Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 08-27-2021, 04:58 AM   #681
Berg
Human being with feelings

What would be a nice controller for the Reasurround Panner ? Maybe some of you have experienced nice solutions ? iPad ? Joystick ? Trackpad ? Thanks.
Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 09:17 AM   #682
Joystick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berg View Post
What would be a nice controller for the Reasurround Panner ? Maybe some of you have experienced nice solutions ? iPad ? Joystick ? Trackpad ? Thanks.
I use my phone and GyrOSC (http://www.bitshapesoftware.com/instruments/gyrosc/) to pan in real time my ambisonic panners. maybe something similar?

You can point to the objects on the screen, your speakers, or even imaginary targets in the room.
Joystick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 10:14 AM   #683
fakemaxwell

You could easily set up a TouchOSC panner with a tablet. The classic surround panner is a joystick, but it's not a super popular controller type so it's mostly homebrews I'm seeing. Not sure what the "standard" is for Atmos.
fakemaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 03:11 AM   #684
Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joystick View Post
I use my phone and GyrOSC (http://www.bitshapesoftware.com/instruments/gyrosc/) to pan in real time my ambisonic panners. maybe something similar?

You can point to the objects on the screen, your speakers, or even imaginary targets in the room.
thanks, I did not know this one, could be great ! I'll try
Old 08-29-2021, 03:12 AM   #685
Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakemaxwell View Post
You could easily set up a TouchOSC panner with a tablet. The classic surround panner is a joystick, but it's not a super popular controller type so it's mostly homebrews I'm seeing. Not sure what the "standard" is for Atmos.
Yes I suppose with Lemur ? I tried, I need to optimize it.
Old 08-29-2021, 08:18 AM   #686
BartR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakemaxwell View Post
There is a MIDI joystick up there but it costs a kidney (for what it is)
Yes I saw consoles for Atmos with the joysic ... it will be nice ... if will exist one affordable

Some improvement can be made however:

1. enlargeable window in will enhance visibility (especially for people like me ...the sight: an issue)

2. better positioning of the source inthe 3D. I see sources are movable 2 axix over 3 when in isometric visualization.
BartR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 01:41 PM   #687
airon

I‘d probably try to use one of the better gaming controllers, but the hid controller support seems to be abandoned.

Imagine using flying joysticks and their throttle controls.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 11:35 PM   #688
BartR

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
I‘d probably try to use one of the better gaming controllers, but the hid controller support seems to be abandoned.

Imagine using flying joysticks and their throttle controls.
I have the flight joystick. No-go. You need a joystick "old fashion" for the purpose.
When you move it, it has to remain where it is.
Old 12-01-2021, 11:31 AM   #689
Berg

There might be a bug when trying to make a 9.1.4 Dolby Atmos compatible preset (Lw Rw), please developers have a look at the screenshot. As Reaper can work with Dolby Atmos thanks to the Dolby Music Panner to address metadata to the Renderer, it could be useful to make some other presets for using 9.1.4 or 9.1.6 in case we want to build 9 channels in the horizontal plane with Lw and Rw loudspeakers. Dealing with Lw and Rw loudspeakers, on the left part there is a bug, on the right part it seems to be OK for the Panner Law.

Last edited by Berg; 02-24-2022 at 01:50 AM.
Old 12-01-2021, 12:06 PM   #690
schwa
Administrator

What are the custom height parameters of the left front height and right front height speakers? Do they have the same influence setting?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 03:49 AM   #691
Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
What are the custom height parameters of the left front height and right front height speakers? Do they have the same influence setting?
Schwa, I couldn't reproduce the bug, please find the 9.1.4 Dolby Atmos preset that works fine, we may need and it will make sense to add Wide % and redefine Side % between LwRw and LrsRrs if it is possible to implement of course !

Last edited by Berg; 02-24-2022 at 01:50 AM.
Old 12-03-2021, 01:53 PM   #692
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Schwa, I couldn't reproduce the bug, please find the 9.1.4 Dolby Atmos preset that works fine, we may need and it will make sense to add Wide % and redefine Side % between LwRw and LrsRrs if it is possible to implement of course !
This is the 7.1.4 stock configuration with the addition of left/right wide speakers at channels 5 and 6, right?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 03:42 AM   #693
Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
This is the 7.1.4 stock configuration with the addition of left/right wide speakers at channels 5 and 6, right?
Yes it is !
Old 02-19-2022, 10:29 AM   #694
realshafer

Default Custom Speaker Bug?

