Old 03-11-2019, 08:46 AM   #1
kirk1701
Human being with feelings

Default Reamp/mixing through guitar pedals

I currently record most thing through a GAP Pre73jr into a Tascam US-600 interface. I'm wondering if it's possible to route the mix through some guitar pedals without buying any extra gear?

Obviously the signal coming out of Reaper will be line level, so I was hoping I could use the Pre73jr the junction between line and high impedance.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:52 AM   #2
ashcat_lt

The impedance doesn't matter, and you can adjust the level using any of the controls that Reaper provides for such things. It could work fine with just straight wire connections. It also might create a ground loop which causes ugly noise. I've never really had that problem with pedals, but I do when I actual go through an amp. The best way to fix that is with a transformer to isolate the grounds. A DI works, but you'll want one with a switchable pad, or I guess there are few dedicated reamp boxes out there. I don't think that pre you've got will do you any favors unless it's got a ground lift.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:27 PM   #3
yep

There is no simple, universal answer to your question, except to try it.

Most professional microphones and pro-audio equipment is designed to run at impedances of around 50-500 ohms, or thereabouts. Impedance is a complex subject, and a complex measurement, involving resistance, capacitance, reactance, and I think something else.

Guitar gear is generally made to run at much higher impedance, 10,000 ohms or more. That's like hundreds or thousands of times higher than a typical microphone.

You generally won't harm gear by plugging into the "wrong" impedance. Instead, you will find weak, noisy, strangled, muffled, or distorted signal, and it's pretty safe to let your ears be your guide in this respect, so long as you are aware that you are "coloring outside the lines", so to speak. It might sound like shit, but you're not generally going to break your guitar or your microphone by plugging it into the wrong connection (ribbon mics excluded).
yep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 02:26 AM   #4
numberthirty

Agree with that the issue is not so much "Can I Do It?", and more "Will The Results Be Worthwhile?"

The issues mentioned are entirely possible.

Here's a couple of videos on doing it on a budget...

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyiKFoH_xf4

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1O_5gaX4-s

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmmHynZN0PE
numberthirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:00 AM   #5
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
Agree with that the issue is not so much "Can I Do It?", and more "Will The Results Be Worthwhile?"
I totally agree. The only pedal I was hoping to employ was my Alter Ego delay. There's a ton of cool tape delay/digital delay effects in that pedal. But again, the results may not be worth the effort.