Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 05-29-2022, 12:28 PM   #41
odedd
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey72 View Post
Here's a pre-release to try out. The way to make this work in WALTER involves using graphics with slightly different dimensions to swap out behaviors (so that the width slider can become a pan slider in dual pan mode), so there are some very subtle positioning and width changes as you move between pan modes. My OCD can live with it so far -- can yours?
Works great! Thank you very much.

Master track at the MCP also seems fine to me.
odedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 12:42 PM   #42
ts335

I’m on Windows 10. I’ll try on a clean install tonight to see if there is something else that could cause the width oddity on the MCP master fader if you’re not seeing it on your windows install. Not a huge deal but odd that it’s different.

Edit - Tested on a fresh install of Windows 11 and new/clean install of Reaper and I still get the same pan control graphic on the Master in the MCP as in the screen grab. It does work properly in the Master Track on the TCP.

Not sure what else I can provide and it's not a big deal as I never change that on the Master. It's just not consistent here.

Last edited by ts335; 05-29-2022 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Updated info
ts335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 10:03 PM   #43
sockmonkey72

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts335 View Post
I’m on Windows 10. I’ll try on a clean install tonight to see if there is something else that could cause the width oddity on the MCP master fader if you’re not seeing it on your windows install. Not a huge deal but odd that it’s different.

Edit - Tested on a fresh install of Windows 11 and new/clean install of Reaper and I still get the same pan control graphic on the Master in the MCP as in the screen grab. It does work properly in the Master Track on the TCP.

Not sure what else I can provide and it's not a big deal as I never change that on the Master. It's just not consistent here.
Thanks for going to the trouble. What's your Windows display magnification set to? Or whatever that systemwide scaling setting is called, I am not in front of my computer right now.
Old 05-29-2022, 11:57 PM   #44
sockmonkey72

Updated the pre-release link to this version (v1.1.5-beta.2), which fixes an issue with the TCP master pan control.

I still cannot reproduce an error in stereo balance/mono pan mode on MCP master, so if anyone can figure out what REAPER or system setting causes it, let me know...
Old 05-30-2022, 12:20 AM   #45
paaltio

Thanks for continuing the work on this!

My only issue with this theme has been that it doesn't have the "drag from TCP to add routing" feature of the default theme. Is that something that can be added easily?

Also, I love the "elementary" layout for the TCP, but I wish it still showed the additional controls when zooming vertically like the original theme.
paaltio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 12:27 AM   #46
sockmonkey72

Quote:
Originally Posted by paaltio View Post
Thanks for continuing the work on this!

My only issue with this theme has been that it doesn't have the "drag from TCP to add routing" feature of the default theme. Is that something that can be added easily?
You mean dragging from the routing button of one track to another track to create a send? This works for me. Or am I misunderstanding?

Quote:
Also, I love the "elementary" layout for the TCP, but I wish it still showed the additional controls when zooming vertically like the original theme.
So you like the simple volume, track name label, mute/solo at the top, but want the other stuff when the track is high enough? I can think about it. There's kind of an infinity of potential layouts, which makes it difficult to prioritize what would be most useful... Noted!
Old 05-30-2022, 05:02 AM   #47
sockmonkey72

Quote:

I could reproduce on my normal-definition monitor in my studio. Fix is here, at least for me. :-)
Old 05-30-2022, 10:21 AM   #48
ts335

Hey Thanks Sockmonkey - that fixed it. I'm running an Intel i7-7700K CPU with onboard Intel HD Graphics 630. 1920 x 1080 resolution. It's Windows 10 Pro version 21H1.

I remember someone else showing dark red in the MCP Master meter panel. Wonder if it's the same sort of thing?

Anyway, thanks for the fix. It is much appreciated.
<<TS>>
Old 05-30-2022, 11:34 AM   #49
paaltio

Quote:
You mean dragging from the routing button of one track to another track to create a send? This works for me. Or am I misunderstanding?
Oops sorry, looks like I got confused by the mouse cursor not changing immediately when I start dragging! But that is indeed how the default theme works as well (changes only after it's on top of another track), so not sure why I expected this to work differently. Seems to work okay then, thanks!