Hi all, I'm getting a really uneven speaker influence when making a custom speaker configuration (eg. the rings emanating from the speakers are really wacky shapes and not matched right/left or front/back). Is this just a UI bug or are the speakers really using these warped influence patterns (see attached RPL for ReaSurroundPan)? I've double-checked the XYZ position and angles to make sure they are left/right and front/back matched. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Attached Files
File Type: rpl uneven8ch.RPL (1.2 KB, 138 views)
realshafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 10:48 AM   #695
jm duchenne

It is "normal": the ResurroundPan version is optimized for standard cinema formats.
For everything else you must use the Reasurround version. It lacks some improvements that have been done with the "Pan" but its behaviour is consistent.
For your octophonic pairs it may be no problem to work as you whish ...
Old 02-19-2022, 11:05 AM   #696
realshafer

Thanks JM. I see, so it's not as flexible as I imagined. It would be nice if Reaper exposed the parameters it is using to optimize those influence rings for user tweaking.
realshafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 07:56 AM   #697
matt_f

Hi all - Just to answer a few ADM profile and EAR Production Suite questions that have popped up in this thread;

Quote:
Originally Posted by junh1024 View Post
Yes. ADM was supposed to be a universal standard. However, the current situation is far from ideal. Different tools support different subsets, creating incompatibility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm duchenne View Post
I have tried to exchange ADM made in Reaper with the Ear suite and the MPEG-H plugin but it was not working.
Quote:
Originally Posted by junh1024 View Post
Looks there might be many "types" of ADM . Main thing DDM vs the rest is the coordinate system. There might be some PDFs floating round about the ADM standard & DDM. Have you tried the reverse aka MPH ADM or DDM imported into EAR?
Yes, there's different profiles of ADM. The EAR Production Suite exports conform to the EBU Production Profile (https://tech.ebu.ch/docs/tech/tech3392.pdf) as junh1024 mentioned, but is fairly tolerant in what it will import (as of v0.7.0). Some tools are only capable of importing ADM in a specific profile and so can not accept these exports. Interoperability between tools and ADM profiles is in the EBU's work plan (https://tech.ebu.ch/audio) so hopefully this situation should improve.
matt_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 07:57 AM   #698
matt_f

Quote:
should Reaper propose another way to deliver ADM files ?
I think native implementations of ADM production in any DAW are definitely more capable of providing a cleaner integration and smoother workflow than third-party tools could possibly achieve.
matt_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 06:15 AM   #699
Berg

Default source names

I was wondering if we could get 8 full characters for the sources names? showing the source number at the beginning seems not very important as we already have it inside the circle ?

Last edited by Berg; 01-18-2023 at 06:00 AM.
Old 09-18-2022, 05:03 AM   #700
Berg

Default rectangular setups sources rotation

I have noticed a not logical behavior when dealing with rectangular reasurroundpan set-ups. When we consider 2 or more sources in a rectangular configuration, if we give an offset between the sources and we want to make a rotation of the sources in the "edit all" mode, only the sources located in the corner loudspeakers are rotating in the rectangular form, the others are rotating in the circle mode. We may want all the sources to stay in the rectangular form, that way we can keep the offset value. Please see the 2 videos below.

Last edited by Berg; 01-18-2023 at 06:00 AM.
Old 10-04-2022, 11:33 AM   #701
Berg

Default ReasurroundPan GUI

It would be nice to make a more compact GUI version of the ReasurroundPan, I remember someone made this proposition before. The panner has nice technical possibilities but to work with, if we could have an extended setting mode, it would help a lot. For example we don't need to always see the meters and with 3D formats that makes a lot of place ! What do you think about this idea ?
Old 10-05-2022, 01:49 AM   #702
BartR

Quote:
It would be nice to make a more compact GUI version of the ReasurroundPan, I remember someone made this proposition before. The panner has nice technical possibilities but to work with, if we could have an extended setting mode, it would help a lot. For example we don't need to always see the meters and with 3D formats that makes a lot of place ! What do you think about this idea ?
To be honest, I would like to have a bigger GUI as well. I mean as an option so that it can fit with all needs.
OR to be able to enlarge it ...
Old 10-05-2022, 05:28 AM   #703
Ideosound

From a pure GUI perspective, can these channel text areas have a dark appearance when dark mode is being used?

Ideosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 03:02 PM   #704
fakemaxwell

Something that just tripped me up with ReaSurroundPan- I was downmixing from 5.1 to 2.0, and the default setting of passing through unmapped outputs had me spending a few minutes in confusion.

