COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 03-24-2020, 02:22 PM   #1
urednik
Human being with feelings

Default Ninjam Android, Voice Chat

Hello, reading through documentation and forums, I can't figure some probably obvious functionalities of this genious Ninjam concept, so here are my questions:

1. Is it possible to jam or Voice chat through android?
(one user has PC integrated sound card only and it is not as good as on her android phone)

2. Do I need to set my server for my trio to exercise or how do I create my own session.

3. What was the smallest latency you could have gotten with live Voice Chat option in Ninjam?
(wondering if it is possible with ping around 4ms and 9Mbps optical connection to have a live duo rehearsal - until now the shortest latency in praxis was resulting around 500ms in other apps, which is of course to much, however with less than 100ms I would give it a try)

Thanks for answers!
W10 (64) Lenovo E540 - SSD; Lenovo B590; W7 (32), Compaq 610 (2.1Ghz core 2 duo, L2 cache, 2GB RAM); DPA 4018, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MTSC 64, Neumann mk184, AEA Ribbon 88mk, AKG SolidTUBE; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, recording merely live acoustic music.
urednik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 02:39 PM   #2
pljones

NINJAM's purpose isn't to do this.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....59#post2230659
pljones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 02:48 PM   #3
urednik

Quote:
Originally Posted by pljones View Post
I understand that, thanks.

But my questions are still there.
W10 (64) Lenovo E540 - SSD; Lenovo B590; W7 (32), Compaq 610 (2.1Ghz core 2 duo, L2 cache, 2GB RAM); DPA 4018, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MTSC 64, Neumann mk184, AEA Ribbon 88mk, AKG SolidTUBE; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, recording merely live acoustic music.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:40 AM   #4
pljones

Quote:
1. Is it possible to jam or Voice chat through android?
Android audio latency is pretty poor generally. Some Samsung devices allegedly are better. Basically not an option for jamming. If you meant "Is there an Android client for NINJAM?" then "I don't know and I wouldn't expect so". If you just want to voice chat with people, latency isn't an issue and there's loads of software you can use -- NINJAM isn't what you want.
Quote:
2. Do I need to set my server for my trio to exercise or how do I create my own session
If you want a private server, then someone will need to set one up and you'll need to know about it to use it. You can't create private sessions on the public servers. (Well, you can add "unpublished" rooms to any server - but unless you know someone who has done this and have the connection details, it doesn't help you.)

Again, for practice sessions, NINJAM really isn't appropriate due to the intervallic delay it uses to avoid latency aberrations.
Quote:
3. What was the smallest latency you could have gotten with live Voice Chat option in Ninjam?
Never used it. NINJAM isn't optimised for low latency in this sense, unlike other jamming software, because it doesn't work like that and does need to be. Hence I wouldn't expect it to be particularly good (i.e. it's probably not thinking about for jamming with as there are better options out there).

Last edited by pljones; 03-25-2020 at 01:52 AM.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:27 AM   #5
urednik

Thank you. Samsung Android latency (sound card) is btw way better than most Lenovo laptops that are in use ATM.
I will do some testing.
I need ninjam because of audio quality and recording out of the box. Can not use other sofware. The closest to the audio quality for now was (believe it or not) FB Messenger ...
Old 03-25-2020, 03:36 PM   #6
pljones

Quote:
Originally Posted by urednik View Post
Thank you. Samsung Android latency (sound card) is btw way better than most Lenovo laptops that are in use ATM.
I will do some testing.
I wouldn't consider using a built in sound card. ASIO4ALL improves things but only up to WDM standards. You're better getting a dedicated external soundcard. That will also vastly improve the audio quality.