Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 04-02-2020, 11:50 AM   #41
millsy131
Human being with feelings

Default When is Reaper like Cubase but as not as we know it !

Hi , Right, I am just going to come out and say it. I love Reaper , I have been using it for two months and I have bought it. Most of the things in Reaper are exemplary and it is a joy to use but other times I kind of miss Cubase . It is only because a) I am old and b) I miss some of the navigational qualities I had in Cubase. I know they are hidden Reaper but I don't know the technical terms to ask for them. Editing from left of the cursor is one and the other is simply quickly returning to the left of a loop. Can you help ? Thanks millsy
millsy131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 03:24 AM   #42
solger

Hi millsy,

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsy131 View Post
Editing from left of the cursor is one ...
Can you post a link or an example which describes what 'Editing from left of the cursor' means exactly? Or how it works in Cubase?

Quote:
...and the other is simply quickly returning to the left of a loop.
There's a Go to start of loop Action available in the Action List (https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#CZ1IliW_0p4) which can be assigned to a shortcut, menu, toolbar button, ...

I also posted a reply into your other thread: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=234367

Last edited by solger; 04-13-2020 at 03:29 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 02:27 PM   #43
Stimulus

Quote:
Hi , Right, I am just going to come out and say it. I love Reaper , I have been using it for two months and I have bought it. Most of the things in Reaper are exemplary and it is a joy to use but other times I kind of miss Cubase . It is only because a) I am old and b) I miss some of the navigational qualities I had in Cubase. I know they are hidden Reaper but I don't know the technical terms to ask for them. Editing from left of the cursor is one and the other is simply quickly returning to the left of a loop. Can you help ? Thanks millsy
Ditto, I love Reaper too. Wanted to say I'm on the Reaper Discord channel most days.

Did you mean the Playhead or cursor automatically returning to where you last played?

Yeah I switched from Reason after almost 8yrs use, sick of waiting for features. Now after using Reaper for 6 months (but had it a year) I have to say it's seamless.
Stimulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 02:30 PM   #44
Stimulus

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
Hi millsy,

Can you post a link or an example which describes what 'Editing from left of the cursor' means exactly? Or how it works in Cubase?

There's a Go to start of loop Action available in the Action List (https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#CZ1IliW_0p4) which can be assigned to a shortcut, menu, toolbar button, ...

I also posted a reply into your other thread: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=234367
That's great but most people want it to return automatically. That would be a great addition in the next Reaper update.

Do you know if there's a shortcut in Reaper to send a group of notes in the midi editor to the beginning of the clip you're in?

Last edited by Stimulus; 09-19-2020 at 02:40 PM.
Stimulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:31 AM   #45
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimulus View Post
Do you know if there's a shortcut in Reaper to send a group of notes in the midi editor to the beginning of the clip you're in?
Did you try the Custom Actions I posted in your other thread (which move the selected notes while keeping the relative offsets between them): https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=241750?

Otherwise, if you want to move the start position of all selected notes to the beginning of the clip, try using a Custom Action with the Set note position to edit cursor Action:
Code:
View: Go to start of file
Set note position to edit cursor

If you're looking for something else: can you please post screenshots of an example showing the notes before and after moving them (to the beginning of the clip).

Last edited by solger; 09-24-2020 at 08:58 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:01 PM   #46
Tweedlebeatz

Default RAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJonDoe View Post
Does anyone go on there anymore? Curious..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win Conway View Post
Sorry, I haven't been in there much recently, but i will try to get in more often if you need help
Ready Able and Willing
Tweedlebeatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:24 PM   #47
GladysAcevedo7

Default message error

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Update: Old chat channel is dead, but thanks to our intrepid users, Discord!
Hello, I'm a newbie to reaper and currently started the 60day trial but unfortunately, I'm having issues doing any work this far.

When I try to import/insert and audio into reaper I get an error message.

It says "could not import 1 of 1 items!"

I do not have an audio interface do I have to have one in order for reaper to read the audio I'm trying to transfer. It there somekind of prgram i need to have for reaper to be able to read the audio I'm trying to import.

