Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 09-27-2019, 09:53 AM   #1
ovitus
Human being with feelings

Default BUG: all VSTs copying from one track to another

I'm having an issue where all my FX will copy over from one track to another while working, has anyone experienced anything like this on the Linux version of Reaper?

This is the original thread I made over the issue:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....25#post2185925
ovitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:11 AM   #2
Glennbo

Not seeing anything like here, but from the description I read in the other thread it sounds more like your system believes a mouse key to be held or something. I'm running v5.983 and frequently have multiple FX windows open from different tracks at the same time.

That said, I use an Anker vertical mouse that seems to get a stuck left button not just in REAPER but in other things too like web browsers such that it is like I'm holding the left button down which causes dragging to happen. In my case I think it's because the buttons are more difficult to press sideways and I sometimes get a click that is messed up and sticks the mouse like I never let off the button.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 12:36 PM   #3
ovitus

Thanks for the reply. I don't think it is a hardware issue. I will test with a different PC setup with Linux installed to confirm.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:30 PM   #4
ovitus

Still fighting this. It happens on my other Linux computer as well. All of them Recent versions of Fedora XFCE spins. Seems to be happening mostly with U-he instruments and effects which is what I've been using primarily aside for EQ. I've tried switching multiple options around in Reaper Preferences with Plug-ins and VSTs.. it's the most annoying bug ever.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:37 PM   #5
JamesPeters

You said it happens in Windows too. I've never had this happen on multiple computers running Windows, different Linux distros, various versions of Reaper with different scripts and sometimes different shortcuts assigned and so on. Not once.

You said you're "99% sure" it's not your hardware causing this. Maybe it's a good time to see if you can make that 100%.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:54 PM   #6
ovitus

Never said I've tested it with Windows, I'm 100% Linux using Reaper. And the fact that I tested it on two computers with completely different hardware, proves that it's a bug in the program itself. I understand it's an experimental version of Reaper, but it's the only issue I've encountered so far that makes using Reaper on Linux irritating. If I'm the only one having this issue, it may be VSTs, or more specifically, the U-he plugins I'm using. Could also be my specific distribution of Fedora, XFCE, etc.

I could try deleting all Reaper shortcuts related to copying FX.. or test Debian and see if the issue is there.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:55 PM   #7
Glennbo

If it's happening on two different OSs then it's more likely a stuck key either on the mouse or keyboard. A spilled drink in a keyboard can hold a key down indefinitely but still allow most other keys to function normally.

I've also had mouse keys get flaky where they grab stuff I'm not grabbing. I'd try a different mouse and keyboard if you have access to them to see if one of them has a key problem.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:01 PM   #8
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovitus View Post
Never said I've tested it with Windows, I'm 100% Linux using Reaper. And the fact that I tested it on two computers with completely different hardware, proves that it's a bug in the program itself. I understand it's an experimental version of Reaper, but it's the only issue I've encountered so far that makes using Reaper on Linux irritating. If I'm the only one having this issue, it may be VSTs, or more specifically, the U-he plugins I'm using. Could also be my specific distribution of Fedora, XFCE, etc.

I could try deleting all Reaper shortcuts related to copying FX.. or test Debian and see if the issue is there.
Were the keyboard and mouse the same in the two tests?

One other thought comes to mind and that is that some key combinations are owned by XFCE and need to be unbound for proper functionality in REAPER. Seems like it was Alt/Click I had to unbind. There's a post in this group where I posed the question and Justin knew right away that it was a key and mouse combo that was assigned to do something else and needed to be set to nothing for REAPER to see the combination correctly.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:41 PM   #9
JamesPeters

I'd misread something about your other PC, conflating the info with someone else's post. Never mind about the Windows thing.

Anyway yeah check out your keyboard shortcuts. In Xubuntu, Mint Xfce and also MX Linux (all use Xfce) you can find them in the "Keyboard" and in the "Window Manager Tweaks" applications. In "Keyboard" it's under "application shorcuts" (which has lots of options) and in "Window Manager Tweaks" it's under "accessibility" (specifically "key to grab and move windows"). Check both those, and make sure nothing is mapped to a key that you don't want mapped.

