Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 01-15-2022, 09:56 AM   #41
daxliniere
Human being with feelings

Hey Justin,
Thanks for the answer.

Would you consider adding some logic to avoid unnecessary up- and down-sampling steps?
The reason someone would choose to use oversampling is because they are concerned about quality in some way. Introducing extra resampling steps seems like it's defeating the purpose a little bit, or at least is at-odds to it.
This would also help to minimise CPU load and latency.

Also, it would probably need to be handled if the "Never oversample" option was added since you might have a non-oversampled plugin in the middle of an FX chain which is otherwise oversampled.
daxliniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 01:20 PM   #42
kindafishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxliniere View Post
Hey Justin,
Thanks for the answer.

Would you consider adding some logic to avoid unnecessary up- and down-sampling steps?
The reason someone would choose to use oversampling is because they are concerned about quality in some way. Introducing extra resampling steps seems like it's defeating the purpose a little bit, or at least is at-odds to it.
This would also help to minimise CPU load and latency.

Also, it would probably need to be handled if the "Never oversample" option was added since you might have a non-oversampled plugin in the middle of an FX chain which is otherwise oversampled.
Yeah... Justin... I'm going to have to go ahead and counter this request with my own request for it not to be implemented in that way and to remain as-is. Unless it is an optional thing, in which case it would make everyone happy of course. Not sure how this could be configurable without being a little messy unless it was an all or nothing user preference.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 01:39 PM   #43
daxliniere

Interesting, KindaFishy. Any reason you'd not want to avoid extra up/downsampling steps, higher latency and higher CPU usage?
Old 01-15-2022, 03:56 PM   #44
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Hey Justin,
Thanks for the answer.

For now, no. There are internal design reasons for this.

Quote:
The reason someone would choose to use oversampling is because they are concerned about quality in some way.
I don't think people should choose oversampling because of vague concerns. If they have a particular compressor that they want to reduce aliasing on, or want to do some EQing close to nyquist, etc, maybe. But I don't think people should think "I want more quality let me turn oversampling on."

Quote:
Introducing extra resampling steps seems like it's defeating the purpose a little bit, or at least is at-odds to it.
Upsampling and downsampling is not a particularly lossy process.

Quote:
I am not planning on adding a "never oversample" option, also for design reasons.

Oversampling is being added as potentially very valuable tool, but we don't need to cover every possible use case, as it's also a very specific tool that most people should never need to use.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 04:00 PM   #45
daxliniere

>>Would you consider adding some logic to avoid unnecessary up- and down-sampling steps?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
For now, no. There are internal design reasons for this.
Couldn't they just be treated as 'mini FX chains'?
Old 01-15-2022, 04:01 PM   #46
daxliniere

Either way, thank you for implementing oversampling. I didn't think I needed it, but I've been amazed at how much better some things can sound.
Old 01-15-2022, 04:14 PM   #47
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
>>Would you consider adding some logic to avoid unnecessary up- and down-sampling steps?

Couldn't they just be treated as 'mini FX chains'?
It gets more complex if you try to do that, which isn't to say we couldn't, but would rather not.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 04:16 PM   #48
daxliniere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
It gets more complex if you try to do that, which isn't to say we couldn't, but would rather not.
Okay, understood! Thanks for the answer.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:10 AM   #49
kindafishy

Quote:
Interesting, KindaFishy. Any reason you'd not want to avoid extra up/downsampling steps, higher latency and higher CPU usage?
There is a really great article here that explains it far better than I could, and it is from a trusted source -> https://vladgsound.wordpress.com/tag/tdr-ultrasonic/

Personally I do not want a plugin running at anything higher than 48 kHz to pass the audio buffer to a non-linear plugin in the same chain without having an ultrasonic filter placed before it.

From earlier in the thread (you must have missed it):

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy View Post
I would think that if you want this, you should be using fx chain OS, not individual plugin OS.

Further to that, I think that individual plugins should do up/down individually and it is not superfluous. By doing this, it avoids the need to stick ultrasonic filters in front of every non-linear plugin. I don't think I would bother to use the OS feature if it has the behaviour you describe.
Cheers!

Hey Justin, this got me thinking. Any chance REAPER could provide a built in option for ultrasonic filtering to take place before a particular plugin? Just another menu option? That would really help to declutter sessions for those who make use of these things.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 08:29 AM   #50
daxliniere

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy View Post
There is a really great article here that explains it far better than I could, and it is from a trusted source -> https://vladgsound.wordpress.com/tag/tdr-ultrasonic/

Personally I do not want a plugin running at anything higher than 48 kHz to pass the audio buffer to a non-linear plugin in the same chain without having an ultrasonic filter placed before it.
Ah, Vlad and Fabien are friends of mine! In fact, I introduced them.

I had completely missed this video and found it enlightening. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, KF!
I guess the best thing to do is think up some listening tests and see what sounds best.

Cheers!