Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 09-20-2021, 01:24 PM   #1
planetnine
Human being with feelings

Default v6.36+dev0920 - September 20 2021

New dev version up...

>
Old 09-20-2021, 01:25 PM   #2
Dafarkias

oh no! he did it again!

crucify him!

crucify him!

Support my feature request!
Dafarkias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 01:28 PM   #3
Dafarkias

vvvvvvv

Support my feature request!

Last edited by Dafarkias; 09-20-2021 at 01:39 PM.
Dafarkias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 01:31 PM   #4
schwa
Administrator

ˢᶦᵍⁿᵃˡ
:

███╗░░██╗░█████╗░██╗░██████╗███████╗
████╗░██║██╔══██╗██║██╔════╝██╔════╝
██╔██╗██║██║░░██║██║╚█████╗░█████╗░░
██║╚████║██║░░██║██║░╚═══██╗██╔══╝░░
██║░╚███║╚█████╔╝██║██████╔╝███████╗
╚═╝░░╚══╝░╚════╝░╚═╝╚═════╝░╚══════╝

v6.36+dev0920 - September 20 2021
  • * Includes feature branch: multichannel, multi-mono, multi-stereo ReaPlugs
  • * Includes feature branch: ReaLimit and render limiting
  • * Includes feature branch: MIDI editor note reordering
  • * Includes feature branch: media item lanes
  • + Actions: send all-notes-off also sends all-sounds-off
  • + Envelopes: add advanced project preference (default enabled) to prevent bezier envelope segments from being affected by preceding/following non-bezier points
  • + MIDI editor: send all-sound-off in addition to all-notes-off on preview playback stop
  • + MIDI: send all-sound-off messages in addition to all-notes-off when configured to do so on stop
  • + Media explorer: send all-sounds-off in addition to all-notes-off when ending MIDI previews
  • + ReaControlMIDI: send all-sound-off messages when clicking all notes off button, show all-sound-off messages when logging all-notes-off
  • + ReaPlugs: ReaSynth/ReaSynDr/ReaVoice/RS5k now respond to all-sound-off messages
  • + ReaVerb: configurable channel count, support up to 64 channel impulses
  • + ReaVerb: reverse impulse modifier can apply to all channels or single channel
  • + Track MIDI meters: exclude all-sound-off from activity indicators
  • # FX pin connector: fix dropdown positioning
  • # ReaLimit: add configurable release time
  • # ReaLimit: add experimental low latency performance mode
  • # Render: disable limiting option when applying common gain to stems [p=2481941]
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 01:41 PM   #5
daniellumertz

+ Envelopes: add advanced project preference (default enabled) to prevent bezier envelope segments from being affected by preceding/following non-bezier points

Cool! Thanks
daniellumertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 01:48 PM   #6
PhelixK

Quote:
# ReaLimit: add configurable release time
Oh, will check this out. Does it overrule the build-in program dependency?
PhelixK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 01:51 PM   #7
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
+ Envelopes: add advanced project preference (default enabled) to prevent bezier envelope segments from being affected by preceding/following non-bezier points
Could someone point to a use case where you would want a bezier envelope segment affected by a following non-bezier envelope point? I'm a little confused as to why this needs to be a pref and not just standard behavior with no pref.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 01:52 PM   #8
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelixK View Post
Oh, will check this out. Does it overrule the build-in program dependency?
The transition from the decay to release phase is still program dependent.
Old 09-20-2021, 01:52 PM   #9
Glennbo

Quote:
[*]# ReaLimit: add experimental low latency performance mode
Thank you veddy much! I will also be experimental for the next few days.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 01:52 PM   #10
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
Could someone point to a use case where you would want a bezier envelope segment affected by a following non-bezier envelope point? I'm a little confused as to why this needs to be a pref and not just standard behavior with no pref.
It needs to be a project setting so that existing projects don't change envelope shape when loaded.
Old 09-20-2021, 01:54 PM   #11
Triode

Quote:
To preserve older projects perhaps?
Old 09-20-2021, 01:59 PM   #12
Paul Eye

Quote:
  • # ReaLimit: add configurable release time
  • # ReaLimit: add experimental low latency performance mode
While these are welcome additions to some, I really hope you don't add too much (more) "tweakability" to ReaLimit's behaviour. Personally I prefer a brickwall limiter to be a black box to which I basically tell "apply this much gain (if any) and keep the peaks at this specified level", and then it does its magic

That being said, is 15dB/sec the default value from same behaviour as previous +dev versions?

