Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 02-15-2019, 05:17 AM   #241
Bri1
Banned

@sai'ke__> dude_your amayyzing =)
many thanx for considering anything..
will give filther another blast when seeing new update- basically if i find anything atmo = kinda just quit the plug and move on to something else..
re: reset: yes,without any mods- try switching stereo modes as a user might(with an active filther) =output goes to 0 <here> atmo.
re: key tracking: as some types can not be tracked by your posting instruct- is it doossible to label types that can track with a "trk" tag,or something to make that more obvious for users?
re: screen resolutions: i run native monitor defaults of 1360/768- some jsfx go completely offscreen currently..as some will not scale overall dimensions..

totally accepting this is a wip!! i make no statements of haste or waste towards anything really - and expect perfection as a bare minimum (it's that goal we are all interested in!)
btw- the output clip function-- is this working for everybody?
roll on more awesumz...cheerz.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:02 AM   #242
Eliseat
Human being with feelings

Hi Sai'ke,

I have some new ideas and/or optimizations.

- Several times I was unable to grab a WS point because it was near or behind the preset list. Wouldn't it make more sense to change the list into a drop down list like the LFO modes?

- If you turn the LFO timing to Tempo you can't snap to 2 measures. It jumps from 3/8 to 3.

- Would it be to much work to allow drop down list scroll wheel support? This feels kind of intuitive for me, but I don't know if you and others also think so.

- And even more decadent: Would it be possible to allow stopping the GUI animations. Just a tiny tick (double click?) to stop the updating (only showing the last picture)? This maybe could help users with performance issues like me. But not sure about that.

- If I create some videos, could you upload them to Youtube for me? As I don't like or support google anymore this would be better then posting them on my mega.nz account, as long as iframes aren't supported in this forums.

So beside that I just want to give some more feedback where I reach the limits in Filther. Firstly I can't take Filther as a plain filter plugin anymore. If you use it with a steady source like a synth on the same amp output level you get the best results AND it shows up like a real instrument.
As you considered to maybe once create a synth, this would be easy with Filther as a frame. Adding two OSCs and some more level, pan and modulation possibilities could do the change from an effect plugin to an instrument. This of course shouldn't be done in JSFX as it suffers from its limitations.

And here I really suffer too because a second LFO would be a creative explosion for Filther. I can't count how often I thought: damn, another LFO to make a long sweep over some short rhythms would be "bombe". The same with separate LFO/DYN buttons for cutoff and resonance. This would allow even more sophisticated presets. Also a more precise envelope with an ADSR like setting is badly missed. I just see how much potential this beast has and can't stop pushing it to the limits. But again, don't feel under pressure because of such whiny comments. We all know how the JSFX limits take action here.

So, I hope that's not to much feedback. Sometimes I feel a bit ashamed to bother you with all the little in-adequateness.

Greetings to you and Nemo (?). And many thanks to him for coding Filther so nicely.

Eli

Last edited by Eliseat; 02-15-2019 at 11:18 AM.
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:44 AM   #243
Eliseat

Respective the narsty filter (can't spell it so I always read nazi filter ) I kind of managed to recreate the preset. But I'm pretty sure this change didn't happen 4 month ago as I had this preset working when I posted my presets here in the forum. The preset I mean is called DarkRoomExperience (don't ask why) and had a very soft resonating overtone and hard bass distortion. It is now only crackling without any changes on my side. The source level is the same, the source waveform and note also. Have no idea what happened.

Greetings
Eli
Old 02-15-2019, 09:03 PM   #244
TonE

What is the cheapest, at cpu cost, and best sounding lp filther? What to take/try bestly? Why I am asking? I could use this setting combination kind of as a default when creating a new track with a filther behind it. So just imagine you have a few tracks, like 4, with synth1 and behind each a filther. So which filther setting is recommended? Best sounding cheap-cpu filther is wanted.

Is there any testing tool like:
-keep n parameters constant
-vary 1 parameter, e.g. used filther model
-write down cpu consumption of fx as .csv
-so you could compare in excel like tools

Nice tune, sounded even interesting on cheap laptop speakers, then took some better headphone, unfortunately not enough bass, but ok, filther, but you wrote in your comments, it was a quick production. Great job. Ravey, old-school, flying trance-gate even built in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q56vPjdfOVI
For all who are wondering why saike is such a genius coder, generous, wonderful person, like coming from another planet, just need to read the description in that tune. My brain is hurting after reading it. One hammer sentence after another.

