Old 05-25-2023, 11:37 AM   #1
Hindu Stan
Human being with feelings

Default Stand alone vst host no screen

Wondering if it’s possible to load some vst’s on to a mini pc stick or some such and use it live with my guitar. I don’t want to carry a screen and don’t need to load or adjust anything. So it would be a high quality fx rig weighing ounces. I assume I can pre-load reaper etc so if I switch the device on I have instant fx. I’m not terribly tech savvy
Hindu Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 01:08 PM   #2
ashcat_lt

Sure. I don't know about mini pc or whatever, but my live rig is a PC in a rack. I have the Bios set up to "server mode" so it boots automatically when power is applied. I have a shortcut to Reaper in the Windows Startup folder so it comes up as soon as Windows is ready, and I have it set up to open the last saved project (pretty sure that's default). It is up and making noise before the laptop that I use to control is even fully booted. If you don't ever need to see it while playing, just make sure your input track is armed for record with input monitoring on, and all the routing and faders are ready to go when you save the project and it'll just work. Theoretically you could use a midi controller for things like transport control or even to adjust faders or fx parameters if you wanted to. So far I kind of don't totally trust it to run completely blind, but that's for my specific use cases which are a bit more complex than just a fancy guitar pedal.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 08:02 PM   #3
Hindu Stan

Thanks for feedback. I'll try it out on a pc-on-a-stick
Hindu Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 02:48 AM   #4
/AND/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindu Stan View Post
Thanks for feedback. I'll try it out on a pc-on-a-stick
What kind? Does it have the power to run a few synths without latency and/or dropped samples?

(Asking as I want to try this out too)
/AND/ is offline   Reply With Quote