Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 12-14-2018, 11:58 AM   #1
Halpas
Human being with feelings

Default Filtering midi-notes by „midi_note_filter“ not possible

Hello everyone,

first of all, I use REAPER version 3.71 and my Roland TD-30 (module for e-drums) for producing MIDI-notes.

I wanted specific MIDI-notes in separate tracks. After watching a suitable video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i1ZaO9CR6I) I created separate tracks and used the plugin „midi_note_filter“; I don´t need the midi_examiner because I know the value of the midi_notes due to my Roland TD-30. Nevertheless, the notes are not filtered. I still hear all midi-notes (playback) and all midi-notes are recorded. Input-effects (watch video from 4:50 to 5:15 min.) seems to be not available/does not work in the REAPER version 3.71. Did I overlook anything?

Thanks for your help,
Mat
Halpas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:48 PM   #2
xpander

Welcome to the boards Halpas.

You have a Roland TD-30 drum module. Are you using that or some virtual instrument inside Reaper for your drum sound playback...or both?

What are you using for the MIDI input? A V-Drums kit (or similar), MIDI from Reaper tracks, both?

What you want to achieve with this setup? It sounds like you want to have each kit piece on a separate track and then route the MIDI from all these tracks either into a virtual instrument track (like in that video) or maybe into the drum module?

I don't understand the part of hearing all the MIDI notes on playback. I would imagine you want to hear all the notes on playback, but filter what ends up on each track?
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 05:25 AM   #3
Halpas

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
Welcome to the boards Halpas.

You have a Roland TD-30 drum module. Are you using that or some virtual instrument inside Reaper for your drum sound playback...or both?

What are you using for the MIDI input? A V-Drums kit (or similar), MIDI from Reaper tracks, both?

What you want to achieve with this setup? It sounds like you want to have each kit piece on a separate track and then route the MIDI from all these tracks either into a virtual instrument track (like in that video) or maybe into the drum module?

I don't understand the part of hearing all the MIDI notes on playback. I would imagine you want to hear all the notes on playback, but filter what ends up on each track?
Forst of all, thanks for your reply!

I don´t use a virtual instrument. I use the drum sets on my Roland TD-30 for producing MIDI-notes and its playback inside Reaper.

Correct, I want to have each kit piece on a separate tracks.

Concerning "hearing all the MIDI notes on playback". I filtered for instance the bass drum on a track with the plugin "midi_note_filter" but I can still hear for instance the snare drum (and yes, I´m sure I filtered the right MIDI-note).
Old 12-15-2018, 06:02 AM   #4
DarkStar

Perhaps you could Record all the MIDI onto one track, then use "Explode MIDI by note row (pitch)" which will create the separate tracks. Right-click the recorded item and select "Item processing" for the sub-menu.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:36 AM   #5
Halpas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Perhaps you could Record all the MIDI onto one track, then use "Explode MIDI by note row (pitch)" which will create the separate tracks. Right-click the recorded item and select "Item processing" for the sub-menu.
Thanks, this is a solution. However, filtering with the "midi_note_filter" would be a more comfortable way (you already have grouped MIDI-notes and the settings can be saved for future projects).
Old 12-17-2018, 05:55 AM   #6
Philbo King

I use midi note filter for this. I set up a new track, add midi note filter to it, and duplicate it about 6 times. Then select the new tracks, hold shift, and create a midi send from the track with midi to one of them. Shift duplicates the send to all selected tracks.

Then change the midi note filter on each receive track to take only one midi note.

You do have to:
- turn off Master/Parent send on the original track.
- if you want to remix the drum levels using midi, add a velocity control plugin to each receive track and display the velocity control in the mixer (trust me, setting the faders to do midi volume won't work in this case. But it can be helpful to turn this on if you want to re-pan the idividual drums. Just make sure to leave the volume faders up).

It is helpful to:
- put all hihat tracks into a subfolder. Same with toms. And cymbals.
- put all receive tracks (and their subfolders) into a folder. You can output the midi back to your kit or to a drum VSTi from there if you want.
- putting that same velocity control plugin into the folders & subfolders lets you have submix level controls for hihats, toms, cymbals and the kit as a whole.
(Make sure the track with recorded midi is not in this folder)
- Save the entire thing (including the track with recorded midi) as a track template.