I think this should default to zero-out like the channel mapper, and potentially be an option on the main face of the plugin as well, rather than buried in the menu. I can't figure out a scenario where you would want to set your output speakers to 2 channels, but then have other channels allowed to output to more additional channels.
fakemaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 03:20 PM   #705
AZpercussion

Yeah, I agree that pass through/zero output option on plugin face is better. (Also a pan law value by the way )

But pass through option need if you want to make a side chain compression on some of channels. I used it several times for music in my last surround project.

PS. But honestly, the side-chain is a separate big question. For now there are many inconveniences because it's mixed with main channels. I think the special dead ended channel bunch for a track would be helpful in many situations. I'm want to make an FR for a long time. So this is a time to.

So that for ReaSurroundPan the zero output option would be better eventually.

Last edited by AZpercussion; 10-12-2022 at 03:44 PM.
AZpercussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 09:11 AM   #706
AZpercussion

Here is my FR as I promised: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....40#post2604440

AZpercussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 07:39 AM   #707
Gass n Klang

Can we PLEASE have an option to replace the stereo panner by reasurround instances? Mixer -> rightclick on panner -> chose reasurround. Would be so great to have all these surround possibilities more integrated
Old 12-08-2023, 08:12 AM   #708
BartR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gass n Klang View Post
Can we PLEASE have an option to replace the stereo panner by reasurround instances? Mixer -> rightclick on panner -> chose reasurround. Would be so great to have all these surround possibilities more integrated
+1 on this. Great idea.
Old 12-08-2023, 04:33 PM   #709
Gass n Klang

not my idea, just standard

That makes much more sense. I did some surround and atmos mixes recently. With reaper it often feels like an egg dance. Some examples:

- stereo pan instead of native multichannel panner (surround/atmos panner).
- sidechain can be REALLY DANGEROUS: You got a stereotrack in a surround mix. You decide to do some sidechain stuff using ch 3/4. Later, you want to insert a surround reverb to your stereotrack, to embedd it a little more -> your sidechain signal will be on Center / LFE (or Right / Left surround depending on SMPTE/Film channel order). There urgently needs to be a dedicated sidechain option! It's no problem if you only have some tracks, but I'm working on a 3 hour >200 track TV show at the moment. So much that can go wrong...
- If you create a track with nested multichannel child-tracks in it why isn't the parent track multichannel by default? Same example: you want your channel with some surround reverb, so you enlarge your track width. Why do you have to set the trackwidth of the parent separatly? If I have surround children I definitly want the parent to be surround, too.
- Multi-mono plugin support is urgently needed. In Pro Tools you can easily throw a plugin on a surround track and it will act as multi-mono plugin. So if your EQ is just a stereo EQ, no problem. If your favorite reverb is just stereo, no problem. There will be multiple instances under the hood with linked parameters.
Old 12-09-2023, 06:36 AM   #710
BPBaker

Quote:
- Multi-mono plugin support is urgently needed. In Pro Tools you can easily throw a plugin on a surround track and it will act as multi-mono plugin. So if your EQ is just a stereo EQ, no problem. If your favorite reverb is just stereo, no problem. There will be multiple instances under the hood with linked parameters.
+1 I realize this likely isn’t a trivial thing to add, but I’ve often thought having a “multi” option where multiple parameter-linked copies of mono/stereo plugins get created behind the scenes would be a good way to approach this. (I think Logic does something like this, too, FWIW.)
BPBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 07:55 AM   #711
mschnell

Quote:
In Pro Tools you can easily throw a plugin on a surround track and it will act as multi-mono plugin. So if your EQ is just a stereo EQ, no problem. If your favorite reverb is just stereo, no problem. There will be multiple instances under the hood with linked parameters.
Interesting implementation

Should be doable by a script in Reaper. Maybe even automatically. (But supposedly rather complex code... )
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 09:03 AM   #712
Gass n Klang

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Interesting implementation

Should be doable by a script in Reaper. Maybe even automatically. (But supposedly rather complex code... )
Perhaps, but it should be a native solution. It's not just this usecase, there is much more connected with it. And it should be a solution that works for all these multichannel purposes (ambisonics, atmos...).

I don't understand how a stereo pan even makes sense on a multichannel track. Currently yes, because some channels could be just carrying sidechain information. But sidechains shouldn't be on the same route as "relevant" audio information. I think this whole field is not up to date. Multichannel demands are increasing rapidly...
Old 12-09-2023, 09:12 AM   #713
BartR

Quote:
Perhaps, but it should be a native solution. It's not just this usecase, there is much more connected with it. And it should be a solution that works for all these multichannel purposes (ambisonics, atmos...).