Quote:
So you like the simple volume, track name label, mute/solo at the top, but want the other stuff when the track is high enough? I can think about it. There's kind of an infinity of potential layouts, which makes it difficult to prioritize what would be most useful... Noted!
Yes I almost always use the minimum track height so I can see more of my arrangement at the same time, and love having a really simple TCP that keeps the clutter to a minimum (rec is auto enabled etc. so I only really need to see the name). But would be nice to get to the controls somehow still.
paaltio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 03:27 PM   #50
Rockum

Sorry for what is likely a newbie question, but some themes I use show the send volumes on the track panels and this one doesn't. Is there a way to turn them on or add them for this theme?
Rockum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 09:07 PM   #51
sockmonkey72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockum View Post
Sorry for what is likely a newbie question, but some themes I use show the send volumes on the track panels and this one doesn't. Is there a way to turn them on or add them for this theme?
This here?:

Old 06-05-2022, 07:43 PM   #52
Rockum

Interesting. The skin I had been using has visible send knobs even when they are unassigned.
Rockum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 10:10 AM   #53
sockmonkey72

I have heard back from Ice Cold Milk, who gives his blessing for further work on his theme. He also stated that it's unlikely that he'll be doing any more work on it in the future.

So a big applause to Ice Cold Milk for his inspiring work, onward and upward!
Old 06-20-2022, 06:30 PM   #54
ts335

This is good news and thanks to Ice Cold Milk for getting things started. This is now my goto theme and I'm using it every day. Clean, clear, and simple. Very usable. Thanks for your on-going efforts.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:29 AM   #55
ReaStutter

Hi! I'm just curious if v1.1.5-beta.3 is the final version, as it's not been updated for over a month? I'm still at 1.1.4 and really happy with it, so haven't feel like updating to the beta versions. But if it is the final v, then I'll try it.
ReaStutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 12:35 PM   #56
sockmonkey72

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaStutter View Post
Hi! I'm just curious if v1.1.5-beta.3 is the final version, as it's not been updated for over a month? I'm still at 1.1.4 and really happy with it, so haven't feel like updating to the beta versions. But if it is the final v, then I'll try it.
I forgot to make a "release" version, I'll do that tomorrow. But it will be exactly the same as v1.1.5-beta.3, which has been working great as my everyday theme.

DONE: https://github.com/jeremybernstein/R...eases/tag/v1.5

Last edited by sockmonkey72; 07-01-2022 at 02:09 AM.
sockmonkey72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 03:28 PM   #57
ReaStutter

Quote:
I forgot to make a "release" version, I'll do that tomorrow. But it will be exactly the same as v1.1.5-beta.3, which has been working great as my everyday theme.

DONE: https://github.com/jeremybernstein/R...eases/tag/v1.5
Superb! Really appreciate the mod work. It's a beauty!
ReaStutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 12:26 AM   #58
sockmonkey72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockum View Post
I also would like the color to affect the whole track even when not selected. Could the track title have a very dark or black background with white text when not selected and a white background with black text when selected? Or leave it as it is and flip the background and text when selected.

I would be happy to change it myself but that is one of the rtconfig.txt settings I don't know how to do.
This isn't so easy to do, because REAPER prefs override theme-specified label background colors. Here's a different approach, as an idea.

Unselected track labels are smaller than selected track labels. Also, I've added the 'colorsmart' red-tint for record-enabled tracks. I personally think this is not bad, but YMMV.

I think that making the track title _dark_ when unselected is not a good solution, as it compromises the legibility of your track names: you (IMO) need to see what's what at a glance, even if it's not selected.

Anyway, let me know what you think about this.
Old 07-17-2022, 05:59 PM   #59
karlingen

Any plans on making this retina supported? Currently, some elements are a bit blurry and not as crisp as other elements
karlingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 11:46 PM   #60
sockmonkey72

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlingen View Post
Any plans on making this retina supported? Currently, some elements are a bit blurry and not as crisp as other elements
I'm also on a Retina display and the blurriness bugs me sometimes.

I don't have the original graphics files, so any attempt to do this would either require a very good bitmap -> vector conversion in order to get new high resolution versions of everything to use for downsampling, or a complete rebuild.

