I know.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 04:19 AM   #82
airon
Human being with feelings

But now ...

Preview mode is upon us ladies and gentlemen, in the guise of

Latch Preview automation mode.

Go check it out in the Pre-Release forum section to grab&test the release and join the discussion.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:25 AM   #83
MonkeyBars

I love this place so much.
MonkeyBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:11 AM   #84
airon

Latch Preview is pretty much finished. We can improve bits and pieces around it, but from what I can see, it works.

As soon as the new version is released with Latch Preview, probably in version 5.22, consider this feature request done.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:05 AM   #85
Marcin Szwajcer

GREAT!

But I have one additional request for it. PREVIEW BYPASS, not automation bypass but only Preview Bypass so we can compare automation previously written in envelopes with the one in PREVIEW buffer.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:27 AM   #86
airon

This request is completed, though bypassing Latch Preview is still to do, but we'll just post that as a new request.

Reaper 5.22 has introduced the new Latch Preview mode.

Here is a small video to get you started on how to use it.

Epicsounds has posted a video as well in this thread.

Rest assured, Kenny Goia is probably going to make a video as well.

Last edited by airon; 07-16-2016 at 08:17 AM.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:22 AM   #87
musicbynumbers

Thanks a lot Airon for "seeing this through to completion"

Your service to the Reaper community needs a freaking medal!

Very handy features so thanks for pushing it to get done.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:43 AM   #88
nofish

I wonder if Latch Preview could be expanded for dynamic automation writing at some point (currently it's for writing 'static' values only or ?)

Say I tweak a moving filter cutoff over two bars in preview mode and when I'm happy with it I write it to automation.

Makes any sense ?

edit:
Not to say I don't find it useful already in its current state.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:52 AM   #89
Marcin Szwajcer

I think we sholud add something I watched yesterday in another studio.

"Coalesce Trim Automation After Every Pass"

This function means that TRIM VOLUME envelope doesn't have to be first written then added to VOLUME ENVELOPE, it does it automatically in realtime so every another automation recording pass put all the faders on 0dB. It's really handy as it's the most sensitive range on fader, and this way of working gives a relative feeling of changes we do. Verry handy during fine-tuning automation. It's similar to touch mode, but you doesn't have to know where will your fader be in few moments if you want to make adjustment there. It will be on 0dB, ALLWAYS :-)
Old 07-20-2016, 03:51 AM   #90
airon

Yeah, that's possible but due to the simplistic nature of Reapers dual volume envelopes, it's more complex for the user. At least it's more complex initially, which is kinda poor design but of course much simpler for the Cockos gents to implement in this case.

No configuration mess. The user picks the way she or he wants to work.

Here's a step by step of one way. Think of this as a mode change that you need to snap out of again.

1. Toggle volume envelopes (i.e. the mode change)

Track: Swap volume envelope and trim envelope

This second envelope is now the primary one, and thus can be influenced by your control resources. TCP/MCP controls, physical control surface faders and touch screen controls.

Note that your original volume envelope, if it's visible will now turn black. Once you start recording volume automation to the current primary volume envelope it'll appear. You may need "show stuff you touch in writing modes" active.

2. Record volume envelope automation.

3. Apply your current volume envelope to the current secondary volume envelope, which was your primary before you toggled them.

Track: Apply volume envelope to trim envelope, clear volume envelope

This is the coalescing action.

4. Toggle volume envelopes (i.e. the mode change back)

Track: Swap volume envelope and trim envelope

I also located what is likely to be a design bug.

Run this stuff on a track with just one item and keep both envelopes visible. Your primary one will disappear after the coalescing.

Do a small dip over a couple of seconds. Stop, coalesce, then repeat. Check the levels of your trim envelope (the secondary one). Are the levels still the same outside the zone that you recorded and coalesced to ?
Old 07-21-2016, 06:02 AM   #91
Marcin Szwajcer

airon, your answers are allways so precise and undersandible that I'm shy to tell you now, that I know how to do it step by step I would just like to see a simple, one automation MODE for that in future. I think I didn't express myself good enough :-) So my question is - can you add that coalescing automation mode to your "to do list" on automation topic? Forgive me if I missunderstand something, I'm still trying to learn how ara things done in here ;-)
Old 07-25-2016, 04:18 AM   #92
jackmilas

Hello,

I don't use Reaper. Marcin asked me to explain how Preview automation can be used in Pro Tools to help you develop something similar or better for Reaper. I truly love how simple it is. Take a look and see if it is any helpful.

jackmilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:33 AM   #93
airon

Great demo.

Latch-Preview Suspend is the remaining last bit of the request that isn't part of Reaper yet.

@jackmilas
Reaper holds on to its Preview buffer until you manually clear it. That's the main difference. The buffer can be cleared globally with the action:
Automation: Clear all track envelope latches
There is an action to do this to selected tracks as well, which I find quite useful in some situations.
Automation: Clear track envelope latches
We have no secondary buffers to which we could copy these latched parameters and their values. For multiple commits that is not necessary.

