Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Video Editing/Mangling

Old 03-02-2023, 02:32 PM   #1
daeavelwyn
Human being with feelings

Default Try to make a lower-third but failed :-( (SOLVED)

Hello folks,

I'm struggling for a moment to acheive a lower-third in a certain way into Reaper. I first started using kdenlive and follow this tutorial : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEjZH1PRYPk

And I thought I could do the same into reaper, but I just can't figure out how to acheive the same.

How can I do that into Reaper ?

Last edited by daeavelwyn; 03-06-2023 at 01:50 PM. Reason: SOLVED
daeavelwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 05:09 PM   #2
papagirafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeavelwyn View Post
Hello folks,

I'm struggling for a moment to acheive a lower-third in a certain way into Reaper. I first started using kdenlive and follow this tutorial : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEjZH1PRYPk

And I thought I could do the same into reaper, but I just can't figure out how to acheive the same.

How can I do that into Reaper ?
Since you seem to be new to Reaper video, I took the challenge to make a short demo project emulating the first half of the animation using only stock video presets. You'll see that it is not so different from the other tool. Please note that I kept the video fxs at the item level to prevent unwanted side effetcs (and keep envelopes contained), a practice very different from what we usually do with audio.

https://stash.reaper.fm/46447/animation%20challenge.zip

papagirafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 06:02 AM   #3
daeavelwyn

Hello PapaGirafe,

Thanks a lot for the time you passed doing this, this example offers another way of thinking the problem and it could be a good alternative to my own.

I made here a project showing where I am actually : https://stash.reaper.fm/v/46453/anim...third-test.zip

My main problem actually is that I can't get alpha filters in the same way I made it with kdenlive.

So I've tried your alpha script, but can't figure out how to use it and get a good result.

Last edited by daeavelwyn; 03-03-2023 at 06:09 AM.
Old 03-03-2023, 07:05 AM   #4
papagirafe

Quote:
Hello PapaGirafe,

Thanks a lot for the time you passed doing this, this example offers another way of thinking the problem and it could be a good alternative to my own.

I made here a project showing where I am actually : https://stash.reaper.fm/v/46453/anim...third-test.zip

My main problem actually is that I can't get alpha filters in the same way I made it with kdenlive.

So I've tried your alpha script, but can't figure out how to use it and get a good result.
Wow! you really looked around for presets! It's the "Track opacity/zoom/pan" that messes up the transparency and unfortunately it's the only one offering rotation. I struggled with this preset for a long time until I decided to extract the rotation magic incantation from there and move it to "Overlay image" which solved all my problems. Here is the post with the extended preset.

Last edited by papagirafe; 03-04-2023 at 10:50 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-03-2023, 07:44 AM   #5
daeavelwyn

Thanks for your share PapaGirafe but I still get in trouble with alpha shape and png transparency.

Here is the link to the modified version : https://stash.reaper.fm/v/46458/anim...third-test.zip

And here is what I get for now :

As you can see PNG transparency isn't respected
Old 03-03-2023, 08:55 AM   #6
papagirafe

Quote:
Thanks for your share PapaGirafe but I still get in trouble with alpha shape and png transparency.

Here is the link to the modified version : https://stash.reaper.fm/v/46458/anim...third-test.zip

And here is what I get for now :

As you can see PNG transparency isn't respected
The "auto value" for "bg input" number is not right, 1 or 2 should do the trick.
Old 03-04-2023, 07:41 AM   #7
daeavelwyn

Hello papaGirafe,

I'm probably totaly dumb, but can't figure out where is this either the "bg input" nor the "auto value" you mentioned....
Old 03-04-2023, 10:49 AM   #8
papagirafe

Quote:
Hello papaGirafe,

I'm probably totaly dumb, but can't figure out where is this either the "bg input" nor the "auto value" you mentioned....
I assumed ( :-) my mistake) that you removed the "track opacity" and substituted the stock "overlay image" with the extended version I was referring to. Just click on "here is the post" to get it.
Old 03-05-2023, 09:34 AM   #9
daeavelwyn

Hello Papagirafe,

You were totaly right, I'm using the code you provided in your previous post, but there is no option I can tweak to get it to work as you mentioned.

Here is a capture with the "opacity" parameter I moved :

Old 03-05-2023, 11:53 AM   #10
papagirafe

Quote:
Hello Papagirafe,

You were totaly right, I'm using the code you provided in your previous post, but there is no option I can tweak to get it to work as you mentioned.