Thanks GA
GladysAcevedo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 12:27 AM   #48
ramses

Quote:
Originally Posted by GladysAcevedo7 View Post
Hello, I'm a newbie to reaper and currently started the 60day trial but unfortunately, I'm having issues doing any work this far.

I do not have an audio interface do I have to have one in order for reaper to read the audio I'm trying to transfer. It there somekind of prgram i need to have for reaper to be able to read the audio I'm trying to import.

Thanks GA
No, you don't need hardware to import audio. What kind of file are you trying to import? Are you able to open it in any other kind of software?
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 05:14 AM   #49
ivansc

@Gladys:

Welcome to the forums! It will be useful if you download the free user guide and check out some of the excellent free video tutorials at reaper.fm

In particular, Kenny Gioia`s tutorials are really great. Succinct and to the point, VERY clear and I find them a great resource even after many years of using Reaper.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:44 AM   #50
solger

Quote:

Thanks GA
Welcome to the Reaper Forums!

What operating system (Windows, macOS, Linux) are you using?
And as ramses already mentioned: what's the file type or extension of the files you're trying to import?

--------

The error message is usually shown if the file type is either not supported. Or if there's currently no corresponding audio/video codec installed.

In most cases, installing the VLC player in the same bit-version as Reaper is sufficient (so Reaper can make use of the codecs included in VLC):
  • Reaper 32-bit > VLC 32-bit
  • Reaper 64-bit > VLC 64-bit

If that's not the case, there are also the FFMPEG libraries for even more additional audio/video codec support.

More info here: https://reaperblog.net/2020/05/howto-extensions/
Old 10-06-2020, 05:02 AM   #51
GladysAcevedo7

Default Audio Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramses View Post
No, you don't need hardware to import audio. What kind of file are you trying to import? Are you able to open it in any other kind of software?
Hello,
There are two files that it's downloading an mp3 file and an M4a. The thing is that

only one file downloaded as an mp3 the rest of the files downloaded as m4a.

My computer is a windows 10 Hp. I did not download the files all at the same time so I'm not even sure why it downloaded differently.

I'm, not computer savvy.

By the way, I have nor tried to download in another software, all I know is when it is downloaded another window opens and automatically plays where I then click on three dots to the right of the audio for it to give me the option to download.

Thank you for your reply.
Old 10-06-2020, 05:07 AM   #52
GladysAcevedo7

Default Audio Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
Welcome to the Reaper Forums!

What operating system (Windows, macOS, Linux) are you using?
And as ramses already mentioned: what's the file type or extension of the files you're trying to import?

--------

The error message is usually shown if the file type is either not supported. Or if there's currently no corresponding audio/video codec installed.

In most cases, installing the VLC player in the same bit-version as Reaper is sufficient (so Reaper can make use of the codecs included in VLC):
  • Reaper 32-bit > VLC 32-bit
  • Reaper 64-bit > VLC 64-bit

If that's not the case, there are also the FFMPEG libraries for even more additional audio/video codec support.

More info here: https://reaperblog.net/2020/05/howto-extensions/
My computer is a windows Hp, the files that it's not reading is m4a and when I downloaded reaper I made sure it was 64bit that was installed as instructed in a tutorial I watch on youtube.
Thanks for replying.
GA
Old 10-06-2020, 05:53 AM   #53
ramses

Quote:
My computer is a windows Hp, the files that it's not reading is m4a and when I downloaded reaper I made sure it was 64bit that was installed as instructed in a tutorial I watch on youtube.
Thanks for replying.
GA
I believe *.m4a is a proprietary Apple format. Not sure if Reaper will accept it, seems like it won't. Try converting the files to *.wav or *.mp3. There are online *.m4a to *.mp3/*.wav converters available I believe.
Old 10-06-2020, 08:22 AM   #54
GladysAcevedo7

Default Audio Error

Quote:
I believe *.m4a is a proprietary Apple format. Not sure if Reaper will accept it, seems like it won't. Try converting the files to *.wav or *.mp3. There are online *.m4a to *.mp3/*.wav converters available I believe.
Hello