Last edited by Paul Eye; 09-20-2021 at 02:40 PM.
Paul Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 02:14 PM   #13
Vagelis

Quote:
[*]+ Envelopes: add advanced project preference (default enabled) to prevent bezier envelope segments from being affected by preceding/following non-bezier points
Yay, now it's a lot better to edit points and envelope segments, thanks a lot!

Would it be possible also to have a preference for envelope curve so it doesn't go back to bezier when the curve is at 0 and the shape is linear?
Vagelis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 03:04 PM   #14
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Eye View Post
is 15dB/sec the default value from same behaviour as previous +dev versions?
Yes .
Old 09-20-2021, 03:04 PM   #15
Yanick

Or maybe, on the contrary, try to increase the latency? Limiters such as AOM, T-racks and others have much higher PDC (3-4 thousand spls), while they retain the signal attack much better. High latency is not critical for mastering
Yanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 03:15 PM   #16
Yanick

But of course, ultrahigh latency mode is not needed by default - with the ability to configure
Old 09-20-2021, 03:23 PM   #17
ashcat_lt

Does the ReaVerb channel thing mean we can now do True Stereo in one instance? How does that work?
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 03:30 PM   #18
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Does the ReaVerb channel thing mean we can now do True Stereo in one instance? How does that work?
If you have a 4 channel impulse response, and a stereo track, you can set it to 4ch and use the pin mapper to route each input channel to the correct IR channels, and back. Probably want to set the dry mix to -inf for that…
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 03:42 PM   #19
Yanick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanick View Post
Or maybe, on the contrary, try to increase the latency? Limiters such as AOM, T-racks and others have much higher PDC (3-4 thousand spls), while they retain the signal attack much better. High latency is not critical for mastering
Moreover, for the case when you need to make mastering and you have a lot of tracks (for example an album), and you need a lot of ultrahigh latency limiters, and when they have a huge latency, because of which playback also starts with delay, the guys in the Russian forums made an action that activates only one limiter to listen to a specific track, and turn off other limiters But the quality is much, much better...

Last edited by Yanick; 09-20-2021 at 03:51 PM.
Old 09-20-2021, 05:41 PM   #20
Justin
Administrator

If you use Glennbo’s output side with JamesPeters input side you’ll have it, I think. The exact configuration depends on the channel order of the IR, but in general you want the left input routed to two channels, one of which goes to the left, the other the right. and you want the right input routed to the other two channels (which in turn go to the two outputs).
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:15 PM   #21
ashcat_lt

1) This is pretty awesome!!!

B) If I understand correctly, neither of those pinouts is correct. The first two channels of the IR should be with the source all the way left. The second pair is the source all the way right. In Glennbo’s pic there is no need to invert the 3/4 output because that’s baked into the IR, but the inputs are wrong. JP needs to swap input pins 2 and 3, but the outputs are fine.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:37 PM   #22
dangguidan

The front and rear Bessel are also affected in the MIDI CC envelope. Have they been corrected together?
dangguidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:11 PM   #23
Klangfarben

Quote:
It needs to be a project setting so that existing projects don't change envelope shape when loaded.
Ok, but if we are going under the assumption no one wants that behavior (and we should), that means that existing projects are now essentially corrupt. Because if a user opens an existing session and wants to continue working with it, editing it, updating it, etc. which happens all the time, then they have two choices. Either they turn off the project pref and continue suffering from the undesirable (and incorrect) behavior. Or they leave the pref on and all existing previous bezier automation shapes are now changed and will have to be re-edited.

So it seems kind of like a lose/lose proposition for the user unless they are working in a new project. In which case, the pref doesn't seem like the best solution imho. Could you not figure out a way to leave existing automation in existing projects as is and have newly added automation follow the current pre-release behavior? If a user is opening an existing project just to listen to it or to render it with no changes, then sure, the pref has value. But if a user is opening up an existing project to continue working on it or edit it, it really doesn't and actually causes more problems then it is trying to solve.
Old 09-20-2021, 08:12 PM   #24
Soli Deo Gloria

Thanks so much for the All Sound Off thing, devs. I haven't tested it yet, but I think/hope it will prevent many stuck note issues reported here and there.

