Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 02-16-2019, 09:18 AM   #1
bertom
Human being with feelings

Default Last things before switching from protools (post production)

Hi everyone, first post here!

So, for the context, i'm working regularly on editing/mixing sound for film and trying to evaluate if i could switch from protools to reaper which i love. But... after trying to mix two shorts lately, i discovered that reaper can be painful sometimes and that i was trying to force it to do things it was not designed to do... But i know how deep reaper can be and i would be very thankful if someone has tips! Oh, and i'm not a native english speaker (french), so let me know if i'm not clear enough. Here it is

Surround panning :

Having to use a surround panner plugin as an insert doesn't allow to send pre-pan, and it gets messy when i want to pan a send differently. I often need to send a track to a reverb aux with a completely different panning and to automate everything independently in surround.

The only solution i could think of was to put a reasurround on a bus with one "source channel" per track, and another one on the reverb aux. But it feels weird having to pan on the receiving tracks instead of the actual tracks. Not to mention how messy it becomes as more tracks are added, including stereo ones with linked parameters for the two channels. Does anyone know a better way? I guess some native track panning modes for surround would be great, and that they should be usable on sends too.

Example with LCR panning (linux gui, not my main pc):
>>> https://i.imgur.com/HS66p1S.png

Automations:

Is there a way to copy the current state of a plugin and paste it somewhere else timewise and/or on another instance? "Copy selected FX (include automation)" (right click in fx window) is not what i'm talking about. I need to copy the state at one point in time and write it at another as automations.
I've already find how to write to time selection while in latch preview using the action "Automation: Write current values for actively-writing envelopes to time selection". I just can't copy.
For exemple with an eq, i would like to put my cursor somewhere i want to copy the settings, open the eq, copy his state at this specific time, and write it to a time selection, or punch it while playing in latch etc... In fact, if there was a way to "touch" every parameter of an FX while in latch preview, it should do the trick, but i didn't find a way to do it (a script maybe?).

Here is a video i found on youtube showing lots of automation things i'm used to do in protools and, as far as i know, can't do in reaper (starts at 10min46) :
https://youtu.be/nI9NYG9PqI8?t=646

Hoping someone here has already found some workarounds.
Anyway, many thanks in advance for your time

Tom.

Last edited by bertom; 02-16-2019 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Bad english?
bertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 10:53 AM   #2
ashcat_lt

I'm not sure this helps, but you can use extra track channels to route around plugins on your way to your sends. Heck, you could have a second instance RS on your track, with its output sending to a second set of channels which go to your aux tracks.

I wonder if automation items could help you with the other thing, but I'm also kind of hoping somebody else has a better idea because I'm having trouble finding an actually comfortable workflow for a lot of automation tasks.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:24 AM   #3
bertom

Thanks ashcat! Yes, i tested the setup you suggested for surround. It works, but, while working more on it this morning, i found another interesting solution : controlling reasurround from the sending track by sending midi CC to the aux, one midi channel per sending track, one midi bus per aux. I modified some jsfx to make one that generates midi CC, and selects midi bus and channel. Then it's just a matter of linking reasurround parameters. I will need to give it a try on a real mix. If it works well i'll post the fx somewhere i guess, but for now i think my first problem is solved. woohoo
https://i.imgur.com/GPJ95DP.png

About the automation things, i'll definitely have to look more closely at what automation items can do, i'm not up to date at all with it. I have no idea how it could help though.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:19 AM   #4
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertom View Post
About the automation things, i'll definitely have to look more closely at what automation items can do, i'm not up to date at all with it. I have no idea how it could help though.
I guess I was thinking you could write your values to automation into items in one spot and then copy those to other places. I'm not sure that's exactly what you're looking for, but maybe it could help some?
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:19 AM   #5
babag

isn't there still a problem with surround panning? for example, in panning from front left to rear right you go through the center of the room. reasurround drops the sound out as it goes through the center of the room, or it did, whereas the expected behavior would be to maintain level through the center of the room. is that no longer the case?
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:56 AM   #6
bertom

Yep! Reasurround lacks some "speaker diffusion shapes" to have a standard 5.1 panner (the same as protools i mean). What i do to approximate is reducing "Y depth" so front and rear overlap. Then i add a rear center speaker which i route to the Ls and Rs outputs :
https://i.imgur.com/wzGjrB8.png
To emulate it exactly, 2 reasurround would be needed, one for front and one for rear. Front/rear panning would be balancing between the two.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:15 PM   #7
babag

i think they should just fix it.
babag is offline   Reply With Quote