Old 05-07-2023, 12:28 AM   #1
jet2
Human being with feelings

Default X-Touch-One Control effect parameters on mac

I would like to use x-touch one to control vst effect parameters.
I have a mac.
How does it work?
jet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 10:39 AM   #2
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet2 View Post
I would like to use x-touch one to control vst effect parameters.
I have a mac.
How does it work?
You could try doing this with the CSI extension for Reaper. The default X-Touch One configuration has a "Focused FX Paramater" option where you can focus an FX parameter with your mouse for example, then that parameter ends up on the X-Touch One fader for fine control using the fader.

It works really well for quick adjustments.

If you're interested, check out the CSI wiki link in my signature for details.

Basic process is: you add the CSI .dylib file to your Reaper\UserPlugins\ folder, then download the CSI Support files and extract them to your main Reaper folder. Then launch Reaper, disable the X-Touch One in Reaper's Preferences MIDI Devices so CSI can access the ports, and add CSI as a Control Surface in Reaper. Then you just add the X-Touch one to CSI's settings as a new device. The wiki has very detailed steps if you need 'em.

Once you have that setup, the X-Touch One will control the selected track's volume/pan, etc., if you want Focused FX control, you'd hit the F2 button on the surface, then focus an FX param. F1 to turn that off.
Old 05-11-2023, 01:13 AM   #3
jet2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
You could try doing this with the CSI extension for Reaper. The default X-Touch One configuration has a "Focused FX Paramater" option where you can focus an FX parameter with your mouse for example, then that parameter ends up on the X-Touch One fader for fine control using the fader.

Basic process is: you add the CSI .dylib file to your Reaper\UserPlugins\ folder, then download the CSI Support files and extract them to your main Reaper folder. Then launch Reaper, disable the X-Touch One in Reaper's Preferences MIDI Devices so CSI can access the ports, and add CSI as a Control Surface in Reaper. Then you just add the X-Touch one to CSI's settings as a new device. The wiki has very detailed steps if you need 'em.

Once you have that setup, the X-Touch One will control the selected track's volume/pan, etc., if you want Focused FX control, you'd hit the F2 button on the surface, then focus an FX param. F1 to turn that off.

hey, thank you very much.

this did not work for me so i looked at the basic configuration and tried to add the fx stuff to the home.zon configuration.
Quote:
Zone Home
IncludedZones
"Buttons"
"SelectedTrack"
"TrackFXMenu" //add
//"MasterTrack"
IncludedZonesEnd
AssociatedZones
"SelectedTrackSend"
"SelectedTrackReceive"
"SelectedTrackFXMenu" //add
AssociatedZonesEnd
ZoneEnd
because the referenced files did not exist i added
the TrackFXMenu.zon
Quote:
Zone "TrackFXMenu"
DisplayLower| FXMenuNameDisplay
Rotary| NoAction
RotaryPush| GoFXSlot
Mute| ToggleFXBypass
Up TrackFXMenuBank -1
Down TrackFXMenuBank 1

RecordArm| NoAction
Solo| NoAction
Select| NoAction
ZoneEnd
and the SelectedTrackFXMenu.zon
Quote:
Zone "SelectedTrackFXMenu"
DisplayUpper| FXMenuNameDisplay
DisplayLower| FXBypassedDisplay
Rotary| NoAction
RotaryPush| GoFXSlot
RotaryPush| Reaper "_S&M_FLOATFX|" // Floats the FX window, use "_S&M_SHOWFXCHAIN|" insteead if you prefer the FX chain window
Mute| ToggleFXBypass
Left SelectedTrackFXMenuBank -1
Right SelectedTrackFXMenuBank 1

RecordArm| NoAction
Solo| NoAction
Select| NoAction
ZoneEnd
but also with this configuration i was not able to control other fx parameters then general volume and pan

what am i doing wrong? is this a general problem with the x-touch ONE ?
Old 05-11-2023, 01:48 AM   #4
Zabelle_be

Hello,

You can also try Moss's script : https://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/Reaper/Reaper.html

And if you have any questions :
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....highlight=Moss
Zabelle_be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 02:47 AM   #5
jet2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabelle_be View Post
Hello,

You can also try Moss's script : https://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/Reaper/Reaper.html

And if you have any questions :
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....highlight=Moss
thank you, i am afraid that this specific function is not working with x-touch one and moss.
Old 05-11-2023, 07:50 AM   #6
Funkybot

Quote:
hey, thank you very much.

this did not work for me so i looked at the basic configuration and tried to add the fx stuff to the home.zon configuration.

because the referenced files did not exist i added
the TrackFXMenu.zon

and the SelectedTrackFXMenu.zon

but also with this configuration i was not able to control other fx parameters then general volume and pan

what am i doing wrong? is this a general problem with the x-touch ONE ?
I don't understand the issue at hand.

What specifically didn't work? I created the X-Touch One support files and the behavior I described should work out of the box.

Go back to the stock support files with no changes. Make sure your surface is in MC User mode. Then try again.

If you still run into issues, please post in the CSI v3 device setup thread. I'm more active there and there are other CSI users as well, so you may get a response more quickly.
Old 05-11-2023, 08:53 AM   #7
jet2

Quote:
I don't understand the issue at hand.

What specifically didn't work? I created the X-Touch One support files and the behavior I described should work out of the box.

Go back to the stock support files with no changes. Make sure your surface is in MC User mode. Then try again.

If you still run into issues, please post in the CSI v3 device setup thread. I'm more active there and there are other CSI users as well, so you may get a response more quickly.
boah, thank you!

i don't know how and why, but finally it worked...

without this feature the x-touch one would have been completely useless for me...
Old 05-11-2023, 09:02 AM   #8
Funkybot

Quote:
boah, thank you!

i don't know how and why, but finally it worked...

without this feature the x-touch one would have been completely useless for me...
Awesome, glad you got it working.

I have other control surfaces for FX, and I still use that FocusedFXParam on the X-Touch One fader regularly. It's a great workflow for quick adjustments.
Old 05-11-2023, 09:02 AM   #9
jet2

Quote:

i think one of the main reasons for my problem was that i only tried to set the focus on the fx track but not on the fx slider itself...

Last edited by jet2; 05-11-2023 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-11-2023, 09:34 AM   #10
Funkybot

Oh ok, gotcha.

For other surfaces, I like using different FX activation and control approaches, but the one-fader layout of the X-Touch One really lends itself to a bit of that hybrid approach where you focus the FXParam in Reaper with your mouse, then dial it in on the X-Touch One. And the X-Touch One will jump to any focused FX param when in that mode, so it's not like you need to keep pressing the button every time. You just stay in that mode, click on another FX Param in Reaper, and it's instantly mapped to the surface. Very easy!

Glad you're up and running with it.