Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 02-15-2019, 06:53 AM   #1
jalfk
Human being with feelings

Default Allow hiding of child tracks in region render matrix (PLEASE!!!)

THIS FEATURE HAS NOW BEEN IMPLEMENTED AS OF THE CURRENT VERSION AND IT TOTALLY ROCKS, THANK YOU. REAPER IS AWESOME.

* Request /////////////////
Please allow the hiding of child tracks in region render matrix. This could be implemented with a single button at the top "hide all children". It could also be implemented with the same kind of functionality that children tracks are normally hidden in reaper in the main arrange window's track list but this extra level of functionality is essentially superfluous, all that needs to implemented for my requirements would be "hide all children".

* Benefit /////////////////
I use the region render matrix constantly. It is one of the core features which ensures Reaper still shits on the competition. HOWEVER, when working on complex projects with child tracks with child child tracks and a complicated 200 track project with multiple regions that you want to bounce (rendering of stems or live performance loops of a song), the region render matrix turns into an unnavigable, confusing massive long list of tracks which makes your brain hurt in trying to figure out which track belongs to which region. All of this would be made SUPER EASY simply by enabling a function which hides all child tracks.

* Result /////////////////
You would then only see top level channels and don't see the 20 tracks making up that channel. So instead of seeing "Vox Vox Vox 4 Vox 1 21 Vox 23 Vox Vox BVS BVS BVS BVS BVS L R L R L R L R M M M" you simply see "VOX" with all irrelevant children hidden. And what is worse than seeing a jumbled list of VOX L R LR BVs etc is seeing a list which contains unnamed tracks or automatically named tracks from the file name which is even more confusing. Doing this would save me hours a week of squinting at a confusing track lists and I would run naked into the street in celebration.

* Implementation idea ////////////////
It doesn't even need to operate on all levels of children, it just needs to get rid of all children from any top level parent. It could comprise of a single toggle button "hide all children" in the region render matrix.

THANKS!

Last edited by jalfk; 03-14-2019 at 09:55 AM. Reason: implementation
jalfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:07 AM   #2
airon

Thumbs up!

This would actually help me as well.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:15 AM   #3
X-Raym

There is a tons of awaited FR for the Region Matrix,
  • having full region name,
  • a way to filter region and tracks with text input fields
  • region and track color indicators,
  • ability to scroll
  • font size adjustment...
  • and now (this FR): possibility to hide childs.

I'm starting to think that only a script could solve all this, as it's been a while since the last time it get attention (I don't see anything related to this in the whole v5 changelog, but maybe it is just wrong keywords).
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 02:44 AM   #4
jalfk

I'm not just saying this because I suggested the feature but the ability to hide children is an order of magnitude more important than changing the colour and font size etc.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:10 AM   #5
X-Raym

@jalfk
You missed my point, I'm not prioritizing feature requests with this list, nor dismissing your feature request.

What I'm telling here is that RRM didn't get updated in 5 years at least even with very valid FR.
But if you want me to prioritize, I would say that the most critical thing is "having the full name of the region displayed in RRM" is an order of magnitude more important than your FR. This can be considered as a bug and make RRM GUI not usable for some people.

So what I'm suggesting is that rather than waiting, maybe elaborate a custom script would be the solution. Though, we can still hope RRM get natively upgraded of course.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:11 AM   #6
jalfk

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
@jalfk
What I'm telling here is that RRM didn't get updated in 5 years at least even with very valid FR.
I've also been requesting ReaGate have an exponential release option to make it not sound shit for over 7 years now too, which is another extremely trivial to implement yet game changing feature for professional users. But I'm starting to question why there is even a feature request forum at all if trivial to implement yet game changing features go completely ignored literally for years.

Quote:
@jalfk
I would say that the most critical thing is "having the full name of the region displayed in RRM" is an order of magnitude more important than your FR. This can be considered as a bug and make RRM GUI not usable for some people.
If you think this, I have a very hard time believing you are a professional user. I use reaper every day full time for my job. See following picture why what you said is complete nonsense: https://imgur.com/a/fxo4KSf

Quote:
@jalfk
So what I'm suggesting is that rather than waiting, maybe elaborate a custom script would be the solution. Though, we can still hope RRM get natively upgraded of course.
I would consider myself a reaper "power user" as the program forms the core of my daily work as a professional engineer but I have zero clue how to make a script. I'm not a programmer. Which is why I'm feature requesting.

It seems everyone here basically has the attitude "oh, we've been waiting on X Y and Z for years, I wouldn't bother!". Well what's the frickin point of being able to discuss feature requests if none of them ever get implemented?
Old 02-16-2019, 07:07 AM   #7
X-Raym

@jalfk
1. I didn't say that every or any FR are pointless, so don't generalize. Some made it to release after discussion there. This forum is important.

2. Your FR is totally valid. I told you already. So no need to yell at me. I'm on your side!

3. Devs don't like to read angry people yelling at each other between two specs descriptions. so the best thing to do for your FR is to stay polite and open minded to comments, even if you found them weird or bad. Don't jump on everything. Don't try to prove your are the best "professional" in the discussions. Don't answer if it is off-topic. Focus on the FR. Ignore everything else.

I was investigating how to make this RRM script, but I guess I'll focus on other scripts now cause it definitely started on the wrong foot.

Good luck for your FR!
Old 02-16-2019, 07:20 AM   #8
schwa
Administrator

We're looking at some usability improvements for this dialog.

Quote:
[*]ability to scroll[*]having full region name
You can already scroll, no? And on my screen, the track name length and region name length both max out around 24 characters. How much more do you think would be needed?

Last edited by schwa; 02-16-2019 at 07:27 AM.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 08:49 AM   #9
X-Raym

@schwa
To showcase these improvements better and avoid conflict with the OP by being Off topic, I open a dedicated thread to compile common RRM related
requests.

Region Render Matrix Improvements (compilation)

See you there!

Last edited by X-Raym; 02-16-2019 at 08:55 AM. Reason: wrong place to post that
Old 02-17-2019, 02:09 AM   #10
jalfk

And so you divert to another thread which does not contain my feature request. That's pretty butthurt of you.

There is no real functionality lacking in the RRM. the main problem is navigating it, for which hiding children you make life a lot easier.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:49 AM   #11
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalfk View Post
hiding children
We're adding this
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:53 AM   #12
_Stevie_

Awesome schwa!

@jalfk: I really think there was a problem in communication here. X-Raym is a real helpful and nice guy. But I understand your frustration (I'm coming from Cubase, haha).
Old 02-17-2019, 05:17 PM   #13
jalfk

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
We're adding this
TOTAL LEGEND!!
Old 03-14-2019, 09:55 AM   #14
jalfk

Been using this new feature already and it is SO HELPFUL. I'm am so massively pleased this was implemented, and also very quickly. Reaper is objectively the best DAW hands down and this is another testament to the team responding to the needs of the end user, massive thumbs up! At this point anyone not using reaper is just legit using the wrong DAW lol