How do I go about converting an m4a to mp3 or .wav? Do I have to download a software?
Old 10-06-2020, 10:03 AM   #55
solger

Quote:
Thanks for replying.
GA
As I tried to point out in my post (and with the link I posted):
  1. Download and install VLC Player. Here's a direct link for the 64-bit version: https://get.videolan.org/vlc/3.0.11/...0.11-win64.exe
  2. Try to import the files again into Reaper afterwards

If the issue persists, importing .m4a files might require installing the additional FFMPEG codecs files.
The other option is converting the files to a different format before importing them into Reaper, as ramses mentioned.

Quote:
How do I go about converting an m4a to mp3 or .wav? Do I have to download a software?
Audio converters are available in both types: websites (online converter) or software (to download).

Some links as example:
Old 10-07-2020, 04:12 AM   #56
GladysAcevedo7

Default File Requirements

Hello,

I'm a podcaster and I just finished editing audio on reaper to insert into Anchor an app for podcasters. I'm having an issue importing the file to the anchor website. I do not think it is reading the file. I'm doing all of this through my windows Hp laptop.
Any suggestions?
GA
Old 10-07-2020, 08:04 AM   #57
ramses

Quote:
Hello,

I'm a podcaster and I just finished editing audio on reaper to insert into Anchor an app for podcasters. I'm having an issue importing the file to the anchor website. I do not think it is reading the file. I'm doing all of this through my windows Hp laptop.
Any suggestions?
GA
What file type are you trying to import to Anchor?

Anchor website says:

"Supported file types
mp3
m4a
wav
mpg
mp4
mov"

More info on their webpage:

https://help.anchor.fm/hc/en-us/arti...es-into-Anchor
Old 10-09-2020, 03:42 AM   #58
GladysAcevedo7

Default importing audio files

Quote:
What file type are you trying to import to Anchor?

Anchor website says:

"Supported file types
mp3
m4a
wav
mpg
mp4
mov"

More info on their webpage:

https://help.anchor.fm/hc/en-us/arti...es-into-Anchor
Thank you that was helpful.
GA
Old 10-10-2020, 11:11 AM   #59
coupdegraceband

Default Newbie

Can someone explain why certain plug in tracks will sometimes have no sound on playback? I recorded a vst track and can hear it back. Then all of the sudden its still showing the audio but theres no sound. This has happened with multiple plug ins
coupdegraceband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 01:35 PM   #60
Pophead

Default Reaper/Steinberg issue

I'm a newbie to Reaper and not very savvy on computers. I'm using a Steinberg CI2 interface, but there are issues with levels (too hot even when the master is at zero) and when I do record the vocals, they are barely audible. I must have some wires crossed...can anyone help? Thanks.
Pophead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 01:41 PM   #61
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pophead View Post
I'm a newbie to Reaper and not very savvy on computers. I'm using a Steinberg CI2 interface, but there are issues with levels (too hot even when the master is at zero) and when I do record the vocals, they are barely audible. I must have some wires crossed...can anyone help? Thanks.
I suggest you to create a separate thread to pay people's attention.
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 08:21 AM   #62
Pophead

Default How

do I start a thread? I seriously can't figure out how to do it. Aaaaaggghhh!!
Pophead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 08:43 AM   #63
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pophead View Post
do I start a thread? I seriously can't figure out how to do it. Aaaaaggghhh!!
Follow the link: https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31
Then click New Thread, write in the title and your first message. Done
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 03:27 PM   #64
merseymale

Default Zoom L12

Hi!

Anyone know how to connect the zoom live track series to reaper (especially use its physical faders as a control surface etc?)

