Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 08-22-2021, 07:51 PM   #1
swingset
Human being with feelings

Default A little roadhouse barn burner "It Ain't Me"

Built a baritone tele recently and just love the sound and playing it, so combined it with a nice shuffle beat to make a Texas themed country/blues rock song. Didn't spend a great deal of time on the mix, frankly, just wanted this one to have a more raw bar rock feel to it so it's a little loose and jangly.

A lot of this is very one-take live, really, only over-dubbed to get wider chorus vocals and some of the leads that got a little faster than my old paws can hammer out like they used to, but other than that it really is seat of the pants.

https://craiggibson.bandcamp.com/track/it-aint-me
Old 08-22-2021, 09:49 PM   #2
fHumble fHingaz

Cool - Lovin' that train beat! There are some wicked licks toward the end too! Nice.

This feels good, and the slightly 80's Cure-ish guitar tones paired with the "country barn-burner" aesthetic makes quite a compelling and unlikely combination that works really well.

Nice work!
Old 08-23-2021, 04:32 AM   #3
rustyStrings

This is um, excellent
rustyStrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 04:42 AM   #4
toleolu

Another gem Swingset.

Kinda had a Marshall Tucker feel to it.
Old 08-23-2021, 07:15 AM   #5
swingset

Thanks for the positive comments!

This one actually had a funny origin. Right after I moved to Austin, I found a dude selling a really cool DeArmond M75 (the one in my avatar) for ridiculously cheap on a neighboring Craigslist.

I agreed to drive up to Waco to meet him, and he suggested this little Mexican restaurant along I35. I pull in, and while I'm waiting I notice this area is pretty sketchy. The little hotel next door looked like something out of a Tarantino movie...super run down, shady people standing around it. Hadn't changed since 1964...the kind of hotel people live in, and probably kill each other in. I look and this skinny, country-dressed dude in cowboy boots comes out of a room and starts walking my way. A skinny, dirty blonde woman comes out of the room too and walks up behind him, yelling at the guy...love gone bad, lol. He turns around and without saying anything swats a bottle she's carrying out of her hand. He turns and keeps walking....she's standing there cussing him up and down.

Honestly, it was like something out of a movie, I just sat there soaking it all in. Thought right then there was a song playing out in front of my eyes, and I tried a couple times to write something about it. When I got the baritone and laid that beat down, I figured this was it so that surreal event got put into song.

BTW, the dude that showed up was about as much of a character. Super nice guy, probably 75 years old. Retired engineer from Houston that worked on the space program, and bought the guitar new when he retired because it looked cool, and literally played 5 chords on it before it sat in a closet. I almost felt bad stealing it from him, so I bought his lunch....true story.
Old 08-23-2021, 02:58 PM   #6
fHumble fHingaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
Thanks for the positive comments!

This one actually had a funny origin. Right after I moved to Austin, I found a dude selling a really cool DeArmond M75 (the one in my avatar) for ridiculously cheap on a neighboring Craigslist.

I agreed to drive up to Waco to meet him, and he suggested this little Mexican restaurant along I35. I pull in, and while I'm waiting I notice this area is pretty sketchy. The little hotel next door looked like something out of a Tarantino movie...super run down, shady people standing around it. Hadn't changed since 1964...the kind of hotel people live in, and probably kill each other in. I look and this skinny, country-dressed dude in cowboy boots comes out of a room and starts walking my way. A skinny, dirty blonde woman comes out of the room too and walks up behind him, yelling at the guy...love gone bad, lol. He turns around and without saying anything swats a bottle she's carrying out of her hand. He turns and keeps walking....she's standing there cussing him up and down.

Honestly, it was like something out of a movie, I just sat there soaking it all in. Thought right then there was a song playing out in front of my eyes, and I tried a couple times to write something about it. When I got the baritone and laid that beat down, I figured this was it so that surreal event got put into song.

BTW, the dude that showed up was about as much of a character. Super nice guy, probably 75 years old. Retired engineer from Houston that worked on the space program, and bought the guitar new when he retired because it looked cool, and literally played 5 chords on it before it sat in a closet. I almost felt bad stealing it from him, so I bought his lunch....true story.

There's a whole 'nother song there!
Old 08-28-2021, 01:49 PM   #7
Stinger

Good song - well written. This old Texan has been up & down I-35 a few times - now I know not to stop at the Mexican restaurant next to the seedy motel. Don't know if you play live in Austin, but man that's a great audience-grabbing story to lead in to It Ain't Me.

Blown away by the riffing in the last minute or so of the song - if I could play like that, I'd probably sing less, which would probably make many of my good friends happy.

https://soundcloud.com/bruceavery
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 08:29 AM   #8
swingset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
Good song - well written. This old Texan has been up & down I-35 a few times - now I know not to stop at the Mexican restaurant next to the seedy motel. Don't know if you play live in Austin, but man that's a great audience-grabbing story to lead in to It Ain't Me.

Blown away by the riffing in the last minute or so of the song - if I could play like that, I'd probably sing less, which would probably make many of my good friends happy.

https://soundcloud.com/bruceavery
I don't play live much anymore, but I would definitely preface that one with the story, lol.

Thanks on the kind words. I have a love/hate with lead guitar nowadays...I have a lot of pain from RSS/carpal in my hands and wrist and it's really impacted my ability to play technical stuff. I can still do it, but recording really kicks my butt because I have to play the same parts over and over and over, and I pay for it dearly afterwards (which affects my work too).

So, occasionally I cut loose and play fast and if I get lucky and stick the landing I'll use it in a take but I'm trying to re-make myself as a style player rather than burning the frets up.

It's been kinda cool in a way, because I was really nothing but a guitarist in my early days and only ever wrote riffs or helped other people shape songs, but now I'm doing everything and singing and thinking of myself as a songwriter who can also play. So, I dunno, blessing in disguise.