I can ask Ice Cold Milk if he has high-resolution originals, though. If he does, maybe it would be possible. Completely rebuilding the graphics would involve more time, energy and talent than I have at my disposal.
Old 07-18-2022, 05:33 AM   #61
sockmonkey72

Just pushed v1.5.1-beta.1 with some minor changes:
  • unselected tracks use a smaller label font than selected tracks
  • armed tracks have a red label color
  • improve some default colors for item and group selection (+dev support)
Old 07-18-2022, 03:04 PM   #62
ts335

I prefer the previous version. I like the fonts staying white and only changing size with the scaling of the TCP. I don't need the red font alerting me to being in record mode when I have the record button there to let me know which tracks are armed. Likewise, the tracks that are selected are already highlighted - I know some wanted the tracks to be permanently highlighted but this theme doesn't need that in my opinion.

Appreciate your work on this but I'll stay with the previous version.
<<TS>>
Old 07-18-2022, 03:06 PM   #63
sockmonkey72

Quote:
I prefer the previous version. I like the fonts staying white and only changing size with the scaling of the TCP. I don't need the red font alerting me to being in record mode when I have the record button there to let me know which tracks are armed. Likewise, the tracks that are selected are already highlighted - I know some wanted the tracks to be permanently highlighted but this theme doesn't need that in my opinion.

Appreciate your work on this but I'll stay with the previous version.
<<TS>>
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure if I like it better or worse yet, but thought I'd post it for people to try.

The color improvements for the track groups in +dev are useful, but you can do them yourself if you need 'em.
Old 07-19-2022, 05:17 AM   #64
New Aquarius

I'd like to echo that I don't prefer the red text in record armed mode.
New Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 05:31 AM   #65
sockmonkey72

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Aquarius View Post
I'd like to echo that I don't prefer the red text in record armed mode.
Thanks, appreciate the feedback. I'll probably revert those changes unless a bunch of people chime in and love it. This is why we have pre-releases. :-)
Old 07-20-2022, 09:39 PM   #66
dasherma

Quote:
Thanks, appreciate the feedback. I'll probably revert those changes unless a bunch of people chime in and love it. This is why we have pre-releases. :-)
I do like red text in record armed mode. For me, it makes it very easy to see what's happening.
dasherma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 04:43 PM   #67
krahosk

Excellent theme. I use it everyday.
Some track list elements are barely visible in daylight.
Would it be possible to increase the contrast in the color box, target and track item lock so that its off state is visible?

krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 11:04 PM   #68
sockmonkey72

Quote:
Originally Posted by krahosk View Post
Excellent theme. I use it everyday.
Some track list elements are barely visible in daylight.
Would it be possible to increase the contrast in the color box, target and track item lock so that its off state is visible?

Sorry to be dense: what window is that?

EDIT: got it now. track list pane in the MIDI editor.

Last edited by sockmonkey72; 07-22-2022 at 12:57 AM.
sockmonkey72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 02:31 AM   #69
sockmonkey72

New beta release v1.5.1-beta.2
  • revert font size change on select from -beta.1
  • add new layouts for red-tinted label, improve label appearance in that case
  • improve tracklist (MIDI Editor) icon contrast/appearance
Old 07-22-2022, 07:42 AM   #70
krahosk

Quote:
New beta release v1.5.1-beta.2
  • revert font size change on select from -beta.1
  • add new layouts for red-tinted label, improve label appearance in that case
  • improve tracklist (MIDI Editor) icon contrast/appearance
I have a problem with your update. When I install it initially, it works, but when I change the theme and go back to it, I get Reaper's 6 default.
Your previous version does not do that.
In my theme collection, four themes do that bug: Neptune, Flat Madness and LCS Flat-6 are the others.
I'm on Linux.
I'm posting this bug in the Linux sub-forum to check if other users get that too.
Old 07-22-2022, 07:52 AM   #71
sockmonkey72

Quote:
Originally Posted by krahosk View Post
I have a problem with your update....
Your previous version does not do that.
I can take a look, not sure what would have changed.

