Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 04-19-2016, 12:37 PM   #801
kerryg
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by -R- View Post
I'm just tryin'out the notation editor, I think it's going to be terrific.
However, what can you do if you use keyswitches? On the score it means random notes super high or super-low, which makes the editor unusable...

Is it possible to hide notes above or below a user-set treshold? If not, would dev' consider implementing it? Do you guys think it's a good idea? I think it's a must.
This is in fact a hotly discussed feature - you can already set a maximum number of ledger lines above and below to display, which is almost the same thing, but the end goal is to have keyswitches display as/triggered by specific notation events - staccato markings triggering the keyswitch for staccato samples, "pizz" triggering the key switch for pizzicato etc.
kerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:19 PM   #802
juliansader

Quote:
I'm just tryin'out the notation editor, I think it's going to be terrific.
However, what can you do if you use keyswitches? On the score it means random notes super high or super-low, which makes the editor unusable...

Is it possible to hide notes above or below a user-set treshold? If not, would dev' consider implementing it? Do you guys think it's a good idea? I think it's a must.
There is a "hide" option in the right-click context menu, which can be used to hide keyswitch notes.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:10 PM   #803
juliansader

While we are on the topic of hiding notes, just a reminder to the devs about the FRs for additional unhiding options: In the current version, the unhiding option permanently unhides *all* hidden notes, so if a user needs to correct a note that has been inadvertently hidden, the user has to unhide all notes, then search for, re-select and re-hide all notes that are supposed to be hidden.

If I remember correctly, two solutions were discussed:

- Simple solution: A new "Unhide selected notes" Action with which the wrongly hidden notes can be unhidden in the piano roll.

- More complex solution: In addition to the aforementioned new action, also a "Toggle show/hide hidden notes" option to temporarily show hidden notes in the notation view, so that they can be viewed and edited in the notation view itself, and their hidden status changed where necessary.

Last edited by juliansader; 04-19-2016 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:08 AM   #804
sebas777

One super handy feature (from Overture, back in the ancient Opcode days!) is the "notate as..." command. I would be happy, if the concept was at least started in the first Reaper version (to not get forgotten).

Possible uses of the "notate as..." could include:

+ glissando (and other quick scalar runs)
+ tuplets (or in general: forcing rhythms)
+ arpeggio, upward/downward strum (forcing display/and or playback)
+ grace note/groups of grace notes (to simplify the display)

+ trills (and other embellishments in the recorded midi)
+ tremolo/tremolandi

plus a toggle option (a default value when creating these new objects):

V "only for display/also apply to the midi item (deleting/modifying data)."
sebas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:15 AM   #805
hamish

Sebas777, Did you read this thread?

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=173406

Maybe worth re-posting there. Get all the ideas in one place.
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:07 AM   #806
-R-

For those interested in hiding notes : the filter window can be used exactly for that purpose! Now, if we could have the notes hidden in the notation editor and shown in the piano roll, that would be even better, but it's totally usable as it is.

Amazing, I thought we would never see a notation editor. Reaper is really the king for me, now...
-R- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:16 AM   #807
hamish

Quote:
Now, if we could have the notes hidden in the notation editor and shown in the piano roll, that would be even better, but it's totally usable as it is.
You can. Just don't use the filter, use the 'Hide notes' attribute in the Notation editor.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:31 AM   #808
snooks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish View Post
Sebas777, Did you read this thread?

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=173406

Maybe worth re-posting there. Get all the ideas in one place.
The other half of that is notating live played or otherwise existing notes though.

Although an ornament is useful for mousing in a score, it lacks funtionality by itself for anything else. A plugin would need more info to play it and without being able to hide notes it's superfluous for notating existing notes.

So selecting a group of notes and having a "Notate as.." would be great. Being able to select which notes are visible would be essential too, since the note played at the beginning is not always the note shown on the score.

That could be done with just having the ability to hide individual notes and variable display quantize too. "Notate as" sounds more automagical and cool though.
snooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 05:24 PM   #809
hamish

Ok, looks like I forgot to say +1 for 'notate as..' Definitely would be great for notating trills and arpeggios.

Still think it might be useful to post on the 'Notation editor and special MIDI handling'. Even that thread currently has mainly discussed Special Notation ==> MIDI.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:56 PM   #810
juliansader

A few thoughts regarding staccato and staccatissimo...

At present, most of the articulations, ornaments and dynamics in the notation view (such as trills, mordents, accents, diminuendos etc) are not reflected in the underlying MIDI, and will probably be handled by scripts or plugins.

