Human being with feelings

Default v6.10+dev0519a - May 19 2020

v6.10+dev0519a - May 19 2020
+ FX browser: add context menu item to add FX to selected tracks
+ FX browser: option to place search filter at top of window rather than bottom
# FX browser: fix context menu issues
# FX browser: update tcp/mcp FX button when adding to new tracks

v6.10+dev0519 - May 19 2020
+ FX browser: allow dragging non-instruments to empty TCP/MCP areas to create new tracks
+ FX browser: confirmation prompt when adding more than 9 plug-ins to a track in one go
+ FX browser: fix ReWire in quick add menu folders
+ FX browser: fix display of chains in folders in quick add menu
+ FX browser: fix leak when dragging instrument to new track and default FX chain configured for tracks
+ FX browser: hold alt when dragging from FX browser over an existing FX instance to replace
+ FX browser: when dragging multiple FX to empty TCP/MCP, create multiple tracks
+ Keyboard: allow unmodified F-key shortcuts from within edit controls [t=232561]
+ Linux: fix incorrect handling of function keys in edit controls
# Color adjustment: improve behavior related to saving state for modified/unsaved themes
# FX browser: tweaks to no-prefix display mode
# Media explorer: fix reading INFO IGNR metadata for Genre field
# Themes: save theme parameters when saving theme
# Themes: saving tweaked versions of the default theme automatically use the default adjuster script

This thread is for pre-release discussion. Please post other requests in the Feature Requests forum.

Full changelog / Latest pre-releases

Last edited by Edgemeal; 05-19-2020 at 03:10 PM.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:04 PM   #2
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
+ FX browser: allow dragging non-instruments to empty TCP/MCP areas to create new tracks
+ FX browser: when dragging multiple FX to empty TCP/MCP, create multiple tracks
While we on FX for multiple tracks, may I ask please for adding FX to selected tracks? Selected FX to selected tracks?
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:23 PM   #3
Edgemeal

Quote:
Not sure if this is intended behavior but,
When dropping multiple non-VSTi FX on empty TCP the FX are not added to the created tracks, but drop multiple FXChains on empty TCP and the FX are added to the created tracks.

Win10 x64
Old 05-19-2020, 12:38 PM   #4
vitalker

Quote:
Not sure if this is intended behavior but,
When dropping multiple non-VSTi FX on empty TCP the FX are not added to the created tracks, but drop multiple FXChains on empty TCP and the FX are added to the created tracks.

Win10 x64
Same here. Well it adds the FX, but TCP won't show there is any plugin in chain. When you open the chain, it will show only then.

Old 05-19-2020, 12:53 PM   #5
musicbynumbers

# Themes: save theme parameters when saving theme
# Themes: saving tweaked versions of the default theme automatically use the default adjuster script

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2020, 12:58 PM   #6
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Same here. Well it adds the FX, but TCP won't show there is any plugin in chain. When you open the chain, it will show only then.
OHh OK! (minor fix needed)
Old 05-19-2020, 01:17 PM   #7
EvilDragon

FX browser is looking cleaner now!

What I would like to suggest to improve it ever so slightly, is to increase the margin between the list frame, and the text in the frame. It's pretty close to the top/left borders now... Give it a little bit more space!

Another good thing that might be useful is having an option to prefer displaying VST3 over VST2 if both are found in the list.

And one thing that I am really missing relatively often when working mostly in TCP is, when we right-click the FX button, we have a list of FX loaded on that track showing there, with bypassed plugins in ().

It would be SUPER MEGA AWESOME if we could have a way to toggle the bypass from here, without closing the menu. Let's say by right-clicking the FX entry? So, just being able to quickly bypass/unbypass some FX in one fell swoop. Multiple clicks allowed, only left click on an entry or outside of context menu would close it.

Any takers?

Last edited by EvilDragon; 05-19-2020 at 01:27 PM.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 01:32 PM   #8
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
What I would like to suggest to improve it ever so slightly, is to increase the margin between the list frame, and the text in the frame. It's pretty close to the top/left borders now... Give it a little bit more space!
Makes sense for me.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:42 PM   #9
Funkybot

Quote:
+ FX browser: hold alt when dragging from FX browser over an existing FX instance to replace
Love these. Thanks! Still hoping we see a modifier to add the same fx to all selected tracks in one of the upcoming builds.

The browser looks so much cleaner now too. Just...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon
Totally agree! 5 to 10 px would be all that's needed. They're right on top of that border now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon
Another good thing that might be useful is having an option to prefer displaying VST3 over VST2 if both are found in the list.
I'd support this if it could be configured to work both ways. I normally favor VST2 to VST3, but I have a few VST3 only plugins these days (Unisum, Auto-Tune). But I get that others may be more comfortable with VST3 than I am.
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 02:07 PM   #10
X-Raym

With all this FX Browser improvements, maybe it is time to unlink FX Browser from its initial selection ? I wrote about it earlier this year.