Thanks in advance
merseymale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 11:53 AM   #65
scarecrowcow

Default How set shortcuts for midi editor

Hi

Action «Item properties: Toggle items/track mute (depending on focus)» binding on alt+m
Alt+m work in general window and in the midi editor

But if I try create shortcut on Num 0 this doesn't work in midi editor.
Num lock on
How i make shortcut on actions in the midi editor?
scarecrowcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 02:21 PM   #66
Taciturn

Default RE: Specific Discord Reaper "server" & community that's set up & run by Reaper users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaviez View Post
There's a Discord server set up and run by Reaper users, you are more than welcome to join us there with any topic related to Reaper:
https://discord.gg/ccRKKwR

The server is in no way, shape or form an official channel, or linked to Cockos, so do not expect it to be any sort of support channel. It's about Reaper users helping each other in a more realtime environment with support for VOIP chat.

Please tell me how to locate the specific "Reaper-DAW" Discord "server" that is set up and run by Reaper users on the Discord site.

Once registered with Discord I enter the https://discord.gg/ccRKKwR URL -then I click on the blue box that says,[Continue to Discord] -then get on to the Discord site, where it says, "ADD A FRIEND" "You can add a friend with their Discord Tag. It's cAsE sEnSitivE!"
On the left I clicked on "Explore Public Servers" and I come to another Discord site page, -under "Discover" I clicked on "Music"

I then typed in "DAW recording" into the search bar -but came up with no results. (Then at the bottom of the page I saw "There are more communities out there! Try searching for them.", -so I clicked on that...)

I then typed in "Reaper", "Reaper Cockos", "Reaper DAW", and, "Reaper music DAW" and depending on this I would get from 29 to 7, 4 or 0 different communities.

The trouble is that none of these seem to be the "server set up and run by Reaper users" (that is -re the Reaper Cockos music DAW)....

Most of these communities are in languages other than English, and many relate to some sort of computer game, one related to tiny figurines of little grim reapers.

Can you direct me to the community that relates to the Reaper Cockos computer Digital Audio Workstation conversations ?
Taciturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 12:19 PM   #67
jarope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taciturn View Post
Please tell me how to locate the specific "Reaper-DAW" Discord "server" that is set up and run by Reaper users on the Discord site.

Can you direct me to the community that relates to the Reaper Cockos computer Digital Audio Workstation conversations ?

I would also like to find this, says invite is out of date is the discord disbanded???

jarope
jarope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 05:47 PM   #68
Taciturn

Default Answers from the Newbie user forum;

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarope View Post
I would also like to find this, says invite is out of date is the discord disbanded???

jarope
Hi jarope,

I wasn't sure if anyone visited this old "Sticky" thread anymore so I later posted a thread in the "Newbies" forum as well.

-TomL was kind enough to give us answers; -re:

TomL

The two I know are " The unofficial Reaper users group" https://discord.gg/73ugkdh3uM[ and "Farlon's Reaper station" https://discord.gg/JtCs8TF.

The first seems to be the most active.
I take that back they are both fairly chatty.
Taciturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 03:07 PM   #69
fredcalhoun123

Default trouble with Behringer Producer as interface and reaper

Can't connect to record!! it worked fine then had trouble! Then something changed! I have worked for two weeks disconnect etc. everything reinstalled. Installed ASIO4ALL v2 that didn't help. I know it a sound conflict, so I solved all that issue, but still cannot record. PLEASE ANYONE HELP! I have two up to date computers win 11 plenty of power and room.
fredcalhoun123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 12:30 PM   #70
jmgweb01

Default Can't Open FX Chain?

Recently, I've noticed that when I go to a track without any FX and want to "Add FX Chain" you don't get the dialog with the "Add FX Chain" option. But oddly, if I add any plugin, e.g. ReaEQ, then click FX it comes up. Is this a bug?
jmgweb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 03:21 PM   #71
john jewell

Default Working with musicmxl files

Hello world. I can hardly express my excitement for the Forum support. Heck there's a little problem haunting me today with Reaper. It seems that I can't drag and drop a musicxml file ( which I exported from Finale Notation Software ) into Reaper.
So I can't even begin to learn how to rearticulate dynamics over the midi files.
I actually paid for the Download and just can't get started until I know why my file wont load , but is offline. What ever that means, so do you guys have any ideas what I should do ? ....
my email.
johnpatrickjewell@gmail.com