On the other hand, the notation view does accurately represent three of the properties of the underlying MIDI notes, namely pitch and (if we ignore the effects of quantization) also the time position and duration.

The staccato and staccatissimo articulations are caught in the middle: they are notation symbols, but they also indicate note duration. At present, staccato/staccatissimo notes, unlike other notes, do not accurately reflect the duration of the underlying MIDI notes.

My question is therefore: should the interpretation of staccato and staccatissimo be left to script/plugins, or should the notation view itself interpret these articulations?

I think it may be useful to let the notation view itself do some *basic* interpretation. (Scripts and plugins will still be able to do additional, user-customized interpretations to distinguish between different kinds of staccato.)

Perhaps REAPER can follow the standard that staccato means "note sustained for half the written length", and staccatissimo means "note sustained for quarter the written length". Then, when a staccato or staccatissimo articulation is added to a note, the *notation* displayed note length changes, either doubling or quadrupling, while the underlying MIDI stays the same. I.e. an eighth note changes to a staccato quarter note, or to a staccatissimo half note. The notation displayed length will therefore still reflect the actual duration of the MIDI note.

Any quantization options can still apply to the staccato and staccatissimo notes.

As an example, if a part with lots of staccato quarter notes is played live on a MIDI keyboard, these staccato notes will be displayed as eighth notes when the MIDI file is first imported. The user then selects these notes and -- without having to change any MIDI -- adds the staccato articulations, and the notes are now displayed as staccato quarter notes.

Last edited by juliansader; 04-22-2016 at 02:45 AM.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:42 AM   #811
JesterMusician

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
A few thoughts regarding staccato and staccatissimo...
Perhaps REAPER can follow the standard that staccato means "note sustained for half the written length", and staccatissimo means "note sustained for quarter the written length". Then, when a staccato or staccatissimo articulation is added to a note, the *notation* displayed note length changes, either doubling or quadrupling, while the underlying MIDI stays the same. I.e. an eighth note changes to a staccato quarter note, or to a staccatissimo half note. The notation displayed length will therefore still reflect the actual duration of the MIDI note.

Any quantization options can still apply to the staccato and staccatissimo notes.

As an example, if a part with lots of staccato quarter notes is played live on a MIDI keyboard, these staccato notes will be displayed as eighth notes when the MIDI file is first imported. The user then selects these notes and -- without having to change any MIDI -- adds the staccato articulations, and the notes are now displayed as staccato quarter notes.
How about a more general function - the ability to override the notated duration? This would allow any undesired display quantization to be manually fixed, while staccato and staccatissimo articulations can still be used as liberally as before.

For example, MuseScore's piano (among other instruments) exports a whole note as 95% the full duration, but it appears as a series of tied notes summing to 15 sixteenths, since 0.95 is closer to 15/16 than 16/16.
JesterMusician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:42 AM   #812
ReaDim

Default Rests overlaps with different voice notes

Automatically added rests in some cases overlap some notes. I think in this cases the rests shold move up or down to free up the note from different voice.
Thanks!
Notation editor: don't draw tuplet rests if they would collide with other notes. But it doesn't work. A note and a rest from different voices still collide in 5.20beta5...
Attached Images
File Type: gif Auto pause overlap.gif (39.8 KB, 303 views)

Last edited by ReaDim; 04-23-2016 at 11:28 PM.
ReaDim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 01:40 AM   #813
JoPiano

Default Splitpoint

Is there a possibility to set an individual/variable splitpoint for piano scores?
JoPiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 01:49 AM   #814
Victor_M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDim View Post
Automatically added rests in some cases overlap some notes. I think in this cases the rests shold move up or down to free up the note from different voice.
Thanks!
Notation editor: don't draw tuplet rests if they would collide with other notes. But it doesn't work. A note and a rest from different voices still collide in 5.20beta5...
Yes, indeed! +1
Victor_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:02 PM   #815
ed209

Does anyone know if this is possible with the current feature set (5.20beta5):

Let's say I have five consecutive eight notes. Now for some reason I want them to be five consecutive sixteenth notes. Or maybe five consecutive quarter notes.

How can I do that right now?

Let's say I have five non-consecutive eight notes. Now for some reason I want them to be five consecutive sixteenth notes. Or maybe five consecutive quarter notes.

How can I do this right now?
Old 04-24-2016, 12:14 PM   #816
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed209 View Post
Does anyone know if this is possible with the current feature set (5.20beta5):

Let's say I have five consecutive eight notes. Now for some reason I want them to be five consecutive sixteenth notes. Or maybe five consecutive quarter notes.

