Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 05-31-2021, 05:10 AM   #1
baldo
Human being with feelings

Default keylab mk2 : fixed Daw Mode and User mode with led feedback in Realearn

Hello,

A thread about Realearn and keylab :

-------------------------
--- fixed daw mode --
------------------------

A lot of users of the keylab mk2, including me, have complained about the keylab DAW mode (based on MCU).

The main complain about it is that track selection is not exclusive : when selecting a a new track the former selected tracks are still selected. It may sound as a detail, but it makes the DAW mode pretty unusable.

Arturia told the users that it comes from the MCU implementation (the protocol that is handling the DAW mode) of Reaper.

Hopefully, with the new version of Realearn, I made a preset to fix it !

Here is what it does :

- track selection is now exclusive
- read and write buttons enables "trim/read" and "touch" (instead of read and write), which i find really more convenient

Drawback:
- zooming buttons works partly (zoom in but no zoomout), which is a minor trouble compared to what it fixes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
-- fixed Daw mode (keylab daw button enabled) : resources and install
------------------------------------------------------------------------
1°) install realearn and helgoboss daw controller preset (also available through reapack once realearn repository is installed) from reapack :
https://www.helgoboss.org/projects/realearn/

2°) download my preset : https://stash.reaper.fm/v/42193/keylab-mk2-mcu.json
and paste it in <reaper recource folder> > data > helgoboss > realearn > main mapping

3°) enable MIDIIN2(keylab) and MIDIIN2(keylab) (midi port 2 of keylab) in input and output in reaper preferences > audio midi device. do no enable input for control messages (not needed with relearn).

4°) Open a relearn instance and set the instance as follows :
- controller input : MIDIIN2(keylab mk2)
- feedback output : MIDIIN2(keylab mk2)
- go to controller compartement and select "mackie control" as controller
preset
- go to main compartement and select "keylab-mk2-mcu" as main preset.

DONE ! you can now access daw mode with the keylab as you would normally do (pressing daw button) with fixed issues. You can even change the daw mode behaviour if you feel comfortable with Realearn :-D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----- Keylab user preset (user button enabled, specific preset loaded, see below) ----------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to create a custom USER preset with, you can also
download my controller preset that allows you to enjoy mapping with
led feedback :
https://stash.reaper.fm/v/42192/keylab-mk2.json. Paste it in
<reaper recource folder> > data > helgoboss > realearn > main mapping

If you don't know what led feedback is, you should watch the realearn introduction video https://www.helgoboss.org/projects/realearn/.

For this to work however, you should create a keylab user preset with default settings but apply the following modifications (using arturia midi control editor) :
- relative mode 1 for encoders
- gate mode for all switches
- pad light should be enabled on trigger only (to let Realearn manage led feedback)

On a relearn instance set everything according to the following :
- controller input : keylab mk2
- feedback output : MIDIIN2(keylab mk2)
- go to controller compartement and select "keylab mk2" as controller
preset
- go to main compartement and create you own mapping :-D.

-------------------------------------------
-- about the user preset and transport ----
-------------------------------------------
Even when in user mode, transport buttons are based on daw mode.
So, if you want the transport to work correctly when using user mode
with realearn, make sure to create one instance of realearn with the
daw mode setting (first part of this post).
Transport won't work otherwise.

------------------------
--- owner note ---------
------------------------

I am the author of the keylab-mk2 preset (I am dissofiddle on the stash) and
keylab-mcu preset but not of the mackie preset
(which was made by helgoboss).

Normally the keylab-mk2 will be soon available in reapack
in the realearn repository. In that case, I might remove it
from the reaper stash.

cheers.

Last edited by baldo; 06-08-2021 at 01:39 AM.
baldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 12:32 AM   #2
Treaper

I don't own a Keylab MK2, but I just want to say thanks for the good work!
Treaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 11:35 AM   #3
zrazhvad

Default Strange error

Hello. Thank you very much for your hard work. I knew a lot of new things about reaper. Sad, but I have no success here.
I'm not sure I'm understand how to do #4 from your manual. How can I open instance of ReaLearn. I tried to add it just to add it to fx chain of master channel, I'm not sure that is right. But also, when I tried to add your .json file I got next error:

ReaLearn warning: Preset file /Users/dz/Library/Application Support/REAPER/Data/helgoboss/realearn/presets/controller/icon-platform-m.json isn't valid. Details:

UUID parsing failed: invalid length: expected one of [36, 32], found 5 at line 7 column 19

ReaLearn warning: Preset file /Users/dz/Library/Application Support/REAPER/Data/helgoboss/realearn/presets/controller/mackie-control.json isn't valid. Details:

UUID parsing failed: invalid length: expected one of [36, 32], found 5 at line 7 column 19

Last edited by zrazhvad; 12-16-2021 at 11:42 AM. Reason: add attachment
zrazhvad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 03:27 PM   #4
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrazhvad View Post
Hello. Thank you very much for your hard work. I knew a lot of new things about reaper. Sad, but I have no success here.
I'm not sure I'm understand how to do #4 from your manual. How can I open instance of ReaLearn. I tried to add it just to add it to fx chain of master channel, I'm not sure that is right. But also, when I tried to add your .json file I got next error:

ReaLearn warning: Preset file /Users/dz/Library/Application Support/REAPER/Data/helgoboss/realearn/presets/controller/icon-platform-m.json isn't valid. Details:

ReaLearn warning: Preset file /Users/dz/Library/Application Support/REAPER/Data/helgoboss/realearn/presets/controller/mackie-control.json isn't valid. Details:

Just about the warning: Wait a bit. I will fix this next week. For now, ignore it or upgrade ReaLearn to the latest pre-release.
helgoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 10:40 AM   #5
zrazhvad

thank you very much
zrazhvad is offline   Reply With Quote