Quote:
In my theme collection, four themes do that bug: Neptune, Flat Madness and LCS Flat-6 are the others.
I'm on Linux.
At least I am in high quality company. I am not on Linux, although I can test in a VM if it turns out to be a Linux-specific problem.
Old 07-22-2022, 08:09 AM   #72
krahosk

Quote:
I can take a look, not sure what would have changed.
Thank you for your response. If you are interested, you can take a look here for eventual feedback:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=268969
Old 07-31-2022, 02:46 PM   #73
ts335

Hey - been using 1.5.1 Beta 2 and everything is looking good. I'm not using the red label layouts but it's good to have them for those who like that. This is now my goto theme for everything! Thanks and keep up the great work.
Old 07-31-2022, 03:08 PM   #74
karlingen

Quote:
I'm also on a Retina display and the blurriness bugs me sometimes.

I don't have the original graphics files, so any attempt to do this would either require a very good bitmap -> vector conversion in order to get new high resolution versions of everything to use for downsampling, or a complete rebuild.

I can ask Ice Cold Milk if he has high-resolution originals, though. If he does, maybe it would be possible. Completely rebuilding the graphics would involve more time, energy and talent than I have at my disposal.
Please let me know if you hear anything from Ice Cold Milk. Otherwise, I might be able to help with the bitmap -> vector conversion, though my time is also very limited
karlingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 01:47 AM   #75
Bombs'n'Away

Thanks for these mods! I actually like the original theme a tad better at first sight, but since I would like to ask for further modifications, I guess it's more adequate to to do so right here:

I cannot stand the blue meters & FX enabled buttons. Could these be made green (FX button) and green, yellow, red (meters) somehow?
Bombs'n'Away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 04:52 AM   #76
sockmonkey72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombs'n'Away View Post
Thanks for these mods! I actually like the original theme a tad better at first sight, but since I would like to ask for further modifications, I guess it's more adequate to to do so right here:

I cannot stand the blue meters & FX enabled buttons. Could these be made green (FX button) and green, yellow, red (meters) somehow?
Glad you like the theme, even if you don't like my mods! Those FX buttons, etc. are all graphics elements inside of the theme bundle. Rename the .ReaperThemeZip to .zip, unpack it and then you can edit/replace the elements as you like. For instance, the track FX buttons are:

track_fx_dis.png
track_fx_empty.png
track_fx_in_empty.png
track_fx_in_norm.png
track_fx_norm.png
track_fxempty_h.png
track_fxempty_v.png
track_fxoff_h.png
track_fxoff_v.png
track_fxon_h.png
track_fxon_v.png

Good luck!
Old 09-07-2022, 10:26 PM   #77
Bombs'n'Away

Quote:
Glad you like the theme, even if you don't like my mods! Those FX buttons, etc. are all graphics elements inside of the theme bundle. Rename the .ReaperThemeZip to .zip, unpack it and then you can edit/replace the elements as you like. For instance, the track FX buttons are:

track_fx_dis.png
track_fx_empty.png
track_fx_in_empty.png
track_fx_in_norm.png
track_fx_norm.png
track_fxempty_h.png
track_fxempty_v.png
track_fxoff_h.png
track_fxoff_v.png
track_fxon_h.png
track_fxon_v.png

Good luck!
Thank you! Looks like a lot of trial and error work considering I would also have to this to all meters. Maybe I should stick with blue.

I do like your mods for their functionality by the way and I'm going to use your version since it is more consistent. Original one looks better though without the green pan indicators, but yours works better for me in the end of the day!

Is there a way to prevent selected tracks from being tinted?

Last edited by Bombs'n'Away; 09-07-2022 at 11:13 PM.
Old 09-11-2022, 02:49 AM   #78
Bombs'n'Away

Sorry for double post.
Can someone help me figure out how to avoid tinting of selected tracks? Highlighting in a different shade of grey would be okay with me, but full tint on selected tracks is not a good option imho.
Old 09-11-2022, 03:25 AM   #79
sockmonkey72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombs'n'Away View Post
Sorry for double post.
Can someone help me figure out how to avoid tinting of selected tracks? Highlighting in a different shade of grey would be okay with me, but full tint on selected tracks is not a good option imho.
Sorry, didn't mean to leave you hanging:

Old 09-11-2022, 05:12 AM   #80
Bombs'n'Away

Quote:
Sorry, didn't mean to leave you hanging:

Thanks for helping, but that's not a solution. I got to be more precise:
I do want to use the tint as it is applied with this theme. Colored bars at top and bottom of MCP track panels. That's fine.
However, I do NOT want the entire track to be fully colored once it is selected. Hope that makes sense.