Of course the only way to pick up values in another part of the session is to run read/latch/touch in the source part, switch the relevant tracks to WRITE
and play then write to all latched values across your time selection. Only the parameters either touched or currently writing will be affected that way, which all activated and armed parameters on the track with WRITE mode are.

We cannot however reuse the latched values after clearing the Latch Preview buffers. Yet.

@Justin and Schwa
Latch Preview has a record of all latched parameters. Suspending Latch Preview essentially means switching back to a READ-mode behaviour while holding on to that record of latched parameters and their values in the background. When the suspension is lifted, the latch preview mode continues as before.

This is most often a global behaviour, so if you're going to look in to this, please give us a global override toggle action. Nobody will mind have a per-track action but it might find rare use.

More practical features

1. Slots for saving and loading Latch Preview buffers.
    Great for reusing setups. The SWS Snapshots are not a substitute unless you'd like to contribute Latch-Preview buffer actions to that.

2. Commit all active&armed envelopes of a plugin to the Latch Preview buffer

The alternative is to touch every control by hand, one by one. This would enable folks to quickly commit a plugin-wide setting for save and later recall.

Behaviours:
    • Commit all active&armed envelopes of the plugin whose parameter I last touched
    • Option: Auto-commit all active&armed envelopes of the plugin whose parameter I last touched. Possible per-plugin option
    • Commit all active&armed envelopes of the currently selected/last active plugin/plugin window

I'd use this for building a more complete snapshot for save and recall of effects like reverbs and situational EQs for dialogue. Recalling presets take way more time and cannot be controlled like you could here.
  3. Commit all non-plugin track envelopes to the Latch Preview buffer

Simple. If activated, volume, pan & width, pre-fx volume, pre-fx pan & width, mute, send volumes, send pans, send mutes.

Volume is the easiest to add by touch, as many folks will have at least one touch-sensitive fader around. Everything else needs either mouse action or changing values and that's not what you want. You want the current values.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:07 AM   #94
airon

This needs a bump as well.

These requests are just followups to make a mixers life even easier.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:02 AM   #95
jackmilas

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post

More practical features

1. Slots for saving and loading Latch Preview buffers.
    Great for reusing setups. The SWS Snapshots are not a substitute unless you'd like to contribute Latch-Preview buffer actions to that.

2. Commit all active&armed envelopes of a plugin to the Latch Preview buffer

The alternative is to touch every control by hand, one by one. This would enable folks to quickly commit a plugin-wide setting for save and later recall.

Behaviours:
    • Commit all active&armed envelopes of the plugin whose parameter I last touched
    • Option: Auto-commit all active&armed envelopes of the plugin whose parameter I last touched. Possible per-plugin option
    • Commit all active&armed envelopes of the currently selected/last active plugin/plugin window

I'd use this for building a more complete snapshot for save and recall of effects like reverbs and situational EQs for dialogue. Recalling presets take way more time and cannot be controlled like you could here.
  3. Commit all non-plugin track envelopes to the Latch Preview buffer

Simple. If activated, volume, pan & width, pre-fx volume, pre-fx pan & width, mute, send volumes, send pans, send mutes.

Volume is the easiest to add by touch, as many folks will have at least one touch-sensitive fader around. Everything else needs either mouse action or changing values and that's not what you want. You want the current values.
Hi,

The above features look amazing. I am making an attempt to switch some projects from Pro Tools HD to Reaper. The above features are what I'm missing at the moment.
jackmilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 07:20 AM   #96
David Carlyon

Bump for suspend. Is there any news on this? Love Reapers automation system....came back from Studio One as it is missing all the depth when it comes to automation.
David Carlyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 02:30 PM   #97
airon

Yeah, this temporary Latch Preview bypass sure would come in handy when EQ'ing voice.

I could actually check between my changes, without the changes and other locations with/without changes.

When they get to it and/or understand its use. That's when we get it.
Old 03-14-2021, 03:49 PM   #98
David Carlyon

Quote:
Yeah, this temporary Latch Preview bypass sure would come in handy when EQ'ing voice.

I could actually check between my changes, without the changes and other locations with/without changes.

Yeah exactly! By other locations, do you mean busses, folders returns etc?
It would be incredibly handy indeed. I am just starting to use it as a big part of my workflow in Reaper and it is such a good way of working.

I think with a Faderport and a console 1 this is a great way of sketching out a mix!
David Carlyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 04:02 PM   #99
airon

Only locations on the time axis in this particular case.

Though I do copy settings around by copy/pasting items. And then you have to deal with parameter envelopes disarming themselves. We have a little discussion and feature request going on about that over in this thread.
Old 08-19-2021, 06:58 AM   #100
tingshuo

Quote:

Absolutely! For voice EQ'ing I'm working around this with capability of 3rd party EQ plugs with memory locations or A/B switching (I use Melda MAutoDynamicEQ and TDR Nova, but I guess it's a common feature). After entering latch-preview I copy the current settings to a memory slot, make my changes and then A/B before committing the change. Of course this only covers individual plugins. Would be really great to have a Reaper integrated solution.
tingshuo is offline   Reply With Quote