Old 11-10-2018, 03:55 AM   #1
Geoff-h3o
Human being with feelings

Default Maschine Jam as Controller

I,ve just bought a 2nd hand Komplete 11 ultimate and Maschine Jam came along with it. As it says it can used as a controller I've enabled it to control transport ok ( not exactly rocket science!) and I'd like to build a template but the info in both Reaper manual and wiki, and N.I.'s Controller Editor is, to be generous, sparse.

I have it set as a control surface in Reaper as MCU and as I said transport control works fine. SO.... In NI Control Editor I select a button to assign as an MCU button (?) and get a parameter id. but where do I go from there? Midi Learn?

Any pointers appreciated.

Edit: Well just press and see what it affects is getting me somewhere by trial and error but I would really like to know more what I'm doing otherwise it's just magic and chance

Last edited by Geoff-h3o; 11-10-2018 at 03:10 PM. Reason: addition
Geoff-h3o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 01:15 PM   #2
foxAsteria

It's not probably going to work as a control surface. This is something that only the specific devices listed there in "control surface mode" directly support.

I've not used Jam, but it likely has a MIDI mode for using it as a controller, just like all other Maschine products. On my Mikro MK1, holding shift+F1 puts it into MIDI mode.

Transport control feature is not the same as MIDI mode and only makes a few buttons send MIDI and is horribly implemented, since it removes the function of the Erase button.

You just need go into preference/MIDI devices and add set the jam as MIDI input as enabled+control. Leave the outputs disabled. Now if you have Jam in MIDI mode, you can assign any of the buttons or knobs to any action in the Actions List.
Old 11-25-2018, 04:35 PM   #3
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
but it likely has a MIDI mode for using it as a controller, just like all other Maschine products.
It does and that's likely the way to use it; then just use Reaper's learn function for the controllers. Set it as a MIDI device and make sure it *is not* selected as a control surface.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:08 PM   #4
Geoff-h3o

Default Belated thanks

for your replies; some seems already mapped in midi mode; will try learn function for
further mapping; I remember something from the manual about not selecting as control surface; will look further. :-)

(Yeah I love semicolons)
Old 11-28-2018, 03:47 PM   #5
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff-h3o View Post
I remember something from the manual about not selecting as control surface; will look further. :-)
Yes; likely so.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:41 PM   #6
themixtape

I bought a Maschine Jam recently just for use with Reaper, mostly. It is ridiculous, all it can do, via MIDI Mode and the Controller Editor.

Also found some YouTube videos showing it to control Ableton 10, basically better than a Launchpad or APC40 MKII. The NI-created scripts and templates... disgusting, in the best way.

I haven't yet played with tweaking my Jam for Reaper, but so stoked to get started with it. Especially for use with the Playtime plugin for Reaper.

Maschine Jam RULES.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:18 AM   #7
uksnowy

You should checkout the Driven by Moss script that better connects controllers with DAWs. He has a youtube site showing a Push2 controlling Reaper but the script supports Mascjine jam too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_xvQ1qV-ZM

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....to_threadtools
Old 01-30-2019, 09:43 AM   #8
Geoff-h3o

Default R U sure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uksnowy View Post
You should checkout the Driven by Moss script that better connects controllers with DAWs. He has a youtube site showing a Push2 controlling Reaper but the script supports Mascjine jam too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_xvQ1qV-ZM

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....to_threadtools
Github lists Maschine Micro but no M Jam?

Edit: Or are you suggesting osc?

Last edited by Geoff-h3o; 01-30-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:40 AM   #9
uksnowy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff-h3o View Post
Github lists Maschine Micro but no M Jam?

Edit: Or are you suggesting osc?
hhmmm.. maybe maybe not.. lol.. I am sure I saw it somewhere. Maybe on the YT site.

I just asked the question in the support thread.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:01 AM   #10
Geoff-h3o

No matter. :-) - but good if it does.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:34 PM   #11
LowlyOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by themixtape View Post
I bought a Maschine Jam recently just for use with Reaper, mostly. It is ridiculous, all it can do, via MIDI Mode and the Controller Editor.

Also found some YouTube videos showing it to control Ableton 10, basically better than a Launchpad or APC40 MKII. The NI-created scripts and templates... disgusting, in the best way.

I haven't yet played with tweaking my Jam for Reaper, but so stoked to get started with it. Especially for use with the Playtime plugin for Reaper.

Maschine Jam RULES.
Good timing OP - seems the 3 of us all got a Jam around the same time. I've not yet made an effort to map it for Reaper as i've been way too deep in learning Maschine and the default setup.

Not to derail, but; are you guys new to Maschine, too? Do you use just the Jam, or some combination of Maschine controllers? Running inside of Reaper as VSTi or external with ReaRoute?

Curious to see what you other Jam guys be doing
LowlyOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:20 AM   #12
Geoff-h3o

Default Not a lot really

My MJ came as part of a good deal on 2nd hand Komplete 11 ultimate, which I bought for Session horns/strings pro and 1 or 2 other Kontakt libraries. So far I've only used it in midi mode for control of Reaper and not even a lot for that. It may come into its own when I start mixing what I'm busy arranging, but probably not Maschine, Reactor etc.

edit: if you look at the times when these posts were ...er... posted you'll notice that I answered nearly 2 hours before you asked your question. This would not be possible on any other forum. ;-)

Last edited by Geoff-h3o; 02-06-2019 at 03:27 AM.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:40 AM   #13
themixtape

Does the DrivenByMoss script fully support Maschine Jam especially for step-sequencing using Megababy (and/or the Megababy with Akai Support script someone made)? Thanks!