Last edited by TonE; 02-15-2019 at 09:24 PM.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:37 AM   #245
foxAsteria

Hey Sai'ke, out of curiosity, what's the new job?
Old 02-16-2019, 12:41 AM   #246
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
What is the cheapest, at cpu cost, and best sounding lp filther?
I always go for the nl Kr0gs. Or go with the linear ones for some CPU savings. I don't find them too bad on CPU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
My brain is hurting after reading it
Quote:
The game will be a 2D shoot em up, with various weapons; where the gimmick is that the whole game plays out in a fluid. The fluid is supposed to add some visual appeal, as well as factor in the gameplay (certain projectiles are carried by fluid and the player has the ability to affect the fluid). Pickups, such as scrap from enemies count as score. The fluid is based on a fixed-timestep numerical approximation of the Navier Stokes equation, using a 2nd order MacCormack scheme for advection. Partial, but controlled incompressibility (to make it look more 3D) is attained by using the projection method to obtain a divergence free field and diffusion is implicitly solved. Implicit steps are solved iteratively making use of a checkerboard Gauss-Seidel updating scheme on the GPU, using successive over-relaxation to ensure efficiency. Vorticity confinement is used as an approximate correction for diffusive losses in the simulation. Explosions are modelled by adding both additional vorticity to the local solution as well as a local pressure increase and smoke as the fuel is consumed. Broadphase collision detection is handled using a spatial hash as a gating method, while the narrowphase is handled using the separated axis theorem. Here, last hit triangles are cached to ensure efficiency upon continuous collisions. Triangle meshes are computed using a marching squares algorithm to find sprite outlines, followed by Ramer-Douglas-Peucker to simplify the edge, and approximate delaunay tesselation (using the sweep-line algorithm by Domiter et al.). Triangle meshes are cleaned up using the Clipper polygon clipping library. Shading is deferred and makes use of normal maps; appropriately brought into the object's tangent space. As a shading model, I implemented the Cook-Torrance model for specular reflection with Schlick's Fresnel approximation and the GGX microfacet model for surface roughness. Damage decal colors and normals are rendered to an offscreen texture buffer which is sampled when compositing the individual ships (for scorchmarks, holes and dents). Real time reflections are approximated by sampling outward into the scene based on the surface normals. Radiosity onto the fluid is approximated using a multi-tap blur of the additive lighting component and mixing it with the fluids diffuse component. Solid bullet trails are rendered using a filtered version of the trajectory; which is stored in a circular buffer and operates entirely in screen space to save CPU on transforms. The filter used is a 9 tap Savitsky-Golay filter to approximate both position and velocity (since the velocity is required to find the trajectory tangent). The gameplay so far is scripted in lua, using the LuaJIT library and luabridge as a C++ wrapper. 'Real time', callbacks from the main engine are handled asynchronously to avoid all computational load falling on a single frame. All other callbacks (collisions and such) are dealt with on the next frame. I plan to keep the script files unencrypted, to facilitate easy modding. The engine so far is written in C++ using GLFW, OpenGL, Clipper, Freetype, FreeImage, Lua, Luabridge and FMOD.
You can read that? And who wrote it, now?

Last edited by foxAsteria; 02-16-2019 at 12:56 AM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 04:43 PM   #247
sai'ke

Changelog:
+ Added King of Tone pedal.
+ Added proper minimum for waspey linear and pwm potato filters.
+ Added default for the spline y at 1.0.
+ Remove safety from narsty.
+ Improve antialiasing goniometer.
+ Mirror goniometer over XY to be compatible with other goniometers.
+ Increase line thickness waveshaper.
+ Allow waveshaper nodes to be grabbed by digits.
+ Split filters out over four columns to not exceed plugin size limits.
+ Allow last focused combobox to be manipulated with mousewheel.
+ Fix spline issue when extrapolating to extreme values (clamp last derivative to max/min)
+ Change waveshaper selection to combobox
+ Added MIDI compatibility for keyboards that send a note on with velocity zero as note off.
+ Added modulon filter.
+ Added 2 measure length for LFO.

