COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 03-11-2009, 05:12 PM   #1
mrelwood
Human being with feelings

Default Ordinal numbers in American schools?

I recall reading that American schools now approve "fault" ordinal numbers, like 1th, 2th, 3th, ... (instead of 1st, 2nd, 3rd).

I've googled my ass sore but can't find anything related to the news. What I did find was a few dates, like "May 1th", "2th dec" and "March 3th".

So what's up, is my memory from a nightmare or not?
Old 03-11-2009, 06:48 PM   #2
TheArchitect

I've not heard of such a thing. No one here uses those. I can't imagine why schools would teach it
4gb Geil RAM / WD Caviar SE16 7200rmp SATA2 drives / Antec 650w Trio PS
RMA Hammerfall 9632 w/ 4input daughter board

Reamote Slave
Reaper v3.12
Intel P4 2.6gh / 2gb RAM / WD Caviar SE16 7200rmp SATA2 drives

Apps
Antares v5 / Kompact v1.04 / Melodyne
Kjaerhus GCO-1Compressor
Kjaerhus Classic Plugs / SIR1

Last edited by TheArchitect; 03-12-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:35 AM   #3
ngarjuna

I work for a public school district in the US. I don't believe this new format (Nth) is being used anywhere in the city I live.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:17 AM   #4
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
I've not heard of such a thing. No one hear uses those. I can't imagine why schools would teach it
But we have replaced the word here with "hear"! LOL
Old 03-12-2009, 12:07 PM   #5
LOSER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
I work for a public school district in the US.
So do American Schools approve to "this new format (Nth)", or no?
Old 03-12-2009, 12:13 PM   #6
ngarjuna

I don't believe so. I think 1st, 2nd, 3rd, Nth is still considered correct.

Since I'm not an educator (not at this job, anyway), I did shoot an email to the superintendent of curriculum to find out for sure. Also, she's involved in a lot of "trendsetting" organizations, so I also asked whether she had ever heard of this new notation and whether or not it seems to be gaining ground (we're in the middle of the mid-west, not exactly the bleeding edge).

I'll let you know when I get some answers.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:55 PM   #7
Lokasenna

I really doubt anyone would be brainless enough to try teaching ordinal numbers that way. Even if they did, unless they're also going to teach kids to pronounce them "Firth", "Seconth", and "Thirth", it would never last.

Then again, this IS the country that still thinks water freezing at 32 degrees and 5280 feet to a mile are an efficient system, so you never know.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:04 PM   #8
ngarjuna

I can see the logic of it, personally. The biggest complaint that I hear about English is how exceptional and non-standardized it is. Reducing the number of "little special cases" would help greatly in making international English a little less painful for non-speakers.

But yeah, don't count on Americans to make sense when it comes to measuring things. Even the British have given up on Imperial Units (how do you like that for irony).
Old 03-12-2009, 01:22 PM   #9
Brad

Logic? Really? I'll 2th that.

Don't wanna be a 3th wheel either.

At the ballgame....It's the top of the 3th inning....runners on 1th and 2th.....the batter hits a single down the 3th base line....

LOL
Old 03-12-2009, 01:35 PM   #10
Kihoalu

Quote:
At the ballgame....It's the top of the 3th inning....runners on 1th and 2th.....the batter hits a single down the 3th base line....
Could you please quit lisping?! (or were you talking Castillian?)

Old 03-12-2009, 01:35 PM   #11
rbarkhouse

Firth Of Fifth?

Widow's Walk ~ progressive rock and metal
http://www.widowswalk.ca ~ http://www.myspace.com/widowswalkprog
Old 03-12-2009, 01:49 PM   #12
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post

LOL
So who's on firth, what's on seconth, I don't know's on thirth?
Old 03-16-2009, 10:20 AM   #13
ngarjuna

Superintendent has never heard of this new method, so not only are we not using it, there is no immediate plan to adopt.

I would say it is not widespread if it's in use in the US at all.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:35 PM   #14
LOSER

Quote:

LOL
Well it would be logical in that you would still pronounce it as first, second, third, fourth ...

So -th would be the ordinal indicator. And not -st, -nd, -rd, -th depending on what ordinal number it is.

Here in Germany ordinal indicator is simple dot behind the number (for everything). So 1. = 1st. While 1 = 1.

French its -er or -e (in some instances if I'm right).
Some countries use the degree symbol (the little o) or a in superscribe. Some have weird indicators and some even have indicators that are different depending on the GENDER of the number, etc...

So while it seems illogical to have a common -th for everything, it indeed is logical (if you look at the -th as an ordinal indicator only rather than an ordinal indicator derived from the real pronounced word for that specific ordinal).
Old 03-16-2009, 06:31 PM   #15
Mr. Data

Quote:

LOL
But this way your able too wright 2thbrush or so.
Was dizz rong?

-Dayta
Old 03-16-2009, 06:37 PM   #16
Mr. Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarkhouse View Post
Firth Of Fifth?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
So who's on firth, what's on seconth, I don't know's on thirth?
It gets even harder when it comes to thixth - ööhm or sithxth or whatever.

-Thatha
Old 03-16-2009, 06:51 PM   #17
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOSER View Post
So while it seems illogical to have a common -th for everything, it indeed is logical (if you look at the -th as an ordinal indicator only rather than an ordinal indicator derived from the real pronounced word for that specific ordinal).
I would argue that deriving the indicator from the pronounced word is quite logical, and anyone who would stumble on it simply isn't familiar with the language in the first place. If you know first, second, third, fourth, I fail to see where the jump to 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th could be difficult.

