Old 06-06-2020, 02:04 AM   #1
Grace B
Human being with feelings

Default Microphone situation

Hi there,
I am a singer and I have recently decided to have a go with home recording with Reaper v6 (64bit). I have a box standard set up consisting of a G4M-Mc1 microphone, a Komplete Audio 1 interface and ASUS laptop updated with Windows 10. I’ve been following the Reaper youtube setup videos but have stumbled on a frustrating problem when recording- Reaper is not picking up my microphone. It recognises my Interface ASIO fine but to be sure I have uninstalled and reinstalled the interface software to see if this helps the problem. The input is set for Record: input (audio or MIDI), record monitoring is ON and I know to click the big red record button at the bottom to begin. Apart from the Komplete Interface (native instruments) software and Reaper, do I need to have additional software or am I missing something crucial here please within Reaper?
Any help would be gratefully received 
Thanks in advance x
Grace B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 03:14 AM   #2
Allybye

Must feel very frustrating.

First the very easy bit to see if all is well with mic and komplete, a few basic steps (have you fead quick start guide https://www.native-instruments.com/e...-1-quickstart/ ? To get familiar with sockets and controls? )

Start with mic/interface and ignore software for now but use powered laptop for interface (komplete) power. (Can also at this time usb an external usb power supply if desired instead of laptop)

Suggest connect mic to komplete via xlr cable to mic socket input one. Plug komplete usb cable into powered laptop via usb cable or power supply)

Mic needs the external phantom power 48v from the komplete. Is that light lit?

Next turn up mic gain whilst speaking into mic (or use another sound if mofe convenient). You should see audio level represented on the input one led level lights, if not turn up gain till bottom few leds light up.

Turn down headset gain, connect headset and turn gain up to half way.

Listen on headset. Set (balance) between input and host to half way then whilst speaking again turn up headset gain to a comfortable level. You should hear the sound.

All that should work straight off. If not a problem to be located.

If all fine only then move on to computer/software/Reaper setup.

Post back how things are so far.
Allybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:19 AM   #3
Alistair S

Try what's suggested above and then respond.

I suspect you are either not selecting the right input to the track you are recording or maybe you don't have phantom power (48V) turned on? Or you need to turn up the gain on your audio interface and set the level.

Can you hear yourself in your headphones (plugged into your audio interface) if you set everything up?
Alistair S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 03:45 AM   #4
Grace B

Default Thank you

Hello

Thank you both so much- the information you gave me worked a treat and it's all working fine now.

Happy days x
Grace B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:53 AM   #5
Allybye

Good news. Great you are up and running and posted back. Glad to help.

Would appreciate a sample of your singing, always good to hear others work.

Section of the forum specifically for that.
Allybye is offline   Reply With Quote