FR: Make FX Browser linked to selection, not just to originally clicked track or item

This may solve requests like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot
Still hoping we see a modifier to add the same fx to all selected tracks

Though we now have alternative FX Browsers (FastFInder FX and Quick Adder) which can provide such features.
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 02:08 PM   #11
AtmanActive

Some VST3s can still cause Reaper to Crash-To-Desktop, while, thanks to bridgeing, VST2 can never destroy my Reaper session.
For me personally, a good enough reason to always prefer VST2 over VST3.
AtmanActive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 02:15 PM   #12
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
Still hoping we see a modifier to add the same fx to all selected tracks in one of the upcoming builds.
This would be extremely useful. As would adding selected FX to selected track as Vitalker suggested.

Quote:
I'd support this if it could be configured to work both ways. I normally favor VST2 to VST3, but I have a few VST3 only plugins these days (Unisum, Auto-Tune). But I get that others may be more comfortable with VST3 than I am.
I also usually favor VST2 but ED's idea is a good one. In a multi-category list/search if there was the option to filter either VST2 or VST3 that would make it a lot cleaner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
I would suggest #1, don't make it persistent when opening/closing the window to match how other windows currently function. And #2, give an option to clear filter after plugin instanciation.
Would still love to see an option to clear search on FX Browser open/close as well as clear after plugin instanciation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected View Post
1. it is needed to be able to move the folders up and down by dragging them, I mean really...it was requested tons of time by tons of people.

2. ability to create folder inside a folder in the FX browser to make some better order. (expand/collapse way..)
And another +1 for both of these. It would be really great to move folders entries via dragging for the whole left pane. When you have long lists moving them via right click up and down is really inconvenient. And subfolders are really needed for helping sort and organize better.

Thanks for the consideration. Really appreciate the work you're putting in on this.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 02:53 PM   #13
timothys_monster

Quote:
Love these. Thanks! Still hoping we see a modifier to add the same fx to all selected tracks in one of the upcoming builds.
This. Or even this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
With all this FX Browser improvements, maybe it is time to unlink FX Browser from its initial selection ?
timothys_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 03:04 PM   #14
Phazma

Quote:
It would be SUPER MEGA AWESOME if we could have a way to toggle the bypass from here, without closing the menu. Let's say by right-clicking the FX entry? So, just being able to quickly bypass/unbypass some FX in one fell swoop. Multiple clicks allowed, only left click on an entry or outside of context menu would close it.
)
What would be actually one of my personal biggest Reaper wishes (I think related to this) is a bypass button as part of FX slots in the MCP (I imagine it taking as much space as the handle for volume in sends).
The shift + leftclick method just feels to clunky for quickly bypassing and activating an FX. Most noticably when playing an instrument on the midi keyboard with the left hand and wanting to toggle on/off an FX that comes afterwards in the chain with the right hand. You always have to release the keyboard to press the modifier.
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 03:10 PM   #15
Edgemeal

# FX browser: fix context menu issues
# FX browser: update tcp/mcp FX button when adding to new tracks
Old 05-19-2020, 03:30 PM   #16
X-Raym

Quote:

Next step is same but for Selected Items Active Takes :P (with keyboard shorcut or as Action)
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 03:32 PM   #17
vitalker

Quote:
Wouldn't it be more logical to add FX to only one track in two cases:
1. When we click FX button on TCP/MCP
2. When we click Add button in current FX chain?
In all other cases adding FX to selected tracks will be desired.
Quote:
Hm, I think it may be better to place "OK" and "Cancel" buttons also at the top?
Old 05-19-2020, 04:22 PM   #18
Spacemen Tree

Nice to see the FX browser getting a rework. Great stuff so far.

Couple of suggestions, if you are so inclined...

When you drag an instrument, it displays the "Create Routing" window and also immediately arms the track. Is it possible to make this optional through modifiers?

Something like:

* drag and drop instrument = it get added to the track
* CTRL + drag and drop instrument = it get added to the track AND create routing window shows up
* CTRL +ALT + drag and drop instrument = it get added to the track AND create routing window shows up AND track gets armed

Also, is it possible to also have a tree view for FX Chains in the FX browser?
Right now you click on FX Chains and you get all of them and they always start "xyz folder/fx chain).
It would be easier to have a folder structure and do away with the folder path in the actual FX chain name.

One last thing, nitpicking here but, when you remove the VST prefixes the name get very close to the border. Maybe a couple more pixels of indent?

Quote:
Hm, I think it may be better to place "OK" and "Cancel" buttons also at the top?
Optional please. I actually think visually, after the search field being at the top, the FX browser never looked so good as it does now.
Can't really see any benefit to it.
If you activate the search field with the mouse, and then go select the FX you want, it's the same distance going for the "ok" and "cancel", either you go up or down the FX browser window.
Besides, instead of selecting the FX you want you can just double click it and the window will close and FX will be added.
And there's always "Enter" key.

Thank you!
Old 05-19-2020, 11:17 PM   #19
EvilDragon

Yeah, guys, it doesn't make sense to move the FX filter field to the top, but not move the OK button along... It wastes space.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:54 PM   #20
creal

Quote:
FX browser is looking cleaner now!

