an adjustable tempo ramp between markers. However, that in itself does not solve the issue unless we have the above marker options as well.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:21 AM   #30
_Stevie_

Quote:
1) The ability to set individual markers to time or beats (not just set them all to one or the other in the project settings)
That's exactly right. How would you be able to mix different kind of markers without that option? Time AND beat based markers. You can't be forced to make a choice for all your markers.
Old 05-12-2021, 04:30 AM   #31
Sugamen

I have the same problem and to be honest I don't want to tweak around soo much. I think they should put this feature up high on the to do list. I don't really want to switch back to logic.
Sugamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 05:09 PM   #32
juliansader

Quote:
Okay, i have tried this - it sadly doesn't work with: SWS/BR: Move closest grid line to mouse cursor (perform until shortcut released). In the screenshot i moved Grid 3.1.0 to Marker 1 - the Marker 2 (and all the following) are now on the same time position but a different movie Frame (!) ....
Was the movie item also set to timebase=time? If it was, the project markers should remain at the exact same frame.
Old 05-23-2021, 04:45 AM   #33
Roland-Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
Was the movie item also set to timebase=time? If it was, the project markers should remain at the exact same frame.

Yes, as i describe in Post #28 there is a workaround, if you set ALL to Time, but you can't set markers to Beat Timebase anymore in a Project, so it would easier to have individual Markers locked to SMPTE Option instead the complete project and also a Tempo Map / Tempo Editor for this.

Old 11-17-2021, 07:54 AM   #34
hotzmarino

Quote:
Unfortunately this is not the case. For this to work, we actually need three things.

2) The ability to lock a marker to SMPTE timecode. Currently there is no way to hard lock even an item, let alone a marker so this is sorely needed

3) Once the above two are implemented, then yes, we would need an adjustable tempo ramp between markers. However, that in itself does not solve the issue unless we have the above marker options as well.
Yes, I absolutely agree, +1!
hotzmarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 08:32 AM   #35
geoffroy

Totally !! +1
Old 02-08-2022, 10:07 PM   #36
jonnyjupiter

+1!

Just moved over from Logic as a media composer and this would definitely be my top request, right next to a tempo list. Setting markers to time works, but if I have to change the start time in relation to the video then there's absolutely no way to recover. So I'm sticking to take markers for now which is messy but gets the job done, still liking the rest of REAPER enough to stick with it. Hope to see this improved in the future!
jonnyjupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 02:46 AM   #37
bFooz

+ 1
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 09:20 PM   #38
liquidlino

+1 I've been watching youtubes of how cubase does this with time warp - and I really want to stay with reaper, but progressing now to starting to practise writing to picture, and its so hard without this feature.
liquidlino is online now   Reply With Quote