Old 07-22-2014, 01:48 PM   #1
DarkStar
Human being with feelings

Default Midi Fighter Twister?

Anyone seen this / got one?

• 16 high-resolution Chroma Cap encoders
  • Integrated push switches on each knob
  • Full LED feedback
With four banks of 16 encoders, the Twister allows control of any parameter in any software.

https://store.djtechtools.com/produc...ighter-twister
Old 07-22-2014, 03:32 PM   #2
ivansc

yeh but $199 on sale translates to probably £200+ UK price.

For a bunch of bcd pots in a plastic box with knobs and LEDs....?

Wondering where they get their 4 banks of 16 encoders from with no sign of anything to switch banks unless that is included in the push switch on the bcds?
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:49 PM   #3
Anton9

At $199 you could get a Tablet or touch device and create as many virtual faders/knobs/buttons as you'll ever need and use OSC messages which give you the best resolution control by far.

I get that some people prefer that tactile response of real faders/knobs/buttons, I've got a Kenton Control Freak that has 16 faders & 16 buttons, plus you can program multiple banks of controlers, but since discovering OSC this thing has not been used.

I'm not sure if anyone is producing controlers with physical faders that send OSC but if you find one, I would go with that because you'll be way more satisfied with the resolution that OSC provides. Things like Nintendo Wii controlers and Microsoft Kinect can also be programmed to send OSC messages.
Anton9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:34 AM   #4
Win Conway

DJ Techtools have an advantage over bigger developers, for DJ stuff they are right on the cutting edge, so for instance, when NI created the Remix Deck system but didn't open it up to other developers right away, DJ Techtools reverse engineered the support within days and had the MIDI fighter working with it.

If you just want something for use in Reaper, you may find better options elsewhere for less, but also another thing to remember is that DJT have a reputation for being bomb proof on stage too
Old 01-07-2016, 03:48 AM   #5
satchmo

Just resurrecting this thread.

I was thinking this would make a good controller for something like the new Brainworx Neve Console plugin or Slate VMR etc.

Anyone using this for managing their plugins?
satchmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:04 PM   #6
epatricio

Default Update

Well, I actually think this is a simple but powerful tool.
The endless rotary controls are a good way to have hardware and software "synced" without motorized faders.

I'm currently preparing a configuration to use it as a DAW controller:
- Scrub
- Zoom
- Track switching
- Volume and pan
- Etc.
epatricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:33 AM   #7
airon

I use two of them in my dialogue mixes.
In the Midi Devices tab, I renamed them Twister1 and Twister2, which makes them easier to deal with when sending midi data to them with scripts.

When using two of them, be sure to plug them in in the correct order .
How I use them
Three of the banks, which I change between by triggering a script that sends the bank-change command as a midi message, are used on per-track midi-learn'ed stuff. This is mostly default mappings for EQs and sends for me.

For example, I use the two units next to each other to control one post-compression EQ, 8 bands of gain, frequency and Q(3x8) and filters (frequency and Q).

Most of my control mapping is done this way. Compressors and deessers are controlled with an Arturia Beatstep.
The good thing about DJ gear is that it's built to me hammered a lot. That's likely the reason the two units have not failed in any way for me yet. Similarly I use Novation Dicer units. Just buttons, but you can slam them all day and they keep working.

The knobs are excellent, plus you can give them new colours not just with the LED lights around them, but also the knobs themselves with chroma caps from DJ Techtools.

It was worth it to me.

Another controller that has worked well for me so far is the X-Touch Mini. 40 Euros or so now. Two banks. 8 encoders, 16 buttons, 1 touch sensitive non-motorized 60mm fader. Good configuration app.

A small shot of my setup:

On the left are the MFT units. The red knobs are gain, the green frequency and the blue are Q. The LED lights (ring and large light below) match them fairly well. Those lights change when I use a different bank. Bank 2 of each addresses the pre-compression EQ. Bank 3 addresses the sends, which are assigned in the action window. Actually the X-Touch Mini below the MFTs has 8 knobs that control the dynamic gain of the Pro-Q3 I use as an EQ. Its second bank controls the band steepness.

Last edited by airon; 08-20-2019 at 02:58 AM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:01 AM   #8
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by epatricio View Post
Well, I actually think this is a simple but powerful tool.
The endless rotary controls are a good way to have hardware and software "synced" without motorized faders.

I'm currently preparing a configuration to use it as a DAW controller:
- Scrub
- Zoom
- Track switching
- Volume and pan
- Etc.

The MFT knobs are great for that stuff. I experiemented with midi scripts and could control a host of things with them, such as track switching. I simply use other means for that now, since these units are bettwen off controlling my EQs right now .
Old 08-20-2019, 09:13 AM   #9
foxAsteria

I'd been looking at them a while but the price was prohibitive, even when used. Beatstep has 17 encoders and 16 pads, though it's not as compact and the encoders aren't lit, so I ended up with that. It also doubles as a sequencer.

But here's a new listing for the cheapest I've ever seen it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/MIDI-Fighte...dW1vk&LH_BIN=1
Old 08-20-2019, 11:00 AM   #10
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post

Another controller that has worked well for me so far is the X-Touch Mini. 40 Euros or so now. Two banks. 8 encoders, 16 buttons, 1 touch sensitive non-motorized 60mm fader. Good configuration app.
Hello Airon! do you have it updating the led values automatically by reaper? if so! was it effortless and clean to do it?
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:53 AM   #11
Nantho

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
Hello Airon! do you have it updating the led values automatically by reaper? if so! was it effortless and clean to do it?
Hi Deeb !