@Eliseat;
I investigated that preset. The issue wasn't in narsty. It was in the nodes in that preset being vertically above each-other at both ends of the waveshaper. I added something that should avoid this issue (limiting the derivative at the end of the spline).

I don't have the free time required to turn it into a fully fledged synth as porting it to another language would pretty much mean starting from scratch. I did some of the other fixes though. As for another lfo, another 64 sliders would go a long way, but alas, we don't have them.

I would also have liked an ADSR.

And sure, I can upload it.

@Tone/Fox;
Filther can be pretty heavy on the CPU. Leave oversampling on a low setting if this bothers you. FYI, in the repo I also released a standalone version of the Kr0g filters called MS-20. It's cheaper than using it in Filther. There's also an antialiased saturator in there called Tanh Saturation with anti aliasing if you just want some saturation bloat.

@Fox;
New job isn't settled yet.

@Bri1;
I also fixed some of the issues you mentioned. I could not reproduce the stereo thing you mentioned. Do you have a specific filter I could try where this happens?

@vdubreeze;
The issue with the filters going offscreen should be fixed now (spread out over more columns)

Last edited by sai'ke; 02-16-2019 at 05:03 PM.
sai'ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:06 PM   #248
Bri1
Banned

thanx! -but= :/

+ nice touch with the drop down menu- but this creates a new 'problem'- try moving a spline to that area--can happen now with randomizing stuff like this.. ok

moving on.. sorry to report- prefere mogwai to gremlin though..
Old 02-16-2019, 05:56 PM   #249
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
thanx! -but= :/
+ nice touch with the drop down menu- but this creates a new 'problem'- try moving a spline to that area--can happen now with randomizing stuff like this.. ok

moving on.. sorry to report- prefere mogwai to gremlin though..
What? Could you be a bit more descriptive about what happens when you drag a spline to the combo box? Do you mean the negative values? That has nothing to do with the combo box and this has just been fixed. It was a side effect from allowing splines to be dragged by pulling the numbers

Changelog:
+ Clip shaper coordinate against window edge (prevents exceeding shaper window).

Last edited by sai'ke; 02-16-2019 at 06:37 PM. Reason: changelog
Old 02-17-2019, 04:37 AM   #250
Eliseat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai'ke View Post
Changelog:

@Eliseat;
I investigated that preset. The issue wasn't in narsty. It was in the nodes in that preset being vertically above each-other at both ends of the waveshaper. I added something that should avoid this issue (limiting the derivative at the end of the spline).

I don't have the free time required to turn it into a fully fledged synth as porting it to another language would pretty much mean starting from scratch. I did some of the other fixes though. As for another lfo, another 64 sliders would go a long way, but alas, we don't have them.

I would also have liked an ADSR.

And sure, I can upload it.
Didn't mean to lure you into a new synth project. I just wanted to point out (as you mentioned somewhere a synth) that if you - once in the (far) future - want to build a synth it would be a cool concept to implement Filther's WS-filter abilities. It allows so many sound colors. Really amazing. At least for basses.

The narsty preset works again. Thanks for that.

And the only thing that keeps me off from creating some sound example videos is that I have no idea of how to manage the preset changes in automation. Some users pointed me to .reabank files which could be loaded into the program change lane of the MIDI editor or into the JS MIDI tool. But writing all those presets manually into a txt file would be even stupider than writing them down on a sheet and selecting them on the fly.

Had no idea that something so simple isn't implemented in the MIDI workflow a bit easier. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I could go thru all presets but ... there are so many. And you know they never fit all into a certain tempo or theme. Would be a waste of time.

The instabilities on my system drive me crazy. The last days it worked just fine. No preset used more than 5%. But today I just updated to the new version and it went crazy. The problem is, there is no pattern. It happens randomly. Also my browser sometimes crashes to black screen if it has to manage to many images. It seems that my on board graphics card is broken.

So I can't be a good help to point you to issues in that case.

