Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 02-12-2019, 09:11 PM   #1
palmeirense
Human being with feelings

Default Is this mic stand broken?

Obviously a newb question but can you tell me based on the pictures below whether my mic stand height adjustment can be fixed (it currently won't lock) or if I need to get a new stand? All the other adjustments are working fine
I have an extra ring and not sure if it can be used for something

https://imgur.com/a/Xy4YBnW

Thanks!
palmeirense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:16 AM   #2
ivansc

Worst case would be if it is the screw-down tightener/locker bit that has cracked & will no longer lock onto the two tubes.

even that is fixable. I have a mic stand that I was given & looks very much like yours. The clutch but (screw-down tightener) is made up of a plastic clamp with a solid brass screw section glued to the inside, which is the bit that does the actual locking. I just put some impact glue between the brass bit & the plastic bit & then tightened the plastic bit down by taping it up as tight as it would go with gaffer tape. Combination of glue and gaffer has left it adjustable & still locking for a year or so. Keep meaning to buy another stand but I like this one...

BUT I would not recommend this for studio use, especially if you are using an expensive mic. Fine for live though.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:59 PM   #3
palmeirense

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Worst case would be if it is the screw-down tightener/locker bit that has cracked & will no longer lock onto the two tubes.

even that is fixable. I have a mic stand that I was given & looks very much like yours. The clutch but (screw-down tightener) is made up of a plastic clamp with a solid brass screw section glued to the inside, which is the bit that does the actual locking. I just put some impact glue between the brass bit & the plastic bit & then tightened the plastic bit down by taping it up as tight as it would go with gaffer tape. Combination of glue and gaffer has left it adjustable & still locking for a year or so. Keep meaning to buy another stand but I like this one...

BUT I would not recommend this for studio use, especially if you are using an expensive mic. Fine for live though.
yeah fair enough, thank you for your reply.
I think i'll just end up buying a new one in this case
palmeirense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:37 AM   #4
ivansc

If you were in the UK I would be asking if I could have the broken one for spare parts!!!