Also check your keyboard configuration while you're in the "Keyboard" app. See that it's selected your keyboard specifically and if not, are any keys functioning differently from what you expect (Windows key working as Alt or something). I take it for granted that everyone setting up a computer always checks that their hardware was detected correctly and is using the right settings, so I didn't think about that until now. Maybe also check out the application "Mouse and Touchpad" to ensure your mouse is set up correctly.

You didn't mention how the effects are being moved, what you're doing when it happens. Two people have asked you on that thread how to replicate this (one was a Reaper developer). Don't expect a solution if no one else can replicate the problem. It's possible what Glen said was right, but if not, we're just taking stabs in the dark. Let us know what you're doing when it happens, exactly how you work. If someone can reproduce the problem, then it can be confirmed as a bug. If not, you're effectively on your own.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 10-10-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:07 PM   #10
Glennbo

This was the specific thing I had to do for the alt modifier key.

Issue xfce4-settings-manager in terminal
Click "settings editor"
Click xfwm4 channel
Change the value of easy_click from <alt> to nothing

May or may not have something to do with the OP issue, but it prolly needs this tweak for alt click to work properly.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:39 PM   #11
JamesPeters

I like having that assigned to a key, for resizing windows without having to grab an edge or corner accurately with the mouse cursor. That was an especially annoying thing to do on my first install of MX Linux. Edge/corner detection of windows with the mouse cursor was horrible. It's better now (maybe due to an update in Xfce or Compton, who knows) but I've grown to like having that function on a key. Left click plus "easy key" moves the window, right click plus "easy key" resizes (if it's near an edge it just grabs that edge to resize, but if it's remotely near a corner it'll allow resizing of the window as though you'd grabbed the corner).

I just don't want that assigned to the alt key. That's what I use the Windows key for now.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:44 PM   #12
Glennbo

I should prolly have mine assigned to something, but I cleared it a long time ago, and haven't missed, since I never used it, the original function. I'm pretty handy with my vertical mouse at grabbing the single pixel row hot spots.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:35 PM   #13
JamesPeters

Yeah actually I was noticing recently that despite having to get accustomed to the vertical mouse, and thinking it felt sloppy, now I'm more accurate with it than a normal mouse.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:16 AM   #14
ovitus

I uploaded an image of Reaper Preferences that minimize the problem. It's not a shortcut issue, it's a glitch. The "Bypass audio" option is especially annoying, it interrupts the audio for a split second whenever the FX window is opened.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reaper_settings.jpg (52.0 KB, 117 views)
Old 10-11-2019, 07:39 AM   #15
Glennbo

I would try doing a portable install, and then NOT change anything with any setting, put a bunch of stock REAPER plugins on some tracks and see if it still happens. If it doesn't, then one at a time I would set things like I usually run them, and test thoroughly before making the next change to see if some particular setting is what makes it happen on your system.

Nobody else is seeing this issue, so it is unique to your system, I'd still try a different mouse and a different keyboard to completely eliminate that as a possibility, but I have lots of those laying around.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:16 AM   #16
ovitus

Yeah I would do it in a systematic way, but sometimes changing more things gets results faster, I can narrow down on whichever option fixed it if that's the case..hopefully. Is there a way to default these options back to stock settings?
Old 10-11-2019, 09:20 AM   #17
JamesPeters

Glen actually just gave you the best advice for eliminating variables. You might not want to have a second install on your system but don't worry about it because it's portable and it doesn't affect anything. It stays all in one folder. And you absolutely must eliminate the keyboard and mouse as variables. You would not be the first person with a hardware problem of this particular nature. I can't find the threads but I know this kind of thing did happen years ago (not necessarily about moving plugins) and it was a stuck key on a particular keyboard.

I also disagree that changing a bunch of things at once is a good way of troubleshooting. I'm actually having trouble thinking of a time when something like that has given me a definitive answer.