How can I do that right now?
Easy: Select them, place the mouse on the edge of any of the notes, use alt-drag to stretch. (Remember grid settings.) Know thy mouse modifiers!

Quote:
Let's say I have five non-consecutive eight notes. Now for some reason I want them to be five consecutive sixteenth notes. Or maybe five consecutive quarter notes.

How can I do this right now?
What are in-between the non-consecutive notes?
Old 04-24-2016, 03:08 PM   #817
ed209

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
Easy: Select them, place the mouse on the edge of any of the notes, use alt-drag to stretch. (Remember grid settings.) Know thy mouse modifiers!

What are in-between the non-consecutive notes?
Very nice never heard of that commandment but sounds sound haha

About the non-consecutive notes, well, if there are rests in between some of the notes or different note values or whatever - I want them in straight sixteenth. Possible? I mean possible in a one or two shot operation?
Old 04-26-2016, 01:38 PM   #818
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed209 View Post
Very nice never heard of that commandment but sounds sound haha

About the non-consecutive notes, well, if there are rests in between some of the notes or different note values or whatever - I want them in straight sixteenth. Possible? I mean possible in a one or two shot operation?
If the notes and their spacing are reasonably regular, you can use one of the Arpeggiate mouse actions to move the notes together. Then stretch using alt-drag. The 'legato' arpeggiate will even stretch your notes on the fly to make them consecutive.

N.B. The Arpeggiate actions have not yet been enabled in the notation view, so you will need to go to piano roll.

If the notes and their spacing are more irregular, there are various other Actions that may be useful, but as far as I know there is not a one-click Action in the notation editor for "Move all selected notes into consecutive positions and stretch to equal note lengths of 16th". But its easy to write a simple script to accomplish this. The following script collapses the notes to the length of the first selected note, and then one can stretch to whatever desired length.

Code:
take = reaper.MIDIEditor_GetTake(reaper.MIDIEditor_GetActive())

reaper.MIDI_Sort(take)

noteIndex = reaper.MIDI_EnumSelNotes(take, -1)
if noteIndex ~= -1 then
    reaper.Undo_BeginBlock()

_, _, _, firstNoteStartPPQ, firstNoteEndPPQ, _, _, _ = reaper.MIDI_GetNote(take, noteIndex)
    noteLength = firstNoteEndPPQ - firstNoteStartPPQ

count = 1
    noteIndex = reaper.MIDI_EnumSelNotes(take, noteIndex)
    while(noteIndex ~= -1) do        
        reaper.MIDI_SetNote(take, noteIndex, nil, nil, firstNoteStartPPQ+count*noteLength, firstNoteStartPPQ+(count+1)*noteLength, nil, nil, nil, true)                
        noteIndex = reaper.MIDI_EnumSelNotes(take, noteIndex)
        count = count + 1
    end

reaper.MIDI_Sort(take)      
    reaper.Undo_EndBlock("Collapse notes and set to equal duration", -1)

end -- if noteIndex ~= -1
Old 04-26-2016, 01:54 PM   #819
juliansader

Feature request for the "Beam notes together" Action:

If notes from multiple measures are selected, the Action should be applied to each measure separately.

For example, if a rhythm guitar plays a 3-3-2 pattern (in 4/4 time) for 20 measures, and the user wants to change the beaming in all 20 measures, it would be helpful if the user could use the built-in Filter to select the first 3 eighth notes in each of the 20 measures, and then apply "Beam notes together" once to set the beaming in all the measures.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:00 PM   #820
juliansader

EDIT: Moved to the scripting forum, since the problem seems to be more general than just with "Beam notes together".

Last edited by juliansader; 04-27-2016 at 01:07 AM.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:59 PM   #821
Zblogny

Default Entering notes with mouse : Palette ?

Bonjour,
Can we expect something like a palette, where one would pick up note value and then lay down in the score ? I miss it a lot...
Merci !
Zblogny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:55 AM   #822
EvilDragon

You can make a toolbar for that.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:19 PM   #823
hamish

Default MusicXML related workflow scenario/case study/conversation starter.

Without having fully read over the capabilities of MusicXML I may well have some misconceptions, and that's the point to this post.

My workflow with will likely involve export to MuseScore via MusicXML, and Schwa has pointed out that MuseScore import does not read layout x,y position modifications to glyphs and symbols such as articulations. However this will likely not worry me too much.

So, consider this simplified and idealized (or do I mean naive? ) production case study and please comment or question.