I don't understand how a stereo pan even makes sense on a multichannel track. Currently yes, because some channels could be just carrying sidechain information. But sidechains shouldn't be on the same route as "relevant" audio information. I think this whole field is not up to date. Multichannel demands are increasing rapidly...
+1 I do vote for a native solution.
I wouldn't even think/+want/accept that certain moment in time, who have made the script disappear and the script would not work any-longer (like the HeDa scripts from the version 7.00 ... to me still not working)

So: native, native, native
Old 12-09-2023, 01:36 PM   #714
Mickel Ehrmantraut

Quote:
+10000000 please developers!!! This could be wonderful feature!
Mickel Ehrmantraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 03:04 AM   #715
musicbynumbers

An option to default to reasurroundpan would be great, agreed!
Old 12-17-2023, 12:57 AM   #716
svijayrathinam

Quote:
not my idea, just standard

This is definitely a need of the hour ! I really thought something like this would happen when they developed Reasurround Pan. But nothing happened on this front so far. It's really about time. Pls developers. This will solve a lot of the issues we have while working in Film/TV/Games.
svijayrathinam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 04:20 PM   #717
Gass n Klang

Yep, it‘s funny how people always hate about pro tools. Don‘t get me wrong, I dont‘ like it as well but yeah. It has many pf the tools that are needed in professional contexts (while workflows are ugly) and things can be done that cant be done in reaper. E.g: propper atmos workflows, output a video on a dedicated output (for conductors for example), control room function to listen to a talent‘s headphone mix for example. Multi-user solution (PT doesnt need it as it wasnt customizable at all for a long time. We had a discussion about that on a big german radio station about testing out new DAWs beside sequoia.. I had to vote „no“ for reaper as it definitely doesn‘t work in a multiuser setting and doesnt offer things that are needed in such contexts like: edit while recording, video recording, classical editing tools and so on.) Such a shame. Personally it‘s by far the best audio tool I know and I use it like 10 hours per day but it‘s often behind when it comes to specific standardized workflows and formats.
Old 12-18-2023, 03:18 AM   #718
BartR

Quote:
Yep, it‘s funny how people always hate about pro tools. Don‘t get me wrong, I dont‘ like it as well but yeah. It has many pf the tools that are needed in professional contexts (while workflows are ugly) and things can be done that cant be done in reaper. E.g: propper atmos workflows, output a video on a dedicated output (for conductors for example), control room function to listen to a talent‘s headphone mix for example. Multi-user solution (PT doesnt need it as it wasnt customizable at all for a long time. We had a discussion about that on a big german radio station about testing out new DAWs beside sequoia.. I had to vote „no“ for reaper as it definitely doesn‘t work in a multiuser setting and doesnt offer things that are needed in such contexts like: edit while recording, video recording, classical editing tools and so on.) Such a shame. Personally it‘s by far the best audio tool I know and I use it like 10 hours per day but it‘s often behind when it comes to specific standardized workflows and formats.
Add also the missing TELECINE feature. I did ask several times but never listened and I discovered after some research I wasn't the only one ...

However in favour tor Reaper ... Well just a small note on 2 things only:
control room for talents: this I did setup already and each talent can even controls its headset volumes (backtracks/voice) by their own smartphones.

Video Output on separate video port:
well I found also for Dubbing purpose, that if you use multiple ports, just put the video window to the related monitor that's connected to that specific video output.

And yes several time sReaper si definitely behind .. as for the Containers and the way they are actually implemented: awful and useless. I can use them only with Sexan's script. Without it: it' sjsut another needless feature.
HOPEFULLY Sexan will not give up as HeDa did with his scripts.

By clearly speaking: too many times nerds are more listened than ppl is really working with this platform. So it stays behind ... unfortunately ...
Old 12-18-2023, 06:12 AM   #719
Gass n Klang

Yep. Pro Tools high price point in this regard is an advantage. Most people that are investing in it are using it professionally. One of reapers greatest advantages is its biggest disadvantage at the same time. A community that often doesnt understand that scripts arent always the solution. If they are dropped or dont work for a reason after an update they can destroy a whole workflow. They are great helping tools but I cannot rely on them as an integral part of my workflow. Reliability is the most important thing.
Old 12-18-2023, 03:45 PM   #720
BartR

Quote:
Yep. Pro Tools high price point in this regard is an advantage. Most people that are investing in it are using it professionally. One of reapers greatest advantages is its biggest disadvantage at the same time. A community that often doesnt understand that scripts arent always the solution. If they are dropped or dont work for a reason after an update they can destroy a whole workflow. They are great helping tools but I cannot rely on them as an integral part of my workflow. Reliability is the most important thing.
I do agree. IMHO it's a kind of cancer.
I'm slowly giving up, to be honest.