Old 03-05-2023, 08:12 AM   #1
Jae.Thomas
Human being with feelings

Default Getting started?

Hello,

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this - but I just watched this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvS3HixNb1E

and I kinda loved the idea of not only learning something that will probably become more standard over time (?) but I am wondering if learning more about ambisonics and using plugins/IRs that are compatible will

make it so I can take a mono guitar recording

send it through an ambisonic reverb with a sample of a tunnel (kinda like in the vid)

pan it so that the guitar is coming from way back in the tunnel

and then pan two vocals that are coming from either side of you but closer in the tunnel

and that it mixes down in a more pleasing way (obviously it wont be ACCURATE because it's only 2ch but I mean PLEASING or at least a different perception) even in stereo than it would if I used conventional reverb

(and of course would be compatible with surround should I go that route)

if that is possible, is there a good "getting started" guide that would apply to me? I'm not yet looking into actually convolving sounds - I'm more talking about the end usage, and if this scenario is something that works with ambisonics.

thanks
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 09:46 AM   #2
nepenthe

https://soundparticles.com/resources/ebooks/3daudio
nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 09:47 AM   #3
Jae.Thomas

I don't think I'm looking into like the history, the theory, or getting into everything it just some kind of getting started as related to reaper. But I appreciate it and I will take a look later! Thank you
Old 03-07-2023, 10:28 AM   #4
plush2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae.Thomas View Post
Hello,

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this
This is a good place to ask. You can use ambisonics in the way you describe. A good panner like the stereo encoder from the free IEM plugin suite will allow you to position mono or stereo sources in the ambisonic sphere. Distance is not really a function of the panners so you would add that effect with volume, wetness of the reverberation and maybe a gentle high frequency rolloff. The most important thing to realize when working with ambisonics is that once a signal (mono, stereo, whatever) is encoded into an order of ambisonics (1st, 2nd, 3rd, ...) thereafter the channel count for that source and any subsequent ones needs to stay at the required amount for that order (ie. 4 channels for 1st, 16 channels for 3rd). Once processed and mixed that ambisonic encoded mix can be decoded to speaker feeds that represent the part of the sound field coming from that speaker location.

There are a number of us on this sub who do all manner of mixes using ambisonics, including stereo. I don't know of any modern, Reaper based tutorials but maybe someone else here does. In the meantime please keep asking questions and maybe we can make something like that in this thread.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 11:22 AM   #5
Jae.Thomas

Yeah that sounds perfect, and that's basically what I was looking for. I would be happy to edit my first post to reflect some resources.
Old 03-07-2023, 04:21 PM   #6
nepenthe

Quote:
I don't think I'm looking into like the history, the theory, or getting into everything it just some kind of getting started as related to reaper. But I appreciate it and I will take a look later! Thank you
Try demoing SPAT Revolution. It’s one of the most convincing spatial mixing tools I’ve tried and the company provides a special mod of Reaper which is designed to integrate with SPAT. And they provide plenty of helpful documentation which explains immersive audio.
https://www.flux.audio/project/spat-revolution/
Old 03-07-2023, 04:50 PM   #7
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepenthe View Post
Try demoing SPAT Revolution. It’s one of the most convincing spatial mixing tools I’ve tried and the company provides a special mod of Reaper which is designed to integrate with SPAT. And they provide plenty of helpful documentation which explains immersive audio.
https://www.flux.audio/project/spat-revolution/
that is amazing! Thank you.
Old 03-07-2023, 05:08 PM   #8
nepenthe

Quote:
that is amazing! Thank you.
You bet!
Here's that Reaper mod btw: https://www.flux.audio/project/reavo...at-revolution/