Greetings
Eli

Edit: And I forgot to mention: Many thanks for the drop down ws list. This is much better in my opinion.(✿´‿`)
Old 02-17-2019, 04:58 AM   #251
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post
And the only thing that keeps me off from creating some sound example videos is that I have no idea of how to manage the preset changes in automation. Some users pointed me to .reabank files which could be loaded into the program change lane of the MIDI editor or into the JS MIDI tool. But writing all those presets manually into a txt file would be even stupider than writing them down on a sheet and selecting them on the fly.
Ah yes, I can help with that.

Update to 1.95 (just uploaded). Enable all parameter envelopes on the arrange view. Then click one of them with the outer mouse button and set the mode to touch. Now, make sure you have filther selected. If you now hit SHIFT + P, Filther will emit all its settings to the timeline. You don't have to be in recording mode for this.

Sorry to hear about your computer woes. Do you notice that it is significantly worse with Filther? I forgot to add that graphics locking feature.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:23 AM   #252
Eliseat

Thanks Sai'ke,

but this doesn't allow to choose presets afterwards because the values from the default envelopes have a higher priority. Or am I doing it wrong?
Old 02-17-2019, 06:48 AM   #253
sai'ke

Quote:
Thanks Sai'ke,

but this doesn't allow to choose presets afterwards because the values from the default envelopes have a higher priority. Or am I doing it wrong?
Sorry, set the channels to write. Seems that that way you don't even need shift + p

Since the UI changed quite a lot, I also added a small new tutorial to the first post. Although it is painfully apparent that I never do videos like this

Last edited by sai'ke; 02-17-2019 at 07:10 AM. Reason: tutorial
Old 02-17-2019, 07:15 AM   #254
Bri1
Banned

honeybadger.
+
kung fu bear.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:22 AM   #255
Eliseat

Bri ???

Thanks Sai'ke,

this could work. Though I guess/hear it will create bad transitions (maybe because the ms points are not in the right order. idk). I will try it with square interpolation tomorrow. But for today I'm done with Reaper. Can't believe that such a simple task ...

Anyway. I'm pretty upset at the moment because it is so stupid being unable to automate preset changes as simple as everything else in Reaper. Really frustrating.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:35 AM   #256
sai'ke

Ah, sorry to hear that :/

I mean, don't feel obliged. We could also include your preset pack to the front page if you want
Old 02-18-2019, 06:29 AM   #257
Eliseat

No, I don't give up so easily.

As I made my research I came to the conclusion that a good old pen and a sheet of paper are way more efficient as Reapers program change handling. That's really embarrassing. And I felt better when I didn't know anything about it because it gave Reaper a more professional image.

Only thing I want to do is showing how cool Filther works as a pseudy bass synth for different genres. And I will find a way to do this in an acceptable level of quality.

So, I now will take a look at the new modulo. As there is no description for it. What does it do?
Old 02-18-2019, 09:41 AM   #258
sai'ke

Modusomething is some ring modulation stuff. Can sound good with keytracking set to one, but can also sound horribly dissonant.

The more interesting one is the king of tone, which is a model of a guitar pedal. It's more geared towards acoustic rather than synth sounds though.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:51 PM   #259
sai'ke

1.97 brings Automatic Gain Control to protect your poor ears (little AGC button next to MASTER).

It works like this:
The automatic gain controller constantly tries to keep the RMS ratio:

post filters
------------
post pre-gain

at 1. If it's higher than a certain value, the automatic gain correction is lowered. If it's lower then it gets increased. This with some hysteresis so that it doesn't wobble too much. Of course, this is only a one sided protection, since a very sudden burst can still wipe out your ears.

This is why there is a second mechanism in the AGC, which is that any signal louder than the RMS of a short section gets saturated using a tanh function.

The saturation function then is:
out = limit + tanh(out-limit) if out > limit
out = - limit + tanh(out+limit) if out < -limit

This clips out of bounds signals fairly gracefully as it is at least C0 continuous.

I tested it with some drum loops and synths to try and get the timescales right, but it may require some further tuning. For now, treat this functionality as BETA. Note that it is not intended to keep it activated on the track as it may affect dynamics. It's merely for the tuning stage.

Changelog 1.98:
- Re the last point, outer mouse button on AGC now transfers the correction estimated by the AGC to the post-gain. This is recommended once you have honed in on the setting you want to use for your prod.

Changelog 1.99:
- Store last value for the automatic gain control to prevent bursts upon seeking.