- Recorded multitracked audio and MIDI to click. Bass audio, keys MIDI + audio, drums MIDI, Vox audio, Gtr audio.

- Music performances are 96% perfect, and groove is excellent, just the odd mis-triggerd drum hit or bass glitch.

- With the correct clefs and key signatures set, and appropriate (per track) display quantization plus any required spot edits, the notation display in REAPER looks like a score. (bass and vox MIDI sequences have been created with Audio=>MIDI plugins). The performance is mixed to desired audio formats.

- The notation is exported as MusicXML files, and imported to MuseScore.

- All clefs, key signatures, note lengths and beaming are the same as the REAPER notation view, and then in MuseScore exact page layout, fingerings, margins, titling etc. are made and pdfs are exported from MuseScore.

- Band has audio tracks and exact scores of all parts for publishing.

Last edited by hamish; 05-03-2016 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:38 AM   #824
JesterMusician

This might be too prescriptive, but best practice says a beat consisting of 16th, 8th, 16th should be notated as such instead of 16th, 16th tied to 16th, 16th. (See page 171 of Behind Bars by Elaine Gould).

JesterMusician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:59 AM   #825
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterMusician View Post
This might be too prescriptive, but best practice says a beat consisting of 16th, 8th, 16th should be notated as such instead of 16th, 16th tied to 16th, 16th. (See page 171 of Behind Bars by Elaine Gould).
That is why a "Minimize ties" option was included.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:09 AM   #826
schwa
Administrator

Previous builds did have a whole code section of special handling for exactly the rhythm pattern exceptions listed there. This was removed in pre27 with the comment "this may be too clever for its own good."
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:13 AM   #827
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish View Post
All clefs, key signatures, note lengths and beaming are the same as the REAPER notation view
Yes, this should be the case. In addition, voicing, dynamics, lyrics, articulation, and ornaments should be preserved.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:09 AM   #828
Indirect

Maybe it is possible to implement smooth scrolling animation, instead of skipping pages? That way is much more intuitive, like paper (arrange view does that, why notation view can't??!).
Also, I use scroll left, right, up, down actions in my workflow. In midi editor they scroll too much (pages basically), in notation view way too little (even at unreadable zoom out it scrolls too slow).
Indirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:08 AM   #829
sebas777

Default 8va marking demo :)

http://giphy.com/gifs/logic-score-vi...0pBpdr1GN6Sugo

The promised demo of 8va/15ma/8va bassa in action (from Logic PC).

First I press "H" to open the score window docker. Here we can see the palettes. Buttons on the top are used to select a palette that is shown below. (Unique twist: previously opened palettes are also kept open if there is screen space, they just move down).

The Clef Palette holds all the markings we need (8va, 15ma, 8vb, 15mb).
I apply the marking by drag&drop. Then I can change the area affected by it, or select it and delete it (click, delete = like a normal item).

=========
What is also nice about this solution (which looks very Reaperish btw):

+ the H shortcut opens/hides the left docker
+ depending on the window the docker contains different toolbars/parameter boxes. In the score window it contains palettes, display parameters and data for selected notes/objects (or insert defaults if nothing is selected). All this can be immediately edited, without any menu meandering, because the parameter boxes are linked to selection .

+ the parameter boxes display a lot of data, while they have a very small footprint. They also make editing of single and multiple objects very easy.

+ double clicking any of the main palette buttons, opens a palette as a floating window.

+++ it is very easy to learn! (and is touch screen friendly, too)

One thing I remember from other notation programs, that would be very handy, is applying markings to selection by clicking a button within a toolbar (and removing them the same way (toggle-style), ex. staccato, accents, lines etc.

Last edited by sebas777; 05-05-2016 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:31 PM   #830
Oberheim

I have idea for:

1. Option to see colored staff background, color will be same as track, or custom color. With options to make it less or more transparent (for dark colors). It is good for score with many staff (big orchestra). It help easily make difference between sections and instruments.

And maybe option to show track name in background.

2. Display notes for all midi channels, when adding notes in selected channel. But displayed notes in other channels will be greyed. For midi notes in piano-roll too.
(I think, I post this feature in past, then I apologize)
Oberheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:15 PM   #831
hamish

FR: Option: 'Don't highlight time selection in Notation view'

anyone with me?
Old 05-04-2016, 09:14 PM   #832
memyselfandus

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Previous builds did have a whole code section of special handling for exactly the rhythm pattern exceptions listed there. This was removed in pre27 with the comment "this may be too clever for its own good."
This would be a very useful option to have back. Maybe a set actions or something?
memyselfandus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:41 AM   #833
planetnine

Schwa:

I "note" that the MIDI note name/number display box is still displaying incorrect values when display transposition is in effect.
ie with display transposition, middle C (displayed) will not be MIDI note 60.