And one thing that I am really missing relatively often when working mostly in TCP is, when we right-click the FX button, we have a list of FX loaded on that track showing there, with bypassed plugins in ().

Any takers?
Me!

All of these suggestions could make Reaper life easier.
creal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 01:42 AM   #21
svijayrathinam

This Bug is still not fixed. Can you pls take a look at this ? its been there since Dev 517

SWS/BR:Select All Audio Items crashes reaper.

To reproduce try running the action in a project with video items, Multiple Audio items, Text items and Midi items.

Issue found on

Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6

Mac Pro Late 2013
3.5 Ghz - 6 Core Intel Xeon E5
Memory - 64 GB 1866 Mhz DDR3
svijayrathinam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 01:48 AM   #22
EvilDragon

And I told you that SWS bugs are to be reported on SWS github, not here.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:31 AM   #23
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by svijayrathinam View Post
This Bug is still not fixed. Can you pls take a look at this ? its been there since Dev 517

SWS/BR:Select All Audio Items crashes reaper.
Post it here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....153702&page=15
or even better here: https://github.com/reaper-oss/sws/issues
Old 05-20-2020, 02:42 AM   #24
svijayrathinam

Quote:
And I told you that SWS bugs are to be reported on SWS github, not here.
Oops !! Sorry ! I must have missed your post 😀
Old 05-20-2020, 02:45 AM   #25
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Thank you. Just posted on their github
Old 05-20-2020, 03:02 AM   #26
Triode

If we’re letting requests spill into methods for opening fx etc...

I’ve always thought that an option to float new fx automatically closing the currently floating fx would be slick
(From clicking the occupied mcp fx slots)
This option currently only exists within the fx chain window.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:16 AM   #27
musicbynumbers

+ Cut/copy/paste: properly account for hidden tracks when cut/copy/pasting items from/to multiple tracks

This was from a few builds ago but I just tested it again in case it was fixed and I missed it but grouped items on hidden tracks are still very easy to "break" with regards to moving, changing lengths, copying etc.

A repro is in the link below and would be great if this could be looked at as part of your fixes for hidden tracks Thanks.

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...09&postcount=6

Old 05-20-2020, 04:43 AM   #28
sijam

Quote:
# Media explorer: fix reading INFO IGNR metadata for Genre field
Awesome, appreciate the quick fix turnaround!
sijam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 05:03 AM   #29
mlprod

So it is still an issue happening with the Author field in project settings. It just randomly clears that box sometimes, I cant really find any logic to when it happens, but it happens quite a lot.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:02 AM   #30
Funkybot

Quote:
The Search Box moves to the top, the Clear Filter box moves to the top, the OK and Cancel buttons stay at the bottom.

When you dock the FX Browser, this can look weird. Particularly because the OK button can be visible while Cancel is hidden off screen. See below:

Last edited by Funkybot; 05-20-2020 at 08:08 AM.
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:52 AM   #31
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlprod View Post
So it is still an issue happening with the Author field in project settings. It just randomly clears that box sometimes, I cant really find any logic to when it happens, but it happens quite a lot.
I only use REAPER for personal use and was expecting Author to get saved with default project settings, but it doesn't, I had to save a project template and in preferences/project settings have it load that template now. Seems to be working OK.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:33 AM   #32
Tod

Quote:

Aah yes, I love the "Recently used" feature and the ability to open plugins with the right click, but as ED says, it would be very handy to be able to delete the "(plugins)".
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:43 AM   #33
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
expecting Author to get saved with default project settings, but it doesn't, I had to save a project template and in preferences/project settings have it load that template now
I think neither the project notes or project author gets saved with default project settings, which seems correct.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:46 AM   #34
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Aah yes, I love the "Recently used" feature and the ability to open plugins with the right click, but as ED says, it would be very handy to be able to delete the "(plugins)".
No I'm not talking about deleting them, but just toggling bypass.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:47 AM   #35
EpicSounds

Quote:
I only use REAPER for personal use and was expecting Author to get saved with default project settings, but it doesn't, I had to save a project template and in preferences/project settings have it load that template now. Seems to be working OK.
did you have a default project template in use before that?
Old 05-20-2020, 11:07 AM   #36
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
did you have a default project template in use before that?
No. (lame user here! )
Old 05-20-2020, 11:07 AM   #37
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
I think neither the project notes or project author gets saved with default project settings, which seems correct.
Yes that makes sense.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:10 PM   #38
Tod

Quote:
No I'm not talking about deleting them, but just toggling bypass.
Aah, well that would be good too, although we can quickly open them and bypass/unbypass them. I'm talking about if we want to delete them we have to open the FX window to do that.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 02:25 AM   #39
mlprod

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Correct. My issue is with the field getting wiped in current projects in progress, seemingly randomly.
Old 05-25-2020, 02:28 PM   #40
Reflected

Quote:
how can I get it back in the bottom?

where can I see the option?

I don't want it to be at the top!
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote