Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 11-24-2019, 09:33 PM   #1
SEBA75
Human being with feelings

Default this will make Reaper 6 the best of them all (please read this developers)

Hey dear Reaper developers!

this is my definite wish-list for Reaper 6, not really controversial things, but huge improvement
and will take Reaper to another level:

- Better default file managing! Just make a folder with "audiofiles" "peaks" "backups" "bounces" already in there (or automatically creating when needed). Really, this is so basic and such a pity
to be the way it is. Scares away newcomers of the program and, sincerely, is just really bad.

-Really better up the "takes" funktion, or better yet, make a playlist function. If I have to make a lot of takes of the same instrument with "rhythmically non linear" material and the cuts all over in takes just make me mad! With a huge amount of takes it's the worst to work with. It must be easy to just copy the playlist functions and make something similar since it's clearly just a million times better.
I use this everyday, in so many different situations, just trust me on this one.

-Make possible rendering "wave & mp3* now, if possible even before the Reaper 6, it's extremely irritating to have to always make 2 renders in a row of the same material. Please, please, please...

-Make a possible "track & item group together" option. It's in my case 99% shure that I will use multimicing and using the items and tracks grouped, and I just have to make it all 2 times. Just make an option to link them together, I will have that on always and who don't like it have it of, easy.

There will be no need for other DAWs whan you have fixed this, please read this post and take it seriously, I have heard so many people talk about this, and I don't think there is any reason not to do any of the above improvements,

Best wishes and thank you for reading - Sebastian
SEBA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:01 PM   #2
Din

To be able to render Wav + Mp3 in just one render is a great idea!

For the while, you can at least use Render Queue so you don't have to be there waiting for one to finish to start the other.
Din is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:55 AM   #3
lokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEBA75 View Post
-Make possible rendering "wave & mp3* now, if possible even before the Reaper 6, it's extremely irritating to have to always make 2 renders in a row of the same material. Please, please, please...
One of the things I miss from Pro Tools

Last edited by lokey; 12-07-2019 at 10:15 AM.
lokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:56 AM   #4
EpicSounds

you don't need to render the mix twice for an mp3. just put the wav in the batch converter.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:25 AM   #5
bachstudies

Location: No longer using REAPER and no longer active in the forums.

On the wav+mp3 idea, Pyramix creates an image, be it 44.1/16 CD or something higher resolution to use as the template for the rest of the multi-encoder album publishing.

It is a more efficient method than the current render queue. Reaper could have an option to create the image at whatever quality then silently invoke the batch converter for the rest of the file production. Being able to save a preset for, say, FLAC 96/24 + WAV+cue 44.1/16 + MP3 320 would also be a great feature.
bachstudies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 02:18 PM   #6
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
you don't need to render the mix twice for an mp3. just put the wav in the batch converter.
Yeah, but that is still doing two actions, so not really any better than rendering twice. Being able to do this in one stroke without having to render twice or open up a separate window would be a big help to workflow. And not just WAV + MP3. Being able to do WAV + MP3 + MP4 video would be great as well and a huge timesaver.

Quote:
- Better default file managing! Just make a folder with "audiofiles" "peaks" "backups" "bounces" already in there (or automatically creating when needed). Really, this is so basic and such a pity
to be the way it is. Scares away newcomers of the program and, sincerely, is just really bad.
Huge +1 for this. I have the same folders for every project - Audio, Backup, Bounces, MIDI (for exported SMF MIDI files). There really should be a way to set custom folders for a project and make the paths relative so that the same folders can be used with any project based off of that template.