Last edited by Philbo King; 12-17-2018 at 06:06 AM.
Philbo King is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 06:04 AM   #7
DarkStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpas View Post
Thanks, this is a solution. However, filtering with the "midi_note_filter" would be a more comfortable way (you already have grouped MIDI-notes and the settings can be saved for future projects).
Plan B:
Perhaps you could compress a simple problem project file (no audio samples needed) into a ZIP file and post it here as an attachment so that we can have a look at it and see what's (not) happening?

How to post attachments (in Post #1)

Also, what are you using to create the drum audio form the MIDI?
Old 12-17-2018, 08:32 PM   #8
Philbo King

Default Midi Note Filter plugin broken

See this:

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...2&postcount=11

A quick edit will fix it.

I don't know if it was something unique to my copy or if everyone has it. Can anyone confirm?

Last edited by Philbo King; 12-17-2018 at 08:38 PM.
Philbo King is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 04:52 AM   #9
Dr Bob

Can confirm it was also 8 and 9 on my copy too! Fixed it as well!

Why would this have been changed in such a simple JS script? I just don't get it. Must have been a very recent change as I use this function quite a lot to split up GM drum tracks to separate tracks for processing with various VSTi's etc.

dB
Dr Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:51 PM   #10
Philbo King

Dr Bob - Darkstar says I screwed up and that the correct values are indeed 8 and 9. Sorry about that. I'll avoid looking at code before my first morning coffee henceforth.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:20 AM   #11
Dr Bob

Yup, can confirm this too - so easy to get bogged down with decimal vs hex!!!

More coffee!!!

dB
Dr Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 03:13 PM   #12
Halpas

Quote:
Plan B:
Perhaps you could compress a simple problem project file (no audio samples needed) into a ZIP file and post it here as an attachment so that we can have a look at it and see what's (not) happening?

How to post attachments (in Post #1)

Also, what are you using to create the drum audio form the MIDI?
Okay, see attached file. Effects (fx) are set to my MIDI-note for the bassdrum (C3).

"Also, what are you using to create the drum audio form the MIDI?"
If I understand your question right, I already answered it: I use the sounds of my drum module (Roland TD-30).
Attached Files
File Type: rpp Test_Midi_Filter - BD.RPP (3.6 KB, 88 views)
Old 12-19-2018, 03:14 PM   #13
Halpas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
See this:

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...2&postcount=11

A quick edit will fix it.

I don't know if it was something unique to my copy or if everyone has it. Can anyone confirm?
I changed it but it didn´t have any effect. Thanks anyway!
Old 12-19-2018, 03:59 PM   #14
DarkStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpas View Post
Okay, see attached file. Effects (fx) are set to my MIDI-note for the bassdrum (C3).

"Also, what are you using to create the drum audio form the MIDI?"
If I understand your question right, I already answered it: I use the sounds of my drum module (Roland TD-30).
Got it, thank you

(a) you do not need to RecArm the folder track,
(b) the MIDI Note Filter is set to filter Note #36. That is a C (here it is C1 as the note names here start at C-2),
(c) you need to turn on Record Monitoring (also known as Monitor Input) - right-click the RecArm button for the menu choices.

Old 12-25-2018, 03:05 PM   #15
Halpas

Quote:
Got it, thank you

(a) you do not need to RecArm the folder track,
(b) the MIDI Note Filter is set to filter Note #36. That is a C (here it is C1 as the note names here start at C-2),
(c) you need to turn on Record Monitoring (also known as Monitor Input) - right-click the RecArm button for the menu choices.

(a) Okay
(b) Okay
(c) Sorry, but this didn´t change anything in the situation. I tried the different options in the menu choices for Monitor Input as well as for Record Input. Anyway, all the MIDI notes are recorded on the track for the bassdrum.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:31 AM   #16
DarkStar

If the Filter is added as an FX to the track then it is used on the contents of the track, that is after all of the notes have been recorded. In my example I had all the notes (in the left-hand monitor) in a MIDI clip on the track and the filtered notes are in the right-hand monitor.

If you want to filter the notes BEFORE they get to the track for recording, then insert the JS FX an an Input FX (details of how are in the User Guide).