Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 12-16-2018, 12:53 PM   #1
Gajdzin
Human being with feelings

Default Muting output when tracks are armed

OK, I did search for this topic first, I swear

I'd like to mute the outputs of my interface automatically whenever the tracks are armed in Reaper. Can it be done?

Explanation: when I record a take, I have to remember to mute the monitor outputs of my interface, otherwise the signal from all mics goes to the FOH monitors that serve as monitors in my band's small practice room and gets picked up by the mics again... loop.

Many thanks in advance,

Marcin "Gajdzin" Bruczkowski
Gajdzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:14 PM   #2
Coachz

I don't know how to do that but I setup 2 outputs on the Master IO and uses the created a cycle action to toggle between them using the action SWS set master track output 1 muted. Theres unmuted and actions for more outputs.
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:18 PM   #3
Coachz

There's also the mute o matic for talkback situations.

https://www.soundradix.com/products/muteomatic/
Old 12-16-2018, 01:45 PM   #4
Gajdzin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
I don't know how to do that but I setup 2 outputs on the Master IO and uses the created a cycle action to toggle between them using the action SWS set master track output 1 muted. Theres unmuted and actions for more outputs.
OK, I know this is English, but other than that I don't understand a thing Sorry, I posted this in Newbies section for a reason...
Old 12-16-2018, 01:51 PM   #5
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gajdzin View Post
OK, I know this is English, but other than that I don't understand a thing Sorry, I posted this in Newbies section for a reason...
I don't know of a way to automate muting when you arm a track so one thing you can do is create a shortcut in Actions that will mute it for you. The action is Track: Toggle Mute for Master Track. Page 291 of the fine manual will show you how to assign a keyboard shortcut to that action. I hope it helps.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:19 PM   #6
Gajdzin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
I don't know of a way to automate muting when you arm a track so one thing you can do is create a shortcut in Actions that will mute it for you. The action is Track: Toggle Mute for Master Track. Page 291 of the fine manual will show you how to assign a keyboard shortcut to that action. I hope it helps.
Thank you, but that's not automation... If I have to remember to press a key I may just as well press Mute on my FOH mixer. The whole idea is to automate this so I don''t have to remember
Old 12-17-2018, 06:07 AM   #7
Gajdzin

Nobody...?

This starts to look as something Reaper can't do... I'm surprised, because it seems like such a logical feature - to be able to modify something (like mute master output) based on the condition of the track: armed or not.

I will put it in feature requests, but just wanted to make sure the feature doesn't exist...
Old 12-17-2018, 07:45 AM   #8
wolfdogg

Maybe this?
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=181077
wolfdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 10:54 AM   #9
ashcat_lt

How bout you turn off record monitoring on the tracks? Then you won't hear the live input to record armed tracks.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:06 AM   #10
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
How bout you turn off record monitoring on the tracks? Then you won't hear the live input to record armed tracks.
I think his workflow is that when he decides to record a take he wants the master to mute.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:36 AM   #11
ashcat_lt

I guess I oversimplified in my head. Like duh they probably still want to hear stuffin headphones or whatever.

I bet there's a way to make a custom action something like toggle master mute and toggle record arm for selected track or even track under mouse cursor. It would be something you'd do instead of clicking the track's record arm button, so wouldn't really be an extra step. Do themes or layouts allow you to add custom actions to the mixer strips themselves?
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 03:43 PM   #12
Gajdzin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdogg View Post
Thank you - yes, this sounds like the right solution. I'd much rather do this without having to write any scripts, but if that's what it takes, I'll do it. Half of the time I forget to mute the outputs before a take and then the microphones are recording not only the source instruments, but the output played through the main monitors...