Last edited by sai'ke; 02-18-2019 at 03:59 PM. Reason: 1.98 update, 1.99 update
Old 02-18-2019, 04:30 PM   #260
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
1.97 brings...
Changelog 1.98:
Changelog 1.99:

woooaaah- you move so swiftly sifu- but now your going supersonic matrix style.. heh-- will try new v. as soon as=thanx!
suggestion from last v: would it not make more sense moving the spline dropdown menu now moved totally out of the graph area--maybe above? folding out to 1 side>?
also last time i tried i think 1 of the hp filters was acting rather like a lp? -- will recheck later and give notice of any changes-- many tanhx! tanhks! thanks!

oh+ could there be the abilty to switch waveshapers? like neg 1spline+ pos 1tanh? or viceversa?
Old 02-18-2019, 08:42 PM   #261
mawi

Great plugin and great updates. The AGC isn't working properly yet, but it's still beta. Maybe even bigger handles in the spline line would make sense? I hardly see them in the thick line. Although, I can also use the numbers as handles.
mawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:52 AM   #262
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawi View Post
Great plugin and great updates. The AGC isn't working properly yet, but it's still beta. Maybe even bigger handles in the spline line would make sense? I hardly see them in the thick line. Although, I can also use the numbers as handles.
Thanks! Could you tell me what about the AGC isn't behaving as expected?

I mean, by design, a short peak of about 3-5 dB can still come through and the response time is on the slow side on purpose; since I don't want it to be ducking and raising constantly when used on a beat or sound with lots of sharp transients. This tradeoff is tricky and I don't have another slider at my disposal for adding a tweakable response time.

It's possible though that it behaves unexpectedly in some scenarios that I didn't foresee.

The bigger handles are added to the to-do list.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:54 AM   #263
Cosmic

This thing is absolutely incredible.I can't get over the noise it makes.Thank you
Old 02-19-2019, 07:33 AM   #264
Sju

Didn't have much time to test, but that AGC seems to work pretty well! Great addition, as the output is usually all over the place when tweaking the parameters.
Sju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:54 AM   #265
Eliseat

Holy ****!

I can't follow with testing all those updates.

Modulo => really sexy!

Found something new: If the boundaries of the LFO are reached - or in better words - if the LFO gets outside the slider range, it creates a click sound every time. This even (or especially) happens if no sound input takes place. (Just create a sin LFO, turn it to amount 4 and set it in a large amount to one parameter so it gets outside the slider range.)

Your new tutorial video has something hypnotizing. Like in a dystopian movie with a voice manipulating all minds in every open place. Do you already plan your Filther empire where in the future everyone has to listen to the hidden massages of a self aware filter plugin?

Okay, just joking. But beside that I guess it covers every important aspect of Filther so far. Were you laughing while trying the legato mode? Seems like so. And I have to confess I also never tried it out.

And my user name ... yeah, this is just stupid random because I never planned to stay in this forum. My first name choice wasn't available, or my browser made trouble. I don't remember. So I just took the first part of my name and hit some letters to get thru. I know, I know. It makes no sense at all.

And last but not least: I have really trouble with Filther at the moment. The CPU spikes were gone for a while. Now they happen again every time I use it. So one thing is, I had some presets with LookAhead on. This happened because I copied some old presets without noticing it. I turned it off in every preset now. But if the actual version of Filther keeps making trouble, would you be so kind to send me the version before Modulo? Just for testing, if its version dependent.

Last edited by Eliseat; 02-19-2019 at 08:01 AM.
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:51 AM   #266
Bri1
Banned

heh-filther was born into the matrix as a violent teenager..and has not only grown in size_but also matures quicker than the aging process itself..
finding some lurkers..but as there is a well beyond top secret to_do list.. 1 waits.patiently,while making noises..and studying the effects.. =)
such as..: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yx...H4hek-kaD_qj90
Old 02-19-2019, 10:52 AM   #267
Eliseat

So you don't using Filther for weird sounds but for drawing weird shapes? Hm, that's the beginning. Filther uses its AI to control peoples minds. Take care, Bri1! This is just the beginning.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:31 AM   #268
mawi

Quote:
Thanks! Could you tell me what about the AGC isn't behaving as expected?