Initial suggestion posts in Pre33 (and Pre35) threads.

I know you added the display semitone transposition number under the clef, thank you -it is a great and an important and arguably necessary indication, but the box is still (technically) displaying incorrect information in this instance as the note displayed won't correspond to the MIDI note shown when output to VSTi or MIDI out.

Can I take it that this is something you don't want to alter until a mapping table for MIDI notes is developed (ie for percussion notation etc) as the code will be extensively revised for this box then?

I've posted here to avoid cluttering up the RC2 thread as it's obviously something you don't want to implement in 5.20 -I still think it's important, but I wondered if this was the reason.

Of course this box and what it displays will become more essential once percussion notation is developed, as this is an extreme/extended version of display transposition.

Please consider this, I think it's important. Thanks for your time.

>
Old 05-05-2016, 04:06 AM   #834
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by memyselfandus View Post
This would be a very useful option to have back. Maybe a set actions or something?
We can re-introduce this feature for 5.21.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:14 AM   #835
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
the note displayed won't correspond to the MIDI note shown when output to VSTi or MIDI out.
It seems more consistent to have the text display match the staff display. If you have chosen to transpose the staff for an Eb instrument, doesn't that mean you prefer to see a concert C displayed as Eb?
Old 05-05-2016, 06:36 AM   #836
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
It seems more consistent to have the text display match the staff display. If you have chosen to transpose the staff for an Eb instrument, doesn't that mean you prefer to see a concert C displayed as Eb?

No Schwa, not what I'm suggesting. With that 3 semitone display transposition the (concert) Eb is a C in the notation and should be displayed as such in the box, but it would be good to see that this C4 plays MIDI note 63 instead of the (incorrect) 60, eg: C4 63[T-3]

This is to clarify the actual MIDI note played.

Does this make sense? The above format is a suggestion to show that C4 is only mapped to MIDI 63 because of the display transposition. Mouse over to a different row with a different DT and it will show that mapping and transposition.

This could (should) be extended once percussion notation is relaunched to show the source MIDI note mapped to the stave lines.

>

Last edited by planetnine; 05-05-2016 at 06:44 AM.
planetnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:54 AM   #837
schwa
Administrator

Ah, I see. Yes, that seems fine.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:05 AM   #838
planetnine

Sorry if my earlier attempts to explain weren't very clear.

As someone who is very interested in the post-5.20 progression of the stave-mapping, percussion notation side of things, I'd realised that the box would need some revision at a future date and had presumed that was why you'd not "corrected" it at this stage.

Anyway, thanks for looking into it.

>
Old 05-05-2016, 06:34 PM   #839
sebas777

Missing feature alert 8O! :

step midi entry.

1) using the computer keyboard only (rhythmic values + pitches)
2) mix of computer keyboard and midi, (...pitches are selected on the midi keyboard)
3) midi only (both rhythmic values and pitches selected by midi).

For the notation window a fairly standard implementation is really needed (Sibelius, MuseScore, Finale, Sonar and of course Logic all have quite good methods)

Example1: switching rhythmic values with computer keyboard shortcuts, switching to higher/lower rhythmic value by one of two keycommands, toggle add a dot, chord input, a tie (elongate the note), triplets on/off for current note value, start a tuplet group. Pitches are selected by pressing alphabet keys (A, B, C etc.), octaves changed by ctrl+up/down arrows. Rests are inserted by pressing space. Of course there are also shortcuts for semitonal transposition and for enharmonic notation. Backspace or delete or ctrl+Z to undo a note.

Example2: rhythmic values as in ex.1 Pitches are played with a midi keyboard.
Chords are identified by pressing the sustain(hold) pedal and then playing the notes. Rests are recorded by pressing and releasing the sustain pedal.

Example3: one octave (highest or lowest) is used for switching rhythm values etc.

This mode is very useful not only for step recording, but also for editing already recorded midi data (for instance to quickly change the pitch of a selected note, or its rhythmic value only). To edit, you enter the mode, then select a note, then play the new pitch or adjust the rhythm value.

Last edited by sebas777; 05-06-2016 at 08:07 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:23 AM   #840
Victor_M

Really, this important feature is missing. Accidentally discovered. I decided to try, but it does not work. Although this item ("Use all MIDI inputs for step recording") exists in a menu...
Victor_M is offline   Reply With Quote