Old 11-21-2018, 03:13 PM   #1
NeoCortex
Human being with feelings

Default How to unfreeze and delete wav file

hello, guys, I freeze and unfreeze a lot of time. All previous freezes are saves, but what for? i want, when i unfreeze, to delete automatically that wav file. Is it possible?

At this time - I unfreeze all project, go into project folder - delete all files which have ''freeze'' in name and then freeze all again.

Last edited by NeoCortex; 11-23-2018 at 02:20 AM.
NeoCortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:36 PM   #2
foxAsteria

Reaper will never alter or delete existing files without your input. That's what "non-destructive" means. You can however use the clean project folder action to get rid of un-referenced files. It doesn't take into account files referenced by plugins though, so use with caution and double check after.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:51 PM   #3
ashcat_lt

Clean project folder also doesn't take into account any other projects that might be referencing files in that folder, so it is a very bad idea if you've got everything just in Reaper media, or if you have several "Save As" copies in the same folder, or are otherwise not completely sure that the folder contains only THIS project's audio assets.

Edit - Is there a script or extension that does what the OP asks automagically?

Last edited by ashcat_lt; 11-21-2018 at 10:00 PM.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 03:18 AM   #4
foxAsteria

Yea, that too. Or you can do a "save as" with the options for copy media and create new folder, to get just the project and used media into one location. I'd recommend saving all projects that way.

Sure wish there was a smart script to check all types of references...
Old 11-22-2018, 05:26 AM   #5
NeoCortex

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Yea, that too. Or you can do a "save as" with the options for copy media and create new folder, to get just the project and used media into one location. I'd recommend saving all projects that way.

Sure wish there was a smart script to check all types of references...
O, this is a good idea
NeoCortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 06:59 AM   #6
force_redo

Quote:
You can however use the clean project folder action to get rid of un-referenced files.
Would you happen to know (can't try it out right now) whether media items that have been frozen are still considered "referenced" when you "clean project folder"?

I.e. Let's say you record "sound.wav", add some fx and freeze it to "sound_freeze.wav". Would the "clean project folder" action delete "sound.wav" or keep it?

I'm somewhat in the same boat as the OP.

Thanks!
force_redo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 09:26 AM   #7
ashcat_lt

Honestly, it's much safer to just get a new/bigger drive.

I almost never actually use freeze, but I do Render to stems, Apply track FX, and/or Glue pretty often. I do a pretty good job of keeping projects in their own folders, but I never use Clean. When my "working" record drive (SSD) gets full, I move old projects to a bigger "storage" HDD.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 02:30 PM   #8
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by force_redo View Post
Would you happen to know (can't try it out right now) whether media items that have been frozen are still considered "referenced" when you "clean project folder"?
I'm not sure, but if you open project bay, you can see which files are referenced by the project and can remove references there as well.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:03 AM   #9
force_redo

Quote:
I'm not sure, but if you open project bay, you can see which files are referenced by the project and can remove references there as well.
Wow! There is always more to discover... Thanks!

For anyone who's curious: I just tried it out and REAPER acts how I want it to: Even media that is frozen stays referenced in the project and would not be cleaned out.
force_redo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 03:49 PM   #10
RJHollins

Now posting in several threads [sorry].

New to the Freeze process ...

But now I would like to consolidate this massive Project [200+ GIGs].

There are a lot of Frozen Tracks on the History list that I no long need, and
would like to clear those out ... leaving the latest/current track [with remaining FX]
in tact ... so I can continue working from this latest point.

Help please !
RJHollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 10:35 AM   #11
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post

There are a lot of Frozen Tracks on the History list that I no long need, and
would like to clear those out ...
Open the Project Bay and remove the references you don't need and then clean the folder.
Old 05-26-2023, 11:57 AM   #12
jbraner

You could also just save to a new folder (tick the box that says to copy all audio etc) and then delete the old one.
jbraner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 01:21 PM   #13
RJHollins

Quote:
Open the Project Bay and remove the references you don't need and then clean the folder.
Hi foxAsteria,

I just now looked at the Project Bay [first time].

I don't see ANY of the previous Frozen Tracks. Just the last one for each.

This is strange.

If I Right-Clk on the Track, look at Freeze History ... this one shows 7 freeze events.

And when I load the Project, it acts like there are many tracks being loaded in the background.

Am I overlooking something ??

These are new features for me.

Big Thanks !
Old 05-26-2023, 01:30 PM   #14
RJHollins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbraner View Post
You could also just save to a new folder (tick the box that says to copy all audio etc) and then delete the old one.
ok ... gonna try that too.
Old 05-26-2023, 01:33 PM   #15
jbraner

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbraner

ok ... gonna try that too.

I always do this when I finish a song - to make backup copies.
Old 05-26-2023, 05:49 PM   #16
RJHollins

None of these offered procedures are working for what is intended.
Old 05-26-2023, 07:21 PM   #17
RJHollins

Quote:
Doing the SaveAs [copy media], transfers all the 'freeze' version too ... not just the final/last freeze.

With over 30+ tracks to be aware of, doing it manually is not the solution I hoped for.

2nd. Just deleting the old freeze files ... well, what happens when Reaper looks for those now deleted files ? The Freeze History is still in the Project.