I mean, by design, a short peak of about 3-5 dB can still come through and the response time is on the slow side on purpose; since I don't want it to be ducking and raising constantly when used on a beat or sound with lots of sharp transients. This tradeoff is tricky and I don't have another slider at my disposal for adding a tweakable response time.

It's possible though that it behaves unexpectedly in some scenarios that I didn't foresee.

The bigger handles are added to the to-do list.
I only tested it briefly yesterday by trying some presets. Some presets had a big jump in loudness. Sometimes only short peak jumps. Today I tested a little more without presets and the AGC worked quite well.
mawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 02:18 PM   #269
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
So you don't using Filther for weird sounds but for drawing weird shapes?

lolz-doh no-the visual shapes are just a bonus.. created only using filther=experimental mode engaged.
resonance is a heckova beast to tame sometimes..-it can really bite like a honeybadger,or gremlin might.
tesla knew 1 of the keys,was,resonance.so do others.
the q-the cut-- there is also a distinction between circular motions-and angular sonic velocities,over time.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:21 PM   #270
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
This thing is absolutely incredible.I can't get over the noise it makes.Thank you
Thanks! So is your avatar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sju View Post
Didn't have much time to test, but that AGC seems to work pretty well! Great addition, as the output is usually all over the place when tweaking the parameters.
Glad it helps. Remember, you can transfer the estimated gain to the post slider with outer mouse button whenever needed.

Quote:
Found something new: If the boundaries of the LFO are reached - or in better words - if the LFO gets outside the slider range, it creates a click sound every time. This even (or especially) happens if no sound input takes place. (Just create a sin LFO, turn it to amount 4 and set it in a large amount to one parameter so it gets outside the slider range.)
I can't seem to reproduce this. I've tried a few filters. Do you have a preset that you can share with me?

Quote:
Your new tutorial video has something hypnotizing. Like in a dystopian movie with a voice manipulating all minds in every open place. Do you already plan your Filther empire where in the future everyone has to listen to the hidden massages of a self aware filter plugin?
Actually, that's just my "I have a cold" voice
I'll make sure to apply if they ever start casting for big brother.

Quote:
Okay, just joking. But beside that I guess it covers every important aspect of Filther so far. Were you laughing while trying the legato mode? Seems like so. And I have to confess I also never tried it out.
Yes, but because it was not working @_@. It had missed a note-off. Which reminds me, I should add a midi panic button.

Quote:
And last but not least: I have really trouble with Filther at the moment. The CPU spikes were gone for a while. Now they happen again every time I use it. So one thing is, I had some presets with LookAhead on. This happened because I copied some old presets without noticing it. I turned it off in every preset now. But if the actual version of Filther keeps making trouble, would you be so kind to send me the version before Modulo? Just for testing, if its version dependent.
Try hitting SHIFT + G in 2.00. I added a spartan graphics mode that does less rendering (no more spectrum and gonio). See if it helps.
I have also added a few direct links to previous versions if you want.
Version prior to King of Tone en Modulon: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Jo...r/Filther.jsfx
Version before gonio and spectrum: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Jo...r/Filther.jsfx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
heh-filther was born into the matrix as a violent teenager..and has not only grown in size_but also matures quicker than the aging process itself..
finding some lurkers..but as there is a well beyond top secret to_do list.. 1 waits.patiently,while making noises..and studying the effects.. =)
such as..: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yx...H4hek-kaD_qj90
Cool GIF man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawi View Post
I only tested it briefly yesterday by trying some presets. Some presets had a big jump in loudness. Sometimes only short peak jumps. Today I tested a little more without presets and the AGC worked quite well.
Ah okay. Well, it may be tweaked more in the future, have to see. I did make the nodes bigger in 2.00 though!
Old 02-19-2019, 04:15 PM   #271
foxAsteria

AGC works great!! If possible I think it should be automatically turned on when using randomize shortcuts and then back off if it's off. I'll never remember to turn it on and off when I should, so it would be lovely if it just worked behind the scenes.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:39 PM   #272
kneipp123

sorry if this is off topic, but what skin is this saike?

https://i.imgur.com/WhRrUaf.png
kneipp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:40 AM   #273
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneipp123 View Post
sorry if this is off topic, but what skin is this saike?

