Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 05-20-2018, 12:59 AM   #1
juliansader
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI editor theming: Color by track / item problems, particularly with dense CCs

As discussed in CCs colors, why all black in the end?, MIDI Color Map Explanation and other threads, "Color by track" and "Color by item" are not well implemented:

* In the active item, only the insides of notes and CCs are properly colored, while the border has some unrelated color. (I am not sure how this color is selected. It seems to be black for unselected events and some lighter color for selected events.) When CCs are drawn densely, the track or item color is obscured by an solid block of border color:

* All tracks use the same border color, so dense CCs from different tracks cannot be distinguished.

* In inactive, only-visible items, notes and CCs are drawn with slight transparency, which is a good idea to make only-visible events less prominent -- except that the brightness of overlapping transparent events adds up and eventually dense CCs in visible items are much brighter than CCs in editable or active items.

Interestingly, in inactive, editable items, the border color seems to be a darker shade of whatever random color is used for that item. This is a much better solution.

In this image, the track color is red, and the items from left to right are visible, editable and active. The visible item appears most bright and "active":

* When events are selected, the border color of the active item is different than that of editable items on the same track, leading to further confusion:

Suggested solution:
* Borders colors should be derived from track or item color, similar to editable items currently.
* Overlapping transparent events should not accumulate brightness.

Last edited by juliansader; 12-04-2018 at 01:32 PM.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:07 AM   #2
EvilDragon

Fully agreed! Should be a pretty simple fix hopefully - and it would make CCs look a lot better.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:12 AM   #3
juliansader

In another thread, Commala wrote about overhauling "Color by track":

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commala View Post
I was just having a look into this:

When you create a midi item with no assigned colour, they will be automatically assigned a colour from the channel section of the midi note colour map. You can see this by looking at that item's colour swatch in the midi editor tracklist.

So what is happening is that when the midi editor is set to colour notes by track, the outlines of selected notes are using this randomly assigned colour. What's weird is that if you explicitly colour an item, you'll see that reflected in the tracklist, but the note outline colour will remain the randomly assigned colour.

If the track has not been coloured, the entire note will appear this random channel colour, not just the outline.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:44 AM   #4
Tod

Another +1....
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:55 AM   #5
tusitala

yes +1000
Thanks!
tusitala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:06 AM   #6
juliansader

The notation view enjoyed several bug fixes recently.

Perhaps the piano roll can get some love too?
Old 10-16-2018, 08:32 AM   #7
_Stevie_

Yes, I'm up for it.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:36 PM   #8
juliansader

The devs are currently working on MIDI editor theming and transparency issues, so I hope that they will notice this thread!