Also, the Realimit and Reaverb additions are gorgeous. Great pre is this...

Thanks again!
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:58 PM   #25
cool

Quote:
  • + Media explorer: send all-sounds-off in addition to all-notes-off when ending MIDI previews
Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode

Thank you!

But it doesn't work for me. Or, I expect something different.

1. I click on any MIDI file in the explorer. It is being played as expected.

2a I click on the stop button in the explorer or the space bar. I get endless sounding notes.

2b If during playback I click on another MIDI file in the explorer, I get the infinitely sounding notes of the first file, plus the sound of the second.

Preview via Serum synth on a track.

In case 2a I expect to get silence, in case 2b I expect to get the silence of the first file while playing the second.

Last edited by cool; 09-20-2021 at 09:06 PM.
cool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 10:26 PM   #26
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
If you have a 4 channel impulse response, and a stereo track, you can set it to 4ch and use the pin mapper to route each input channel to the correct IR channels, and back. Probably want to set the dry mix to -inf for that…
Great !
Maybe we now need to generate multi-channel impulse files (E.g. from the M7 L and R stereo files). Should be no problem using Reaper

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 09-20-2021 at 10:31 PM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 10:44 PM   #27
Lynx_TWO

Default Reaper 3.36 crashes when enabling all FX at once

Reaper 3.36 crashes when enabling all FX at once but not when enabled one track at a time - solution possible, when using the keyboard shortcut B, enable FX in a serial fashion one track at a time
Lynx_TWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 11:21 PM   #28
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Great !
Maybe we now need to generate multi-channel impulse files (E.g. from the M7 L and R stereo files). Should be no problem using Reaper

-Michael
Or...I hate to add a feature request...but possibly another "add file" option/parameter which allows channel mapping for the file, so that when 2 stereo files are added (intended for quad use together) they can have their inputs and outputs mapped. If it's feasible anyway.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 12:52 AM   #29
chmaha

There seems to be a slight discrepancy between render meter, render stats and the JS loudness meter (using normal peaks):

https://i.imgur.com/ezto65P.png (render dialog mismatch -- I assume the stats are the correct numbers?)

https://i.imgur.com/2Wd2uir.png (JS loudness meter also hitting -1.1 instead of -1.0 dB)

0.1 dB difference is clearly not going to break anything but would be really nice to get the numbers to match.

Last edited by chmaha; 09-21-2021 at 01:09 AM.
chmaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 03:09 AM   #30
daxliniere

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellumertz View Post

Cool! Thanks
Yes, this is awesome. I always assumed it was a limitation of the Bezier function. Thank you for this change!
daxliniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 03:45 AM   #31
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Could you not figure out a way to leave existing automation in existing projects as is and have newly added automation follow the current pre-release behavior?
The other option would be a per-envelope-point flag but that seems much more opaque and burdensome.
Old 09-21-2021, 03:58 AM   #32
daxliniere

Quote:
The other option would be a per-envelope-point flag but that seems much more opaque and burdensome.
I do agree with Klangfarben, but since RPP files store project version, that could be checked and if <6.36+0920, ignore the new option if it is globally enabled. Then if the project is saved, add flags to all existing bezier env pts, but not new ones.

AFAICS, this would solve the problems going backwards and through the transition phase.
daxliniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 05:15 AM   #33
Paul Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethHarmon View Post
There seems to be a slight discrepancy between render meter, render stats and the JS loudness meter (using normal peaks):

0.1 dB difference is clearly not going to break anything but would be really nice to get the numbers to match.
Yeah, there are some +-0.1dB differences between the master, JS loudness meter, render dialog, and render stats opened in a browser. Here's a test case:

Master settings:

Playback about halfway through:

Playback finished:

Render finished, dry run:

Stats:

Also, the JS loudness meter lags a bit behind the master in its calculations, meaning for example when the master LUFS-I increases by 0.1dB it takes a few seconds for the JS to catch up.
Paul Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:04 AM   #34
BPBaker

Would it be possible to add .SDIR audio file support to ReaVerb? Now that it supports multichannel, it would be great to be able to use readily available surround IR files and also user-generated impulses from other applications (i.e. Logic's Space Designer).

