Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 12-13-2018, 06:47 PM   #1
jesus4c
Human being with feelings

Default How do I change this Item Setting default?

I've looked everywhere I can think of and but just can't see it anywhere, but I'd like to change a particular default for media items.

I'm working with big, long interviews and when I select a small section of one and insert it into my project, and then need to extend that item, it loops my original selection. I can fix it by right-clicking the item, selecting 'Item Settings' and de-selecting 'Loop section of item source'. But every time I need to extend a media item, I need to go through this process.

Where do I change the default so 'Loop section of item source' is not selected?
jesus4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:10 PM   #2
xpander

Preferences/Project/Media Item Defaults, Loop source for imported items.

Tip: Search box down left; loop, Find.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:27 PM   #3
jesus4c

Yes - that's what I thought as well, but it's already not selected. It's not in front of me ATM, but that's it, isn't it? I have triple-checked, but I'll do another check as soon as I get home.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:02 AM   #4
jesus4c

Definitely something odd going on here.

Preferences/Project/Media Item Defaults, Loop source for imported items is NOT selected.

So, I've experimented with selecting and unselecting it and the result remains the same - the section I've put into my project loops - unless I right-click the item and select 'Item Settings' and de-select 'Loop section of item source'.

I wonder if I have a faulty install or something. (I might try a fresh install tomorrow).
Old 12-14-2018, 05:44 AM   #5
gofer
-blänk-

If your item was recorded, rather than imported, the option to disable in that case would be "Loop source for recorded items", on the same preferences page.

Edit: Oops, just noticed you mentioned inserting it into the project. That's weird, then. In any case, none of those options will change the setting of existing items after the fact, maybe it's that?

Last edited by gofer; 12-14-2018 at 05:53 AM.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:33 PM   #6
jesus4c

Good thought, gofer, but yes - none of the 'loop source' settings are selected in Preferences.

I've also tried opening and closing Reaper with various settings, created a new project, done a fresh install and even gone back to V5.95 and still have the same issue.

I wonder if that particular setting has become corrupted somewhere along the line and I'm stuck with it for evermore. Everything else seems to be working perfectly. I wonder if there's a way (and I don't know what I'm talking about here) to isolate that particular setting in my configurations (or wherever) and delete it and try again....?

Not the end of the world, I s'pose, just a tad annoying to have to go in and correct this on every item I insert.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:57 PM   #7
xpander

From where and how exactly are you inserting the media items? If you are making a time selection in Media Explorer and then dragging and dropping that selection, the source will be looped.

If you right-click over the item in Media Explorer wave display, you'll notice that the Insert selected portion into project (loop enabled) is highlighted. I believe this same setting is used if you don't use the right-click menu but just drag&drop. So you would rather want to use the second option on the menu Insert selected portion into project (loop disabled), if you don't want to loop that part.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:23 PM   #8
jesus4c

Aha! That's it!

Yes - I AM dragging and dropping from Media Explorer. And you're right, the selection is looped. And right-clicking on the selection gives me the option of inserting it NOT looped. Still cumbersome every time, though.

BUT - if I right-click on Media Explorer itself, there's an option to 'Enable looping when inserting selected portion of media' and that was selected. It is now unselected and it seems to have solved my problem. Thank you SO much, xpander!!

I was about to post 2 other questions to do with Media Explorer, but - and I hope you don't mind - I might just quickly ask them here on the off-chance you might know the answers.

1. I have the project set to display time in Hours:Minutes:Seconds:Frames. I am frequently using audio items that are over an hour in length, but Media Explorer is showing time in Minutes:Seconds - so I'm often getting time as something like 156:46. Is there a way to get Media Explorer to display H:M:S:F as well? (Even better - H:M:S)

2. I video-edit for a day job and a very useful feature is the ability to go instantly to a particular time in an item simply by typing it in. Any way to do this in Reaper? eg - I need to go to 34:16 - I type in 34:16 and whammo! I'm there - no hunting and clicking around.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:18 PM   #9
xpander

Good that you found it. And thanks for mentioning it, I forgot the looping option was also there in the Media Explorer option menu. Unfortunately I don't know any way of changing the time display in Media Explorer. For the instant jump the easiest way I can think of is doubleclicking the Transport time display. That will give you a Jump to time/marker/region dialog where you can type the time. Or if you are on keyboard already, CTRL+J is the default shortcut for it.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:52 PM   #10
jesus4c

Thanks again, xpander. That 'Jump to' feature is exactly what I'm after - but specifically within an item in Media Explorer - not so much within the project itself.

I'm pretty sure it can't do what I'm after - I've hunted numerous times through the manual, but I might ask the question anyway. Thanks again!