Quote:
Really better up the "takes" funktion, or better yet, make a playlist function. If I have to make a lot of takes of the same instrument with "rhythmically non linear" material and the cuts all over in takes just make me mad! With a huge amount of takes it's the worst to work with. It must be easy to just copy the playlist functions and make something similar since it's clearly just a million times better. I use this everyday, in so many different situations, just trust me on this one.
Quote:
Make a possible "track & item group together" option. It's in my case 99% shure that I will use multimicing and using the items and tracks grouped, and I just have to make it all 2 times. Just make an option to link them together, I will have that on always and who don't like it have it of, easy.
These two, playlists/track versions and item grouping linked to track grouping have been two of my biggest wishes since I started using Reaper. Sexan has done some clever scripting in this regard, but it really is high time this was implemented natively. There just isn't a good replacement for either of these and they are sorely needed in many users' day to day work. I was secretly hoping one or both of these would show up in V6 as they have been often requested, but fingers crossed both of these features will be considered by the developers.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:02 PM   #7
EpicSounds

Quote:
Yeah, but that is still doing two actions, so not really any better than rendering twice.
not true. rendering twice takes the length of time of two renders. And technically the mixes are not the same if you're using any verb or modulation or humanize in MIDI.

Converting a wav to mp3 only takes an extra 1 second, not minutes.
I suggested the batch tool because it's in reaper but there are many other drag and drop mp3 converters that would be even faster and save a few mouse clicks.
Old 12-07-2019, 03:16 PM   #8
Klangfarben

Quote:
Converting a wav to mp3 only takes an extra 1 second, not minutes. I suggested the batch tool because it's in reaper but there are many other drag and drop mp3 converters that would be even faster and save a few mouse clicks.
Sure, but again it is multiple steps. Nothing against the suggestion at all but multiple steps are multiple steps. The OP is asking for this in the same render step with one click. Totally agree with this especially for something as common as printing an additional mp3 reference for the client.
Old 12-07-2019, 03:45 PM   #9
lokey

Quote:
And technically the mixes are not the same if you're using any verb or modulation or humanize in MIDI.
I never really thought about this but you are correct. So do you only render a wav and then convert that wav to mp3 instead of rendering out of REAPER a wav and mp3?
lokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:56 PM   #10
synkrotron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokey View Post
So do you only render a wav and then convert that wav to mp3 instead of rendering out of REAPER a wav and mp3?
For what it is worth, and forgive me for sticking my nose in, I hardly ever render to MP3 nowadays.

SoundCloud allows the upload of lossless files and Bandcamp demands it.

If I do need an MP3 I open my WAV in Sound Forge and do the conversion from there.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:16 PM   #11
patriciocs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
. There really should be a way to set custom folders for a project and make the paths relative so that the same folders can be used with any project based off of that template.
There is it at least in Windows (perhaps in MacOS is the same). Just set d the defaults to ./Audio, ./Backups, etc. That will make what you are looking for.

Anyway I agree that it is a good idea that should be the default.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:45 PM   #12
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciocs View Post
There is it at least in Windows (perhaps in MacOS is the same). Just set d the defaults to ./Audio, ./Backups, etc. That will make what you are looking for.

Anyway I agree that it is a good idea that should be the default.
Yes, but you can't make custom folders. AFAIK, you have audio, backups and render. You can't make any additional ones for other things like SMF exports so you have to make them yourself every time. Also, I think the paths section of the prefs should include all paths, including backups for the sake of simplicity. It would be great to have a system where you could have assignable custom paths in the prefs - where you choose a command (export midi, batch file directory, etc.) and then set a custom relative folder path for those.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:59 PM   #13
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by synkrotron View Post
For what it is worth, and forgive me for sticking my nose in, I hardly ever render to MP3 nowadays.

SoundCloud allows the upload of lossless files and Bandcamp demands it.

If I do need an MP3 I open my WAV in Sound Forge and do the conversion from there.
Yeah, I wouldn't really ever as well but it sort of became a client delivery thing and is still used so I have to make one every time I print a cue. Jon is very right though that depending on settings, two renders won't be exactly the same. I think this should be treated the same way as rendering video. So for example, you check a box in the render window that says "convert to mp3, convert to mp4 video", etc. and then Reaper does the first render and then processes the mp3/mp4 right after the render.
Old 12-21-2019, 10:00 AM   #14
EpicSounds

Quote:
Just to follow up on this, I published a video on this yesterday

https://reaperblog.net/2019/12/batch-converter/