FWIW Reaper can already import .SDIR into a project, but for whatever reason they apparently can't be read directly by either ReaVerb or the Batch File Convertor.
BPBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:08 AM   #35
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxliniere View Post
I do agree with Klangfarben, but since RPP files store project version, that could be checked and if <6.36+0920, ignore the new option if it is globally enabled. Then if the project is saved, add flags to all existing bezier env pts, but not new ones.

AFAICS, this would solve the problems going backwards and through the transition phase.
This seems like a better solution to me. One of the big issues here is the example of having to conform an older project to new picture. With the current solution, this would pretty much be carnage whereas with the above solution you would at least have a fighting chance.

The other issue in play is there are going to be a lot of users who either don't know about or will forget this pref later on, which could potentially be a pretty big can of worms. It seems pretty onerous to put this on the user to have to remember to turn a pref on/off based on the version of Reaper the project was created with.

Just my two and a half cents.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:19 AM   #36
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
B) If I understand correctly, neither of those pinouts is correct. The first two channels of the IR should be with the source all the way left. The second pair is the source all the way right. In Glennbo’s pic there is no need to invert the 3/4 output because that’s baked into the IR, but the inputs are wrong. JP needs to swap input pins 2 and 3, but the outputs are fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
I've never used a quad-channel reverb impulse file before. Thanks for the explanation.

Based on what Justin said, that seems to make sense. I attached a new picture for anyone else who might want this illustrated.
I've been using True Stereo with the LSP Impulse reverb for quite some time now, and using the pinouts like your image seems to match what I get with the LSP verb. With the A&M Studios impulses I use, you can see on the master a left/right wiggle as the tail fades out, and that now appears to be the same between LSP verb and ReaVerb.

One difference I see is that ReaVerb needs to have the dry side reduced by about 6db to match the level when the plugin is bypassed. The wet level seems pretty close to what I get with LSP.

Is there any way to save the pinouts for a preset using a quad impulse?
Old 09-21-2021, 07:34 AM   #37
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
That would be great but obviously the best solution here would be to not have to mess around with pins at all and just load it up like any other IR file. All we'd need then would be a dropdown option for picking the topology of the quad IR file given they don't necessarily have to be LLRR.
chmaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:43 AM   #38
BPBaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Just thinking about all the potential ways one might want to configure ReaVerb for different IR sources and purposes (mono to stereo, true stereo, various flavors of surround or synthesized IRs), it makes me wonder if the standard I/O pinout isn't the ideal way to handle this.

Perhaps adding new dropdown/parameter/config box would allow users to select between the default config and these more complex situations? Because it seems to me that in all these other cases we're looking at situations where we'll need ReaVerb to use more channels for IR processing "internally" than would ultimately be used for for plugin I/O.

EDIT: Ha, BethHarmon beat me to it!
BPBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:50 AM   #39
nofish

I'd like to post a reminder about
+ ReaScript: add MIDIEditor_EnumTakes()
and the (confirmed) niggle I came across with it:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....41#post2481441
confirmation: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....56#post2481456

If it stays this way, maybe there could be added a note in the API doc about it?

(I imagine quite a few scripters will use this new function in their scripts when released officially...)
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 08:01 AM   #40
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethHarmon View Post
That would be great but obviously the best solution here would be to not have to mess around with pins at all and just load it up like any other IR file. All we'd need then would be a dropdown option for picking the topology of the quad IR file given they don't necessarily have to be LLRR.
It does appear that the pin assignments are remembered, but just not the number of pins. As soon as I set it for the VST to have 4 channels, the pin assignments match what Ashcat described and James posted the image of.

I frequently use True Stereo reverb on my sub-master strip for the purpose of putting the entire band in the same room. Maybe I'll add ReaVerb configured for quad impulses to my default REAPER project, but with no impulses loaded so it's ready to go when I'm ready to use it.