Here is a capture with the "opacity" parameter I moved :
(image...)
With the current structure of video presets in Reaper, the only way to acheive the result you are looking for is to rotate your image within the "overlay image" preset itself. Also the cropping tool you are using (a good one btw) and "track opacity/zoom/pan" are by structure repeating the previous layer and this creates part of your problem in this context.

I am in the last stages of preparation before publishing a complete library of presets that will, by design, address these problems and many more. In the mean time here is a revised version of my first example that includes rotation within "image overlay" itself:

https://stash.reaper.fm/46488/animat...lenge%20v2.rpp

Last edited by papagirafe; 03-05-2023 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-05-2023, 03:42 PM   #11
daeavelwyn

Quote:
I'm in the final stages of preparation before releasing a full library of presets which, by design, will address these and many other issues.
Oh ! I can't wait to use it!!

Quote:
In the meantime, here's a revised version of my first example that includes rotation in the "image overlay" itself
Well, the problem is that the rotating image doesn't seem to come from the middle blue line, which is not what I'm trying to do. But as for the moment all these experiments are only trials that I am doing to test the possibilities of Reaper as a real video editor, I am in no hurry.

I actually succeed in my goals using kdenlive which becomes a very suitable piece of software for my needs.

Thanks for the hard work you put into Reaper video capacities, if you succeed in it will probably a step forward t use Reaper as my main video editor.
Old 03-06-2023, 04:00 AM   #12
papagirafe

Quote:
Oh ! I can't wait to use it!!

Well, the problem is that the rotating image doesn't seem to come from the middle blue line, which is not what I'm trying to do. <snip>
Oh! that's what you were looking for. At this point just play with the timing of the envelope...
Old 03-06-2023, 07:18 AM   #13
daeavelwyn

hmm...I probably gonna seem totaly stupid but it doesn't change the problem.

Here is a comparison :

the left is from kdenlive, the right from reaper. On the left you can clearly see the rotating logo coming from behind the pink rectangle, on Reaper, the logo is in front of the dark blue rectangle and behind the text. Moreover, it doesn't seem to be revealed by the dark blue rectangle.
Old 03-06-2023, 10:27 AM   #14
papagirafe

Quote:
hmm...I probably gonna seem totaly stupid but it doesn't change the problem.

Here is a comparison :
<snip>

the left is from kdenlive, the right from reaper. On the left you can clearly see the rotating logo coming from behind the pink rectangle, on Reaper, the logo is in front of the dark blue rectangle and behind the text. Moreover, it doesn't seem to be revealed by the dark blue rectangle.
You just need to change the track order, in my version of the project it has to be the last track or just before the text depending on what you want to do. Video priority is set by track position in Reaper (see video->item visibility under project settings)

Last edited by papagirafe; 03-07-2023 at 03:28 PM. Reason: remove image repeat (overloads view)
Old 03-06-2023, 10:34 AM   #15
daeavelwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by papagirafe View Post
You just need to change the track order, in my version of the project it has to be the last track or just before the text depending on what you want to do. Video priority is set by track position in Reaper (see video->item visibility under project settings)
Yep, I've tried that but it doesn't mask the logo the same way I got it in kdenlive version. See :
Old 03-06-2023, 12:38 PM   #16
papagirafe

Quote:
Yep, I've tried that but it doesn't mask the logo the same way I got it in kdenlive version. See :
Look at the "horizontal wipe" I used for the text. You need it on the logo itself (before overlaying it) and choose carefully left/right inputs.
Old 03-06-2023, 01:49 PM   #17
daeavelwyn

Default SOLVED !! YEAH!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by papagirafe View Post
Look at the "horizontal wipe" I used for the text. You need it on the logo itself (before overlaying it) and choose carefully left/right inputs.
Man, you are my new hero X-D :

I am posting the full project as a template for people who might be interested:
https://stash.reaper.fm/46501/animation%20challenge.zip
Old 03-07-2023, 03:46 AM   #18
papagirafe

Quote:
Man, you are my new hero X-D :

I am posting the full project as a template for people who might be interested:
https://stash.reaper.fm/46501/animation%20challenge.zip
Glad to be of help! I gradually reverse engineered the video processor internals after fighting too many times against those layer puzzles. Thanks for leaving the final result as a reference.