English has tons of exceptions, yes, and I've read that it's one of the more difficult languages to learn for that reason. The way we write ordinals, though, doesn't seem like an exception to me - it's just an abbreviation.

Incidentally, French isn't all that different. First - Premier - 1er, Second - Deuxieme - 2e, Third - Troisieme - 3e, etc. The ordinals are derived from the original word, and the only difference is that English has three exceptions to the standard ending as opposed to one.

Last edited by Lokasenna; 03-16-2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:18 PM   #18
LOSER

Quote:
I would argue that deriving the indicator from the pronounced word is quite logical, and anyone who would stumble on it simply isn't familiar with the language in the first place. If you know first, second, third, fourth, I fail to see where the jump to 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th could be difficult.

English has tons of exceptions, yes, and I've read that it's one of the more difficult languages to learn for that reason. The way we write ordinals, though, doesn't seem like an exception to me - it's just an abbreviation.

Incidentally, French isn't all that different. First - Premier - 1er, Second - Deuxieme - 2e, Third - Troisieme - 3e, etc. The ordinals are derived from the original word, and the only difference is that English has three exceptions to the standard ending as opposed to one.
Well I never argued that 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc ... is illogical. I only pointed out that having -th for everything is not illogical when you don't consider the origin of the -th, like Brad seemed to imply it.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:56 PM   #19
Mr. Data

Quote:

I (being German too) can follow Losers args there and I'd even go further and say it's kinda illogical. You say "one" for 1 and not "fir", so logically it would be "oneth", you say "two" for 2 and not "seco" and logically this would be "twoth" and you say "three" for 3 and not "thi" and logically it would be "threeth". I can't see where there the abbreviation is, because f.i. "second" is even longer than "twoth". It just comes in when you write numbers instead of words, i.e. 1st, 2nd, 3rd instead of first, second and third. But this is a cultural grown thing, that hasn't to be logical. In fact, these are the things that keep languages alive in terms of evolving, And so, we, the foreign language speaking people get around with that I think - but logical? No.

I'd say this 1th, 2th 3th thing is part of laziness and indifference against the own language and also because many texts are created automatically nowadays where for numbers wildcards are used. So when the numbers are filled in, there's always a "th" behind them, no matter, whether there's a 1, 2, 3, 5, 21 or whatever in front of it. Well, software could be that intelligent and fill the right "st", "nd" or "rd" in, but it rarely is. And the more these things are seen, the more people get used to them and often they even don't know it's wrong. It goes into the same direction, where people confuse "their" and "there" or "its" and "it's" or "your" and "you're" in writing.

In Germany we have this "declining of culture" as well.

-Data

Last edited by Mr. Data; 03-16-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:47 AM   #20
ngarjuna

That's kind of how I see it too, this is an attempt to make an "easy version" of the rule which doesn't correspond to the words as they're actually spoken. From the perspective of people who don't primarily speak English, this seems sensible to me. Yes, we could program stuff to recognize the grammar rules for 1-3 but why bother. Other than the fact that it reflects the phonetics of the pronounced word, it doesn't really add anything beyond that, so it's perfectly acceptable to standardize Nth for various uses.

From the perspective of people who do primarily speak English, particularly people learning to speak/read/write (US schools), it would seem a better choice to reinforce the student's knowledge of the exceptions that they will be expected to know and use (first, second, third) and use the non-standard 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Because unlike writing 2th (which will be obvious and understood by most of the people reading it), asking "Who will go twoeth?" will get you a lot of funny looks.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:50 AM   #21
Mr. Data

Quote:
From the perspective of people who don't primarily speak English, this seems sensible to me.
Yes, another thing I stumbled upon when learning English was "go" and "went", 'cos these words don't have really much in common writing- and speaking-wise.
But back to numbers: In Germany we have these illogicalities too. You say for instance twenty-three and in German it is "dreiundzwanzig", which would be three-and-twenty, which in fact doesn't really make sense, because we read from left to right. So why do we say "drei" first? It gets even worse with larger numbers as f.e. 123, which is "einhundertdreiundzwanzig" and would literally translate as "one-hundred-three-and-twenty". Actually we say 1, 3, 2 in German, which is by no means logical to me.

Quote:
From the perspective of people who do primarily speak English, particularly people learning to speak/read/write (US schools), it would seem a better choice to reinforce the student's knowledge of the exceptions that they will be expected to know and use (first, second, third) and use the non-standard 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Because unlike writing 2th (which will be obvious and understood by most of the people reading it), asking "Who will go twoeth?" will get you a lot of funny looks.
Yes, because - as I wrote before - it is part of the culture.

-Data
Old 03-17-2009, 12:53 PM   #22
Dan
up here in my tree

If you want to speak english, learn english.

It's not like China is making Chinese any easier for non-native speakers to learn?
Old 03-17-2009, 05:56 PM   #23
LOSER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
If you want to speak [E]nglish, learn [E]nglish.

It's not like China is making Chinese any easier for non-native speakers to learn?
Just chill no one is going to change the English language.

Besides do you really think that changing the ordinal indicator would make it anymore easier? I doubt. Besides that would only be a change in writing and not affect speaking at all ...
Old 03-18-2009, 08:06 AM   #24
Teksonik

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrelwood View Post
I've googled my ass sore
That's really disturbing. Is that the 1th time?