This could get messy :|
Old 05-26-2023, 08:39 PM   #18
Bruceqld

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Doing the SaveAs [copy media], transfers all the 'freeze' version too ... not just the final/last freeze.

With over 30+ tracks to be aware of, doing it manually is not the solution I hoped for.

2nd. Just deleting the old freeze files ... well, what happens when Reaper looks for those now deleted files ? The Freeze History is still in the Project.

This could get messy :|
If you have multiple levels of freeze and you delete earlier versions, I am guessing you will not be able to unfreeze the tracks. If this is not an issue it should be no drama. Just move the tracks from their location then open the project and give it a try. You can always put them back.

Alternatively, again if you no longer need to ever unfreeze the tracks, try glueing the frozen tracks, save the project, then run the clean project folder as the freezes should no longer be referenced.

Was the original track midi/vst instrument? If so, I would bounce the audio to a new track (or duplicate the track and glue the copy), then unfreeze the original track until you get back to the midi/vst and toggle the instrument off-line. That way the multiple freezes will no longer be referenced and you have the original midi/vst to archive. At that point save the project,then the clean folder command should work, (or you can delete the unused freezes manually) and lose nothing
Bruceqld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 09:43 PM   #19
RJHollins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceqld View Post
If you have multiple levels of freeze and you delete earlier versions, I am guessing you will not be able to unfreeze the tracks. If this is not an issue it should be no drama. Just move the tracks from their location then open the project and give it a try. You can always put them back.

Alternatively, again if you no longer need to ever unfreeze the tracks, try glueing the frozen tracks, save the project, then run the clean project folder as the freezes should no longer be referenced.

Was the original track midi/vst instrument? If so, I would bounce the audio to a new track (or duplicate the track and glue the copy), then unfreeze the original track until you get back to the midi/vst and toggle the instrument off-line. That way the multiple freezes will no longer be referenced and you have the original midi/vst to archive. At that point save the project,then the clean folder command should work, (or you can delete the unused freezes manually) and lose nothing
I tried the GLUE function. It did not change [or clear the previous freeze versions].

These are only Audio Tracks [Mastering].

One Song [ITEM] per Track ... with some 30+ Tracks.

Working from the Folder Copy ... I do not need/want any of the previous freezes [data or files]. There will not be a 'revert back' to a previous frozen state.

I do want to keep the current state as the new Start point.

This is a large Restoration/Mastering project, with each Song having custom processing, from EQ'ing to Final Limiter.

There are 345 files in the harddrive Folder. Totally 250+ GIGs. [many gigs are the Backup UNDO files that Reaper generates. I can clear those].
Old 05-27-2023, 03:49 AM   #20
jbraner

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbraner

Oh well, sorry. I thought it would just save the current frozen versions.

Oh well, the only other alternative would be to "render" the frozen tracks. Maybe you could select them all and find an action to render all of them?
That's still messy, I know...
Old 05-27-2023, 10:56 AM   #21
RJHollins

Quote:
Oh well, sorry. I thought it would just save the current frozen versions.

Oh well, the only other alternative would be to "render" the frozen tracks. Maybe you could select them all and find an action to render all of them?
That's still messy, I know...
I still appreciate the offered help.
Still hope for a clean solution ...

Wonder if there is a way to contact the Devs themselves to ask about this ?!?
Old 05-28-2023, 02:55 AM   #22
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoCortex View Post
hello, guys, I freeze and unfreeze a lot of time. All previous freezes are saves, but what for? i want, when i unfreeze, to delete automatically that wav file. Is it possible?

At this time - I unfreeze all project, go into project folder - delete all files which have ''freeze'' in name and then freeze all again.
Would like this too
Old 05-28-2023, 08:42 AM   #23
RJHollins

Here is my solution [from another thread].

I found there is more to cleaning up 'freeze tracks' then just deleting them.

Tried to link post # from thread ... here's the copy/paste:
-------------------------------------

Update:

After suggestions from several Users across a few threads, I've been able to construct
a working solution.

Thanks to the many ACTIONS we have available, I was able to assemble an Action order
that effectively releases unwanted Frozen files, and clears the Track Freeze History.

Using my 'Test' version of this Project, I had manually deleted all the old BAK files and BAK-UNDO files [which are huge in size].

The Folder went from 250+ GIGs to a 'mere' 64.9 GIGs.

Then for the Action Process.

Basically,

1. I copy both the TrkName and FX Chain of the Selected Track.
2. Select the First ITEMS of this Track.
3. UNLOCK the selected ITEM for 5 sec.
4. INSERT a New Track
5. Move Selected ITEMS down by one visible Track
6. PASTE FX chain to now Selected Track
7. PASTE selected Track Name.

That leaves me both Track versions.

I can then manually delete that original Track, which has the Frozen History, and am left with this New Track, Same Name, and Remaining FX Chain ... and a clean history.

Then to the Clean Project Directory ... select appropriate files, send to Recycle Bin.

The Project folder goes from 64.9 GIGs [347 items] ... to 23.3 GIGs [55 items]

A worthy effort I would say.

There is still a 'manual' element to this cleaning process, doing one track at a time. And maybe I could automate a bit more ... but

I want to keep eye on this whole process for the time being. The addition effort [still subject to User error], seems to be working. So, happy about that.

And THANKS to everyone that offered ideas on this. It was through a combination that I was able to get to this current solution.

Thanks again !