Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Live Use

Old 06-12-2018, 02:19 PM   #1
Tony Ostinato
Human being with feelings

Default reaper based live performance midi rack

hi, i use reaper live onstage as a midi module rack, heres a long video of the setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5ar_3nGx2w

i had to really kludge the muting/soloing to get the most out of it and it doesn't even work on newer versions of reaper, for some reason the direct send doesnt work but routing thru another track and then to where you wanted to send does

what i was thinking was how cool it would be if there was a version of reaper designed just for this

ideally the thing you want is for for everything to be muted, and not using cpu, except for the things you're actually playing thru.

i couldn't figure out how to absolutely get that so i mute AND solo all the vsti tracks and then i have all the "preset" tracks muted and solo the one i am using.

thanks!
Tony Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:21 PM   #2
mschnell

According to the docs, The FXes are disabled in muted tracks (if Reaper is configured that way). If it does not work, in some version of Reaper, this would be a bug.

I happily make use of this Feature in my live (two keyboards and Breath Controller, Also very happily using Sample/Audio Modeling Flutes and Trumpet ) setup.

I don't know what soloing does on that behalf. I never tried.

Why should there be "a version of reaper designed just for this". Any Version is supposed to decently work appropriately.

BTW.: You might want to search the forum, for "LiveConfigs" to see several interesting discussions on "on stage" patch changing with a live setup using Reaper.

-Michael (as always desperately missing a dedicated "Live" subforum in these forums )

Last edited by mschnell; 06-12-2018 at 09:33 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:04 AM   #3
Tony Ostinato

i think this goes beyond those setups. watch the video closer. i can switch between any of the presets in seconds, no loading time.

this is just one of those presets:

https://soundcloud.com/tonyostinato/2001a
Old 06-13-2018, 12:31 AM   #4
EvilDragon

LiveConfigs is pretty much what you need... It has these options:

So you can have all the patches preloaded (provided you have the RAM) on various tracks, then you can switch between them instantaneously just how you want it.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:48 AM   #5
Tony Ostinato

indeed i have seen that but it wasn't able to do what i did.

where i have painted myself into a corner is in order to switch between the "preset" tracks, and i have over 200 now and i run 3 tabs so its over 600 available "presets", i use a action macro that mutes all other tracks and solos the selected track.

the vsti tracks and midichords tracks that route into the vsti tracks are all muted and solod, and somehow even tho youre using that macro they remain solod and muted at the same time. somehow it works. maybe thats a bug i am exploiting in the earlier reaper version.

what would be good enuff is to be able to have all tracks muted but when you solo one it solos the others it is routed to no matter what and then when you mute the "preset" track again, by selecting another, all the connected things go back to being muted

i am kinda stuck in this setup regardless as i have used it on tons of shows, i wouldn't be able to easily switch to another approach and still cover all the parts. heres a live video where i do the strings/recorders on "life on mars" :

https://youtu.be/27UiIVcLb9k?list=PLB35861F23B7CBE1E

this setup is also good for say a keyboardist who has had an accident and lost fingers, i am only to input one note from the wx5 but midichords changes that into like 40+ notes or however many you want

Last edited by Tony Ostinato; 06-13-2018 at 12:57 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:14 AM   #6
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Ostinato View Post
i think this goes beyond those setups. watch the video closer. i can switch between any of the presets in seconds, no loading time.
Same here (using LiveConfgs, but similar stuff can also be done with other tools, some of which I provided via ReaPack).

I use an X-Touch Compact "surface" device to control the patches.

It can manage up to 64 patches that are switched by pressing a button (no delay at all).

Additionally to the preprogrammed setup, each patch features 17 "Live parameters", that can be tweaked in realtime with the faders and rotaries of the X-Touch, and are preserved during patch-changes (i.e. recalled, used, and shown on the X-Touches Motor Faders and Rotary-LED-rings, when the patch is re-selected ).

I already did (JSFX) software to step through patches in a pre-defined multi-song-based sequence, but I don't use it up till now.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 06-13-2018 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:49 PM   #7
Tony Ostinato

64 is not enuff tho, i'm up over 600 now

live config will not work for what i am doing, so lets end that. thats a non starter.

i am sorry, i know youre trying to help, but its no good
Old 06-13-2018, 01:01 PM   #8
EvilDragon

There's 8 Live Configs each with 128 possible patches... That's 1024.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:58 PM   #9
Tony Ostinato

ok even if a milllion, put yourself in my place. it would take me months, maybe a year, to convert my setup to that.

and a lot of things use 10 midichords all routed to different vstis with different harmony maps so id have to have 10 separate channels of this going on. like at the beginning of the video that "hide and seek" routes to all those instances of midichords on the screen running 4 different vsti's on a bunch of channels each so its 4 independent channels of routing/fx to the midichords and then they route to the vsti's multitimbrally on up to 16 channels

what youre saying would maybe be great/better for someone starting a new setup, especially a keyboardist

i just feel like youre not getting whats in the video and how thats setup, i cant lose any of that capability at this point or people will be mad

so again getting back to my situation and really helping that it would be cool if they could add that feature in the preferences if nothing else, but i appreciate that might not be so easy at this point. i had to try and ask. for me itd be awesome.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:34 PM   #10
mschnell

As said before, while LiveConfigs might be a great help when designing a "patch change" setup, everything it does can be accomplished with other means as well.

There is a looong thread in the JSFX forum on that with doing an especially versatile setup for Guitar effects. Here "spill over" and "smooth switching by crossfading" when changing the patches has been accomplished by some dedicated JSFX plugins and scripts I did. (LiveConfigs always first fades out and only then fades in the sound, producing a gap which "Pipe" did not want.)

In fact LiveConfigs was created by a Guitarist for such a setup, and does provide certain hurdles for use with keyboards (i.e. using Midi Program Changes as input and output). I hade to take care of this when I started to do my setup (without the Surface device at that time) some years ago.

Unfortunately I am unable to see why it's necessary to use "solo" with a patch changing setup, what the (maybe negative) consequences of doing so might be, and how to overcome them.

Hence my recommendation is not to use "solo" but do the scripts in a way that they just use Mute instead.

BTW.: thanks a lot for creating this thread and the video mentioned in the first post, again showing the immense (and seemingly even by the devs vastly underestimated) power of Reaper for Live performance and other "embedded" purposes.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 06-13-2018 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:37 AM   #11
Tony Ostinato

very welcome

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...y0tS3IxV1A5SVk

theres some really old project files of this. important to get the insert piz here midichords to get the one finger chords happening. any vsti synths should work for testing i would think

itll overload your system if you dont mute the tracks. then you solo the ones in black on the left and right of the mixer, 10 each.

then youd select and unmute the one you want to use i guess but i seem to remember that didnt work like hoped