Old 10-13-2018, 12:55 AM   #1
synkrotron
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper 5 default theme envelope colour

Hi Peeps,

I am still learning Reaper, referencing the manual and systematically working my way through the KG Reaper 5 Explained videos.

I want to change the colours of my automation envelopes. The colours appear to be randomly set and I cannot find a way of changing them.

I have skimmed through chapter 18 of the user guide, using the search facility for the word "color" and there is no mention of how to set or change envelope colour.

I have also googled "reaper envelope color" which hasn't helped.

Am I flogging a dead horse here?

cheers

andy
Old 10-13-2018, 01:30 AM   #2
cubic13

The envelope colors are theme dependent. If you want to change them, you have to, for a given theme :

1) open the 'Theme development/tweaker' window (action #41930, "Theme development: Show theme tweak/configuration window").

2) set the different envelope color settings available in it : they are near the second third of the list.

3) As the colors are changed for each theme, be sure to save the changes you have done with the 'Save theme...' button : this will create a new .ReaperTheme file in the \ColorThemes subfolder of your Reaper installation. The settings included in it will override the ones that are in the initial .ReaperThemeZip file of the involved theme.

HTWH...
cubic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 02:00 AM   #3
synkrotron

Hi Marc (I'm assuming that is you, apologies if not)

I have had a look at that and, in the main, for common envelopes like volume and pan per track then this would work.

Unfortunately it doesn't work so well when creating envelopes for sends.

For instance, I have a buss for Adaptiverb and I send a number of tracks to this buss and I use automation on each track to vary the send level over time.

It is a bit hit and miss as to which colour it uses.

Also, if I have another buss that I send to, they use the same (two) colours.

What I would like to do is see the same colour for each buss. So, for example, if I have a buss for Adaptiverb and another buss for MGranularMB then I would like all of the send automation envelopes to the Adaptiverb buss to be blue and then send automation envelopes to the MGranularMB buss to be red, on all tracks.

This is how I was able to work in both SONAR and Studio One and I found that quite handy. But SONAR is no more and Studio One doesn't handle high DPI screens...

Oh well, I guess I will have to get used to what I have here.

cheers, and thanks,

andy
Old 10-13-2018, 03:37 AM   #4
cubic13

Quote:
Originally Posted by synkrotron View Post
Hi Marc (I'm assuming that is you, apologies if not)
I'm not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by synkrotron View Post
Unfortunately it doesn't work so well when creating envelopes for sends.

For instance, I have a buss for Adaptiverb and I send a number of tracks to this buss and I use automation on each track to vary the send level over time.

It is a bit hit and miss as to which colour it uses.

Also, if I have another buss that I send to, they use the same (two) colours.

What I would like to do is see the same colour for each buss. So, for example, if I have a buss for Adaptiverb and another buss for MGranularMB then I would like all of the send automation envelopes to the Adaptiverb buss to be blue and then send automation envelopes to the MGranularMB buss to be red, on all tracks.
There are 5 different 'send' colors available :
- 'Send volume'
- 'Send pan'
- 'Send volume 2'
- 'Send pan 2'
- 'Send mute'

These settings are the same whatever the tracks involved. Sure, it could be sometimes useful to set different colors for each track/buss, but the fact is that we cannot color a 'send volume' automation lane as wished beside the ones listed above, AFAIK. There are still two different colors for 'send volume', though, even if the colors used for different tracks will probably not be the same for a given 'send' destination.

Sorry not being able to help more...

Last edited by cubic13; 10-13-2018 at 03:43 AM.
cubic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 03:53 AM   #5
synkrotron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubic13 View Post
I'm not...
Haha! Okay, it was a 50/50 chance

Re the colours, I've given up and will just have to stick with what I have. Reaper, at the moment, is still the best solution for me and my Surface Pro.

cheers