Old 12-17-2018, 06:43 AM   #1
Convinced
Human being with feelings

Default Bamboozled

OK This probably not a new question but I am evaluating Reaper with the intent of purchasing it soon.
I have installed it and set it all up, checked and rechecked the settings according to forum postings, instruction manual, etc, but although the mixer reacts to my midi keyboard and instruments also. I can't get a peep out of the thing!
I am running it in Win 10, 4gb of ram, Intel i5 processor with all the necessary drivers, AISO,etc installed.
What now?
I don't want to waste your time if this is something simple but I do find all the other settings very confusing.
Thanks
PS.
I.m trying to use headphones as an output but I can find no mention of this in the settings.
Convinced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 06:54 AM   #2
DarkStar

Hello Convinced and welcome to these forums. You'll find many helpful people here and a lot of useful information. Make sure that you:
--------------------------------
You mentioned that you can see the mixer reacting. I presume you mean that you can see the meter levels changing on the track(s) (and on the Master track). But you cannot hear anything.

Please check in Reaper's Preferences that you have set up your audio output. What interface are you using? Also, depending on your audio interface you may need to configure the signal routing there too.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:39 AM   #3
Convinced

Default Bamboozled

Hi
Thanks for those very useful links. Good videos.
Actually all I have is a usb M-Audio 49es keyboard and headphones at the moment.
These work fine on other DAW'S. I've obviously missed something in the set-up.
I had a similar problem in another DAW but I had to actually set up a track to get any sound. This makes no difference in Reaper.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Old 12-19-2018, 09:12 AM   #4
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convinced View Post
... but although the mixer reacts to my midi keyboard and instruments also. I can't get a peep out of the thing
My first guess would be that Input Monitoring might not be enabled on the Track.

Try to insert a virtual instrument Track via Insert > Virtual Instrument on new Track which sets up some Track settings by default (Record Arm & Input Monitoring enabled, Track Input set to ALL MIDI channels).
As shown here as example using ReaSynth: https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#BvSC-6qq1vs
Old 12-19-2018, 11:03 AM   #5
dea-man

Is the "Monitoring" button turned on?
Old 12-19-2018, 03:15 PM   #6
Convinced

Hi all
Thanks for the help.
It's working again, or should I say it's working at last.
It was the audio interface. I had it set to AISO but for headphones it is Direct Sound.
Having fun again.
Will listen to the all your music on SoundCloud. What I've heard so far is inspirational.
Thanks again