https://i.imgur.com/WhRrUaf.png
This one: https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/522/lf_origin_1.00.zip
Old 02-20-2019, 06:42 AM   #274
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
AGC works great!! If possible I think it should be automatically turned on when using randomize shortcuts and then back off if it's off. I'll never remember to turn it on and off when I should, so it would be lovely if it just worked behind the scenes.
That's a great idea. I could even initialize it at a very low value when randomizing, so that it finds a decent volume from the bottom rather than from the current value (which may be super high for the given randomized preset).
Old 02-20-2019, 01:01 PM   #275
sai'ke

Small update. Added a little octaver (clip is dry/wet/dry/wet):
https://instaud.io/3koc

Intended only for monophonic sounds of course
Old 02-20-2019, 01:43 PM   #276
foxAsteria

Quote:
That's a great idea. I could even initialize it at a very low value when randomizing, so that it finds a decent volume from the bottom rather than from the current value (which may be super high for the given randomized preset).
Fortune! Ok so if that's possible, do you think such a feature makes sense to also use when manually switching certain toggle buttons and filter types? These are the only times I'm noticing bad spikes. I guess there may be reasons to keep AGC on when adjusting sliders and other controls, so maybe the current button could be an auto-override (the auto function returns it to override state when done)?

Only issue I see with that is preventing those volume drops when switching presets with AGC off, unless this method makes them even shorter.

It's been said a bunch already, but it's just so cool how this filthy madness is turning out! Seriously, most fun I've had with filters maybe ever! Really diggin the Monstro! Thank you thank you thank you!
Old 02-20-2019, 02:53 PM   #277
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Fortune! Ok so if that's possible, do you think such a feature makes sense to also use when manually switching certain toggle buttons and filter types? These are the only times I'm noticing bad spikes. I guess there may be reasons to keep AGC on when adjusting sliders and other controls, so maybe the current button could be an auto-override (the auto function returns it to override state when done)?

Only issue I see with that is preventing those volume drops when switching presets with AGC off, unless this method makes them even shorter.

It's been said a bunch already, but it's just so cool how this filthy madness is turning out! Seriously, most fun I've had with filters maybe ever! Really diggin the Monstro! Thank you thank you thank you!
Glad you like it, but hmmm, this requires some thought.

When hitting randomize, it would be possible to set AGC on automatically. Then wait a preset amount of time (or until AGC level stabilizes) and switch it off again, transferring the estimated gain to the post-gain. There I see no problem and only advantages. But doing this for switching presets sounds problematic, since if you're flipping back and forth between filters, you probably don't want stuff to overwrite your post-gain slider. If you turn AGC off without passing the estimate to the post-gain, you get a volume difference again.

Personally, I keep AGC on while tweaking and finding the sound I want/need. Then I hit outer mouse button on it to transfer the gain setting it found to my post gain. This also disables it. This is how I would also recommend using it.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:22 PM   #278
foxAsteria

Quote:
But doing this for switching presets sounds problematic...

Personally, I keep AGC on while tweaking and finding the sound I want/need. Then I hit outer mouse button on it to transfer the gain setting it found to my post gain. This also disables it. This is how I would also recommend using it.
Ok yea I figured it might not work for presets. But the right click thingy is nice, I didn't realize that (guess I coulda read the tooltip...).
Old 02-21-2019, 02:10 AM   #279
Eliseat

Sai'ke, it really seems that the LookAhead function made the trouble. I disabled it in all presets and now it works way better. But it also could be part of a random misbehavior of my system. I will see if it stays stable in the next days.

Octaver. Hm, sounds interesting.

And the clicking preset gets sent to you when I find it next time.

Greetings
Old 02-21-2019, 02:40 AM   #280
Eliseat

Had a short test with the new Octaver. It allows very dissonant, mostly destroyed basses without any source key. Which means they are perfect for techno/house where in some subgenres only a deep (off beat) rumbling shows up. Very nice! And lots of new possibilities.

But Modulon stays my darling because I love ringing as much as filtering. Both together - metallic ringing and filtering - creating a wide spectrum of very technical sounds. I love it!

Many thanks, Sai'ke.

(But the new AutoGain function didn't find its way into my workflow yet. I also often use the out level modulation (to be honest, I use it all the time) and I have no idea if these two dance well together.)