Maybe I can help you on this one

I'm also a happy Twister user and I have the MIDI Feedback working thanks to a combination of ReaLearn and the fantastic SmartKnobs script by LBX. It's not plug'nplay per se but it's not too much difficult either. You can watch this video if you want to know mor about it :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0LB...=TheREAPERBlog
Nantho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:00 AM   #12
Nantho

Quote:
I use two of them in my dialogue mixes.
In the Midi Devices tab, I renamed them Twister1 and Twister2, which makes them easier to deal with when sending midi data to them with scripts.

When using two of them, be sure to plug them in in the correct order .
How I use them
Three of the banks, which I change between by triggering a script that sends the bank-change command as a midi message, are used on per-track midi-learn'ed stuff. This is mostly default mappings for EQs and sends for me.

For example, I use the two units next to each other to control one post-compression EQ, 8 bands of gain, frequency and Q(3x8) and filters (frequency and Q).

Most of my control mapping is done this way. Compressors and deessers are controlled with an Arturia Beatstep.
The good thing about DJ gear is that it's built to me hammered a lot. That's likely the reason the two units have not failed in any way for me yet. Similarly I use Novation Dicer units. Just buttons, but you can slam them all day and they keep working.

The knobs are excellent, plus you can give them new colours not just with the LED lights around them, but also the knobs themselves with chroma caps from DJ Techtools.

It was worth it to me.

A small shot of my setup:

On the left are the MFT units. The red knobs are gain, the green frequency and the blue are Q. The LED lights (ring and large light below) match them fairly well. Those lights change when I use a different bank. Bank 2 of each addresses the pre-compression EQ. Bank 3 addresses the sends, which are assigned in the action window. Actually the X-Touch Mini below the MFTs has 8 knobs that control the dynamic gain of the Pro-Q3 I use as an EQ. Its second bank controls the band steepness.

Very nice configuration Airon !

Could you tell me more about your script that send MIDI data to change the bank please ? I would like to do the same because those little switches on the sides of the unit are not really user friendly...
Old 08-22-2019, 01:54 AM   #13
Nantho

Well, a simple search on the forum gave me the answer :

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/29565/mft_bankcontrol_1.lua

I should have known you already shared this with the community, silly me ^^

I'm gonna try this script ASAP !

Thanks for this Airon
Old 08-23-2019, 06:30 AM   #14
cjewellstudios

Hey I have a scripts that stuff a midi message into the virtual keyboard and then send it to the twister to switch banks.

You have to have a track with the VK as the input and a midi send to the twister for it to work but it does work well. If I remember correctly I couldnt get Airon's script to work for me (my error I'm sure)

Let me know how this works for you or if you want to try the scripts I have.
cjewellstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 06:45 AM   #15
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantho View Post
Hi Deeb !

Maybe I can help you on this one

I'm also a happy Twister user and I have the MIDI Feedback working thanks to a combination of ReaLearn and the fantastic SmartKnobs script by LBX. It's not plug'nplay per se but it's not too much difficult either. You can watch this video if you want to know mor about it :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0LB...=TheREAPERBlog
Thank you so much nantho! I would avoid realearn since the time I experienced it had much more lag then native. Lbx I don't know if it will fit for what I want. Will look at the video later and check what is mandatory. The problem midi fighter is quite a lot of money and without being sure if it fits is a bit risky thank you
Old 08-23-2019, 04:32 PM   #16
airon

I don't have midi feedback on my MFTs.

Reaper is the very last to that party, having not arrived to it at all just yet. Just how it is, and I can't use ReLearn or Smartknobs. My setup doesn't work that way, because I need per-track control. That gets me control of more than one (identically setup)track if I select those tracks. Need that.

That's the reason I keep the plugin GUI open or at the very least monitor values via the Parameter Knobs on the MCP. I even made a special layout to have enough space for all the knobs I may need on the MCP.
Old 08-23-2019, 04:33 PM   #17
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantho View Post
Well, a simple search on the forum gave me the answer :

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/29565/mft_bankcontrol_1.lua

I should have known you already shared this with the community, silly me ^^

I'm gonna try this script ASAP !

Thanks for this Airon

I'm happy it's of use to more than just myself. I might adapt the script for lighting up my Novation Dicer buttons too.
Old 08-24-2019, 07:22 AM   #18
deeb

Quote:
My setup doesn't work that way, because I need per-track control.
Exactly like me. You'd welcome quick controls like in cubase too, right?

Lbo probably could adapt for quick controls :/ still maybe a huge amount of effort
Old 08-24-2019, 10:48 PM   #19
Nantho

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjewellstudios View Post
Hey I have a scripts that stuff a midi message into the virtual keyboard and then send it to the twister to switch banks.

You have to have a track with the VK as the input and a midi send to the twister for it to work but it does work well. If I remember correctly I couldnt get Airon's script to work for me (my error I'm sure)

Let me know how this works for you or if you want to try the scripts I have.
Thank you for the offer but everything is working fine with Airon's script
Old 08-26-2019, 12:52 AM   #20
airon

The one thing I'm missing is the simple sendout of the value of a controlled parameter via a midi command.

This may be doable with oscii-bot which is another Cockos tool, but so far that has been too complex for me. Maybe the documentation has improved since then.

OSC can send back feedback. Just not sure how to do it yet with OSCI-bot. How good can such a setup be when so few can use it (so far) ?

Last edited by airon; 08-26-2019 at 09:37 PM.